Laptop for editing ...

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Premium is what I use and is fine. It is what most people use and you shouldn't see a difference. SATA 3 means SATA 6GB/s you have picked a SATA 3GB/s drive which is SATA 2. Sorry for not making myself clear first time! Also, good choice in the moving away from macs!

deabur

Premium is what I use and is fine. It is what most people use and you shouldn't see a difference. SATA 3 means SATA 6GB/s you have picked a SATA 3GB/s drive which is SATA 2. Sorry for not making myself clear first time! Also, good choice in the moving away from macs!

No worries I kinda guessed about the 6GB/s thing when I reviewed the options :)

Cheers again for the great help

Dean

AndyL

TBH the SATA 2 vs SATA 3 is sort of like the RAM 1333MHz vs the 1600MHz - you wont really see much real world performance increase between the two. Also I regularly use Adobe Creation Suite CS5 and can tell you that if you are planning on using programs such Adobe After Effects then 16GB of RAM is the way to go! (I normally use 11GB+), however if you are just going to be using Premier Pro to edit movie clips then 8GB should be fine.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Hmm, don't know whether I would quite agree with the sata 2 and sata 3 thing. There will be a difference of about 3-5s on boot time, possibly more which isn't that bad.

AndyL

Hmm, don't know whether I would quite agree with the sata 2 and sata 3 thing. There will be a difference of about 3-5s on boot time, possibly more which isn't that bad.

True, there would be a few seconds (or possibly more) difference on boot time, but, the general responsiveness of the system wont feel any different as you are reducing times that are already incredible small to begin with. e.g. firefox opens on my OCZ Vertex in less than a second (it feels instant) and performing the same task on a SATA 3 SSD would only shave milliseconds of the time (which would not be noticable to the user). There certainly is any harm in getting a SATA 3 SSD however if cost is a massive issue then some money can be saved by selecting one of the Intel 320 series (there is a £90 difference between the 510 and 320 series at 120GB - 09/01/2012).

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
True, there would be a few seconds (or possibly more) difference on boot time, but, the general responsiveness of the system wont feel any different as you are reducing times that are already incredible small to begin with. e.g. firefox opens on my OCZ Vertex in less than a second (it feels instant) and performing the same task on a SATA 3 SSD would only shave milliseconds of the time (which would not be noticable to the user). There certainly is any harm in getting a SATA 3 SSD however if cost is a massive issue then some money can be saved by selecting one of the Intel 320 series (there is a £90 difference between the 510 and 320 series at 120GB - 09/01/2012).

That is very true, however, if you get the kingston hyperx, the price difference isn't quite as bad.

deabur

Cheers guys for making it clearer !!??? Lol

I, for now, will only be editing between 5-20min films... The raw footage will be archived to Ext HDDs then imported as and when needed for edit, When finished all will be saved back to the external ready for the next project ... I'm hoping 8GB (2x4) will be plenty? I tend not to use lots of effects just basic colour correction, fades etc...

Dean

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Should be enough. You can't get more with the optimus so unless you want to upgrade to the vortex, you don't really have a choice. For the HDDs then, you probably don't need a black scorpio 750GB then so you could save money here and get the seagate or the 250Gb scorpio black if you can sacrifice the space. For an SSD, I would suggest a SATA 3 drive, the kingston will be fine, if you can afford it, an intel would be very reliable although not quite as fast.

deabur

One final question

This spec laptop is around £1200 ... This has eaten into my edit software estimate, so I may need to shave it down to just under £1000 what would be your recommendations??? What adjustments would you make and still have an awesome HD editing system

Cheers

Dean

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
The SSD is the luxury here however if you still want it you could drop the hdd a bit the screen could be dropped and the wifi card to the minimum. Keeping hdds may be good for editing you could probably drop the gpu as well unless you want to game a lot.

deabur

The SSD is the luxury here however if you still want it you could drop the hdd a bit the screen could be dropped and the wifi card to the minimum. Keeping hdds may be good for editing you could probably drop the gpu as well unless you want to game a lot.

Cheers ... Will take a look

Do you or anyone know if this is 'PCI Express card' compatible ... My MacBookPro had a slot I could pop my SxS cards straight into ??? I maybe able to link the Camera straight into the Laptop but a dedicated slot would be better

Dean