Linux backlight problem

blake_l

Hi, I'm having a problem with the Enigma 3 model of laptop and setting the backlight on Ubuntu 11.10 using the NVIDIA drivers, I was wondering if anybody had solved the problem before?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
I'd love to help but have little knowledge of Linux I'm afraid. I'm moving this thread to the Linux forum, perhaps they can help you there.

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
Hi there .... I don't know the Enigma 3. On the Samsung range there are proprietary backlight drivers. Can I suggest that you post to the Ubuntu-UK mailing list? There's bound to be someone there who knows what's available. You can be certain there's going to be an answer. Regards, Barry.

blake_l

Fixed, there is a setting in the xorg config to enable NVIDIA drivers to link with brightness settings correctly. Option “RegistryDwords” “EnableBrightnessControl=1″

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
I've just put Ubuntu 12.04 on my Samsung Netbook and a whole lot of things now work 'out of the box' including backlight control. I recommend anyone to move to 12.04 - BUT don't use the upgrade method. It seems to be giving a buggy installation. Backup all data and re-install.