Just Ordered.. 1500£ Laptop..

Bricey

Hi.
Ordered this laptop, it came to 1500£ all inc.
I'm not the best with computer knowledge, but I know a little. I like to game and have no room in my apartment, hence the laptop.
I wondered if it was any good? (On reflection I wish I'd done this before buying!)

Chassis & Display Vortex II: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card 2.0GB nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580M - DirectX® 11 (17.3" Vortex II)
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ULTIMATE-N 6300 (450Mbps)
USB Options 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Laptop Cooling Stands NONE
Carry Case NONE
Monitor NONE
Keyboard & Mouse INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Speakers NONE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Headsets (VOIP) NONE
Surge Protection NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Home Installation NONE
Dead Pixel Guarantee NONE
Insurance NONE
Data Recovery NONE

Have I done anything wrong? It's down as "Dispatched" so I can't edit it now unfortunately.
Wont be playing super hardcore games like Crysis 2, more like World of Warcraft and Starcraft 2. (For now)

Corfate

Author Level
Looks alright to me, although i know little about laptops :p

I would have gone for the Silver warranty though for £5 :)

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
That is a very good spec, the parts you chose are all very good, best of luck, enjoy it! You seem to have more computing knowledge than you realised!

Tracker

Enthusiast
I've got a similar, but lesser specc'd laptop that breezes through most games, everything there is more than up to scratch! that laptop will easily be able to take on Crysis 2 at relatively decent settings i'd wager. WoW won't be a problem, and Starcraft II should run smoothly on medium to high settings without any trouble at all.

though as Corfate has noted, you're spending £1,500 on a laptop, you really should at least go for the silver warranty, if not a gold one.. why not phone PCS up and see if you'd be allowed to add that into your order? (you never know unless you ask) £5 is well worth that extra piece of mind!

Last edited:

Bricey

What will I get for the 5£ silver warranty?

I am not utterly useless with chosing specs, but I do read about them and watch youtube reviews on components. Like I saw the 580m was getting some good feedback, so I threw that in there.. and people were having problems with the 1600mhz ram or whatever, so went with 1333mhz etc..

Cheers for the replies. Glad to hear it'll handle Starcraft! :- )

Bricey

Hve just emailed PCS asking them to bill my account for an addition "Silver Warranty." Finger's crossed.

Bricey

Well, my Laptop came. Turned it on (heard windows load up) but screen was black. They're coming to collect it on Monday............

Grr........................................... Don't they test them before they leave the warehouse? lol

lemunk

ouch unlucky mate, could be a loose lead that past testing but has come undone in transit. Got mine delivered today, still at work though so i wont find out till tonight if mine is working or not, should do tbh PCS are pretty good tbh.

Rakk

The Awesome
Grr........................................... Don't they test them before they leave the warehouse? lol

They do plenty of testing, however, as with anything delivered, things can get damaged or dislodged in transit :(

Bricey

Ah poop, sucks to have a loose wire or something. If that happened in transit..... god knows if it'll happen again haha. I hope they tape the wire down!

Other than that, I could hear windows loading in the background and it seemed fast load! :-D It'll be good i'm sure.

Cheers for all the replies.

Bricey

Still haven't had the pleasure of using this laptop. It's still being fixed, wonderful.
Starting to wish I went elsewhere :-/

TheKeir

Bright Spark
Well, my Laptop came. Turned it on (heard windows load up) but screen was black. They're coming to collect it on Monday............

Sounds like something got disconnected in delivery. They do indeed do lots of testing when it's being built.

deabur

Still haven't had the pleasure of using this laptop. It's still being fixed, wonderful.
Starting to wish I went elsewhere :-/

Thats not good! Hopefully you will receive it soon ... This sort of thing does put doubts in new buyers minds

Dean