Extra fan

rosgor

Bronze Level Poster
I want to add a fan with LED lights on the side of my computer on the case coolmaster elite 310 with a window on the side if it matters.

I want to know what fan i need and how i would connect it to the motherboard or what ever it connects to :p

intro1.jpg

Thats the case, That extra fan space under the side window is where i want the fan

Clearer side picture :
004.jpg

NMEBowen

Master Poster
looks like it would take a 140mm fan but cant be sure best is to look see if theres any case information booklet in your welcome pack then order the one specified. if your using it as a intake id also strogly recommend a dust filter it will slightly diminish the brightness of the led light but it will save your parts from being covered in dirt. BitFenix Spectre, Antec Two-Cool or if your feeling rich Enermax Apollish Vegas are all good 140mm case fans with led`s.

Corfate

Author Level
I have the same case, well, it's sitting next to me with nothing in it, but still, it's there :p

It takes a 80mm and a 120mm on the side panel, so you'd be best off Getting a Cooler Master Sickelflow Blue LED 120mm. I got mine from amazon, about £9 including P&P :) Great fans. You can also fit a fan at the front of that case, a 120mm if your interested.

If you have headers on the mobo for fans, connect it to that, if you don't, it'll have to be connected to the PSU. I strongly recommend getting a fan controller , as it'll be loud if it's running at max from the PSU. You can see in my sig the fan controller i have, again about £11 from amazon :)

top1.jpg

Last edited:

rosgor

Bronze Level Poster
I have the same case, well, it's sitting next to me with nothing in it, but still, it's there :p

It takes a 80mm and a 120mm on the side panel, so you'd be best off Getting a Cooler Master Sickelflow Blue LED 120mm. I got mine from amazon, about £9 including P&P :) Great fans. You can also fit a fan at the front of that case, a 120mm if your interested.

If you have headers on the mobo for fans, connect it to that, if you don't, it'll have to be connected to the PSU. I strongly recommend getting a fan controller , as it'll be loud if it's running at max from the PSU. You can see in my sig the fan controller i have, again about £11 from amazon :)

top1.jpg

I shall have to look into this. Thanks for the help Repped :)

Corfate

Author Level
Are the fan controllers easy enough to install?

Yes the are. You take out the front panel which you want to install it in, slide it in from the front, screw it in, attach the fans to it, attach the molex to the PSU molex and tidy te cables of you want :) easy peezy lemon squeezy.

truegrace

Enthusiast
Cool, will probably have a stab at installing one meself.
Was gonna get the sentry when I order me pc in 10 days but with money being tight, and 50 odd notes for the sentry, I would be better off doing it meself and getting a cheap one :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
If you're looking for a good fan controller, look toward Lamptron models, very good if i say so myself. you can find more info about lamptron products here

Corfate

Author Level
With that case, theres about 2 places to put extra fans? (one on the side, one at the front) You could just get a £10 fan controller with 3 knobs on it :) Think mine was about £12. Has 3 fan connectors and 2 usb ports :)

rosgor

Bronze Level Poster
With that case, theres about 2 places to put extra fans? (one on the side, one at the front) You could just get a £10 fan controller with 3 knobs on it :) Think mine was about £12. Has 3 fan connectors and 2 usb ports :)

Which fan controller do you have?

And what would it connect to? Directly to the PSU?

Corfate

Author Level
showimage.asp

Akasa AK-FC-06BK fan controller

It has one molex that goes into a molex coming off the PSU, then you simply wire up the fan's to the fan connectors at the back of the controller :)

rosgor

Bronze Level Poster
So All i have to do is open the side panel up, put in the fan controller from the front, connect it into a wire which should be already hanging out and connect fans to the fan controller?

Corfate

Author Level
So All i have to do is open the side panel up, put in the fan controller from the front, connect it into a wire which should be already hanging out and connect fans to the fan controller?

Correct :) Remember to screw it in, and make sure to cable tie the wires away. Looks better and improves airflow :)

rosgor

Bronze Level Poster
Hm, i was just looking at my case and the fan controller is 3.5" where would that fit? The bays I'm seeing are rather too big for that :s