Cant Copy Files? Invalid MS-DOS function

jao144

Ive got an Optimus 2 17" and i recently bought some software.

On the box it says 8X DVD DL (8GB disk...) Its manual installation - you install the 'host' then you have to manually drag the library folder into the correct folder.

When i drag the files to ANY location on my HDD i get a message 'Copy File Invalid MS-Dos function' - The files will NOT copy across. Its a mixture of files PDF's (manuals for the software) .dll's and special extensions for that software.

The files wont copy across one by one ether..

I've looked on the net and people have related this problem to the Optical Drive??

the laptop is under 5 old - any ideas?

jao144

Error.jpg

micdob

I just tried to copy some pictures from my old laptop onto an SD card and onto my new laptop, but I encountered this problem with some of the files. Any help would definitely be appreciated.

AndyL

Try this trick:
In windows right click any where in your drive or directory (I suggest the desktop) then from the popup select new --> ziped folder.
Next drag and drop the the contents of CD up on the newly created ziped folder icon, after a short time the dragged contents are ziped to your disk. Then upzip it and you should get all contents without any errors. If this works then ignore the rest of the post, if not then read on....

It would tend to suggest that your media is corrupted in some way. It could be your hard drive but it is more likely your CD/DVD/SD card.

You could run checkdisk on your HDD with attempt to recover bad sectors and then try to copy your files again.

Here is a step by step guide if your not sure how:

Open Windwos explorer --> Right click the drive --> Click on properties --> select the Tools Tab --> click on "check now" button (under error checking section) --> select "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" --> click the start button.

however beware that this can take a long time (I have seen it take up to 8 hours on some old machines), and I think that it is more likely a problem with your portable media (In the case of the SD card you will probably need to try reformatting it, although this will loose all your data on it. In the case of the CD/DVD your should try cleaning it and retry copying the data, otherwise get on to the manufacturer and tell them you need a new CD/DVD).

Last edited: