fan suggestions for SUPER QUIET 22dBA COOLER and case fans

truegrace

Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Currently loving my cm690 ii, currently working on extra/new fans before I post a full review and a load if pics.

What I want to do is have an extra fan on my SUPER QUIET 22dBA COOLER to push/pull, and am after suggestions of what fans to buy.

Should I just try and find another fan the same as the stock fan or buy 2 new ones? I believe they are 92mm.

For the rest of the case I am going to remove the stock exhaust from the top of the case and put in either 2 140mm vipers, or 2 which apparently shift stupid amounts of air.

I already have a fan controller installed so the noise from the scythe fans isn't so much of an issue.

Will then use the removed 140mm stock fan as an exhaust on the side of the case. Not sure if this is the ideal solution, but my gtx570 seems to pump out quite a bit of warm air at the same level as the side fans so seems right to remove that air rather than pushing cool air against it probably pushing the warm air back into the gpu.

Was going to put another 1, possibly 2 either vipers or scythes at the bottom of the case for intake, and possibly hang a 120 sickleflow off the back of the hdd cage to try and pull some air through from the not so great stock front fan.

Any better suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
from what ive read, you cant really do that, fans dont come with the metal clips remember..

you'd be best off buying a quiet push/pull cooler, my voodoo does me good and is pretty quiet at low speeds although the yellow wont match your system

truegrace

Enthusiast
The metal clips can be bought for not very much though, so was hoping they could just be added.
If they can't its not a massive deal, as I've yet to reach any high temps under load, but figured if I was gonna be adding a load of bits I might as well add another fan to the cooler while I was at it :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Hi truegrace, can you please not post links of competitors on the forums please, thanks,

But you cant really have a push pull config on that cooler, to be honest I doubt you would see much benefit as that cooler is not designed for push/pull. I'd leave it as it is for now maybe look at getting a different cooler if you felt the need once ya case is all setup with ya case fans.

You certainly want intake on the side panel, to feed the gpu cool air, that in turn the 570 uses to cool itself, then it exhausts that air out of the back of the card. If you were to have a side fan set to exhaust, you would in a sense be starving the 570 of cool air.

Personally if it was my case, I'd look at getting matching case fans, so everything looks slick.

truegrace

Enthusiast
You certainly want intake on the side panel, to feed the gpu cool air, that in turn the 570 uses to cool itself, then it exhausts that air out of the back of the card. If you were to have a side fan set to exhaust, you would in a sense be starving the 570 of cool air.

Personally if it was my case, I'd look at getting matching case fans, so everything looks slick.

My original plan was a side intake, but my card def pushes more hot air out the side than the back, and with the location of the side fan a intake would just push that warm air back in the card rather than feeding it cool air.

As it stands now I have my sickleflow set to exhaust from the side panel and there is more warm feeling air out of there than the top and rear exhaust, even with the sickleflow set to low rpm. Only dropped the CPU temp by a degree or 2 having the exhaust there but was no improvement with having it as intake.

Once the base case fans are in the fan hanging off the hdd cage should push more air towards the intakes of the gpu than a side fan ever could due to the positioning of it. Think the only way a side fan intake would work in the cm690 with my set up is if it was about 2 inches lower, I'm not taking a dremel to me case just yet though.

Will probably buy 4 scythe 1900 rpms for now and see how the temps are.

Apologies for posting the link as well, didn't think.

truegrace

Enthusiast
Just been doing a bit more reading on the 570 exhausts and def don't want a intake as a side fan as the card does pump most of its heat out randomly into the case, will put tge stock 140mm as a exhaust when i get me new fans and hopefully will pull enough, if it doesn't I could mount a 80mm to the vga bracket to try and pull the warm air in a column rather than just spewing everywhere

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
no he is talking about the part at the top (or front, or side rofl) the bit facing the side fan, from what ive read its definitely different for certain cases and atm, i am considering seeing what mine is like the other way around as it seemed to make a very small amount off difference

truegrace

Enthusiast
Yeah, its not the fans, as wozza said its the side I guess, has similar vents as the back for extra exhausts pumping straight at the side panel.

Probably the vipers/scythes 100 odd cfm will suck all this straight up but as there is a option for a fan directly opposite these and I will have a spare 140mm fan it seems a waste not to try and get rid of it.

It's not gonna reduce temps by aload, but I reakon a intake there will do more harm than good as the warm air will be pushed back at the card/motherboard.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
yeh i am unsure whether these are intake or exhaust thats the problem because if these are meant for intake only, you will be pretty much starving it of air and the air wil be coming from the front and bottom straight out the side, completely missing the graphics card and CPU cooler although the component fans will pick some of it up

Corfate

Author Level
From what i've read on push/pull configs, most people only see a degree or so with the addition of the second fan pulling the air from the pushing fan. Also, you need 2 of the same fans running at the same speed, so off the same mobo header using a splitter cable :) Got my second fan coming for my cooler, so when it finally comes i'll tell you if i see any actual temp differences.. They managed to oversell the fan so i have to wait for them to get some stock in.. fml.

truegrace

Enthusiast
yeh i am unsure whether these are intake or exhaust thats the problem because if these are meant for intake only, you will be pretty much starving it of air and the air wil be coming from the front and bottom straight out the side, completely missing the graphics card and CPU cooler although the component fans will pick some of it up

Probably for most cards, def all the amd cards I have seen that have a 'blank' face, a intake would work wonders, but as the 570 pumps warm air towards the side panel an exhaust should be an effective way to get rid if it. Wouldn't want a high cfm fan though or it would suck out the intake from the front/base

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
if it was my case, this is how i'd set it out.

get ya self four 140mm fans, two for top exhaust and two for the side panel, best you can get (be aware of the noise though) for the rest of the case fans that are 120mm get ya self a load of really good fans. certainly modding a 120mm on the back of the drive bay cage would be a good idea for help getting cool air onto the gpu, :)

To be honest you dont need mega high cfm fans, what about coolermaster sickleflows? they shift 69cfm and look pretty good?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
if it was my case, this is how i'd set it out.

get ya self four 140mm fans, two for top exhaust and two for the side panel, best you can get (be aware of the noise though) for the rest of the case fans that are 120mm get ya self a load of really good fans. certainly modding a 120mm on the back of the drive bay cage would be a good idea for help getting cool air onto the gpu, :)

To be honest you dont need mega high cfm fans, what about coolermaster sickleflows? they shift 69cfm and look pretty good?

of course if you want super maximum airflow, you know what to say :p

truegrace

Enthusiast
I was originally just go with all out sickleflows, as can put 120's in the top if needed, cause think they do look pretty nice and half the price of vipers, just tempted for tge massive cfm of vipers, although would have to put up with the yellow :p shame the akasa Apaches arnt as powerful. Will add up a few prices and see what I reakon is best.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
the apaches will be the same airflow at low speeds its just that they are capped at a lower speed, they still shift a tonne of air, but then you might as well get the full load for the same price and just put up with the yellow, you could even do what tom has done and kitted it out completely with yellow vipers haha

truegrace

Enthusiast
It's the price of vipers/apaches that put me off, as can almost get 3 sickleflows for the same price, and the Scythe Kaze Jyuni fans shift just as much air, are almost half the price and are not yellow :p
Just tempted with the rave reviews from the likes of yourself wozza :p

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
yes but they make a god dam lot of noise to get that much airflow, 37dB for the best version, the vipers are 26dB and these are already very loud indeed, i imagine these are probably just below the sound of my graphics card fans and they are almost deafening at full speed

plus its not a 3rd of the price, they are stil £10.50 for the 12cm when the viper is £12, plus i think the yellow is awesome :p