What was your first car?

pr1s0ner

I have a fun to drive car, and pay naff all insurance (a little over £100 a year) but still cycle a lot of the time. My commute to work is just under 13 miles each way, and its still definitely easier by bike

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Car insurance is more about "where" now than "what car"...ofc the car matters, but it seems more about where you are at (crime/fraud etc)

Ofc its down to the insurance companies, but I put 99% of the blame on the *********** that either drive uninsured or other such things...if you cant afford to drive...DONT DRIVE! (I would agree here French, there are cheaper ways to commute)

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Car insurance is more about "where" now than "what car"...ofc the car matters, but it seems more about where you are at (crime/fraud etc)

Ofc its down to the insurance companies, but I put 99% of the blame on the *********** that either drive uninsured or other such things...if you cant afford to drive...DONT DRIVE! (I would agree here French, there are cheaper ways to commute)

Id still say that most of the cost is age, atleast till your 25 anyway. After that then possibly area you live in comes top, but deffinately up to 25 the main factor is the car you drive and how old you are.

doobie

My first car was a 1965 VW Beetle, by the time I sold it last summer (Im 31 now), it would do a standing quarter mile in 11 seconds :D

I drive a Land Rover Discovery now, you cant rely on public transport for anything other than a trip into a major city. Oh, and most people dont like me taking a 10 stone dog with me. He loves, it mind. With a kid, a dog, a wife, a life and living in Yorkshire, buses and trains arent much of an option.

Plus the cost is staggering! I took my 3 year old daughter on the bus to town, just for the 'ride on the bus'. Last time I caught it, 25p to town, return. 5 miles to Huddersfield. Now - £2.50 - ONE WAY! I'll get my keys.....

Rakk

The Awesome
My first car was an automatic W reg'd (1980/1) mini (it was free, an aging car from an ageing grandparent).

Things to note, automatic cars tend to have one less gear than manual cars, therefore it basically had 3 gears, and it'd always jump up gears way too soon, so I therefore drove it like a geared car just without the clutch - cos otherwise it accelerated at the speed of a mostly dead snail.
Top speed: 60mph at the bottom of a big hill (go gravity!!).
Fun facts: going round a corner at more than 10mph made it feels like you were on two wheels :)
It wasn't the greatest of cars, but as a first car for a 17 year old it wasn't too bad (especially since it was free), and I never had to drive very far anyway :)

Corfate

Author Level
Getting my first car next year sometime, so i was thinking of something like a 1.25L Ford Fiesta, or a Volkswagen Lupo or something.. Not many nice 'low powered' cars out there..

mishra

Rising Star
I was given an FSO Polonez that didn't have a 2nd gear :D
That car was so much fun to drive!!!

Oh hey, nice one. I do know the car :) My uncle used to have one, heavy, slow, handle more like a bus not a car, but it looked ace and was considered .. a posh-sports car ^^
Was even featured in Top Gear.. hehe obviously didn't get good reviews.

Back to topic, my first very own car was Ford Focus MK1.

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Still on my first car, currently on month 4, only on its second engine, clutch and exhaust so far! (all went in the last 2 months lol):

ray.jpg