Computer Freezes Every Few seconds

David

Hi, i bought my rig from this website last june, its set up is

Nvidia gtx 295 graphics card
8gb DDR2 RAM
ASUS P5Q motherboard
Intel Quad Core 3.00ghz Q9650
LG Blu-ray drive

I did buy it on windows vista home edition 64bit, but i upgraded a a good few months back to windows 7 home edtion 64bit.

The problem i am having is that when i am using the comp quite often (not everytime) it starts to freeze or "stutter" every few seconds, its only for a split second and then continues, its unbearable when watching videos or playing games. When it resumes after a freeze it continues as normal and does it again in a few seconds. There seems to be no logic as to when the computer does this, sometimes its does it right after a boot up others when im on games a even when im just web browsing it happens.

I had the problem on vista for a few months i spent hours trying to fix it, sometimes uninstalling programs would allow the computer to run without its little freezes for a few days, then it would return, other times it made no difference. So i moved to 7 hoping it would solve the issue, unfortunately not.

I have scanned the computer, fixed the registry, defragged, cleaned but still no luck. I have only left the problem so long due to the high usage of my computer, i need to use it so i cannot really send it off to be looked at. I have searched the internet thousands of times to find many people with the same problem but still no solution for me.

Some people have said that its running out of RAM, others say i have a burnt out thermistor on the motherboard and checking all these i have no luck.

My graphics card does run unfortunately very hot at times even with all my air cooling. This has been the suggested as my problem a few times but when i play crysis on its top spec and the card under large amounts off pressure and heat my comp has not frozen. Has anybody got any ideas or am i going to have to send my comp off to get it looked at? (last resort)

Maestro

3 THINGS TO TRY.

First of. In your bios there is a setting called CPU Margin Enhancement. I think its under the advanced heading. Anyhow this needs to be set to performance mode.
Secondly, if the above does not correct the issue. Try taking out half of your memory modules. See if it makes a difference. If not swap the over. Put these two modules back in and take the other two out. You will soon determine if one of the modules was faulty.
And finally, ensure your bios is updated.

David

Hi thanks for the suggestions, the BIOS tip unfortunately did not work. I think i would rather send it off than checking the RAM myself, im not to good with computer hardware. I may run memtest86, do you think that would work to check the ram? Something more strange is happening, when I check speed fan today my graphics card was running at 85C idle that seems far to high, and i have also noticed when the comp is put under intensive pressure the seems to be a loss a small noise which i suspect to be the GTX295 fan? I think all these problems are calling a send back to base. I will ensure my drivers are updated but I feel it will not make a difference

David

Still no luck with trying anything, i removed "Bonjour" the apple program and that has helped with the health of the comp but still the lagging persists, i have been suggested to roll back to some older drivers with windows but im afraid i cannot pinpoint the time when it started, so i cannot roll back with ease. any other suggestions?

Gorman

Author Level
Give us a call on 0844 499 4000, any further suggestions here would be a blind stab in the dark.