Mini PC Spec - does it look OK

tomesy

Hi All,

I'm on my 3rd day of pre-production as was looking for comments on my Spec. It might be too late to change now but any feedback appreciated:

Just to give some usage ideas - I'll mainly be using for Internet, Email, Photo manipulation/iTunes (the usual stuff) - however I'll also be occasionally using for work so I'll be running Visual Studio/SQL Server locally. It'll be connected to a 2560 x 1440 WQHD res monitor and I need the resolution for when I net support onto a work computer (I got fed up scrolling around). I may occasionally play Civilisation, but nothing more.

I want the small form factor due to limited space at home and also I may have to go abroad for a couple of months so I could put in hand luggage.

Well - it's OK? - I'm slightly worried about overheating?

Case Antec ISK 300-150 Mini-ITX Case + 150W PSU
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5-2500S Quad Core (2.7GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Change to: Intel® Core™i7-2600S Quad Core (2.8GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Motherboard ASUS® P8H61-I: Mini-ITX, LG1155, USB 3.0, SATA 3GBs

Change to: INTEL® DH67CF: Mini-ITX, LG1155, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, RAID

Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card 512MB NVIDIA GEFORCE 210 - DVI,HDMI,VGA
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 120GB KINGSTON HYPERX SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 320GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD3200BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
RAID NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader NONE
Sound Card ONBOARD 10 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

The spec looks well balanced and will certainly be able to handle your usage as described above. The only point to note is that the GeForce 210 is not a powerful gaming graphics card, so any games you play will be on low settings rather than maxed out.

There is nothing to worry about with regards to cooling - it will be adequately cooled.

tomesy

Hi, just relating to this order - just wondering if it's normal for it to be in Building for over a week?

I did speak to someone yesterday and they mentioned something about the case (it was noisy and I was struggling to hear).
Sorry, I know you guys are busy just from what I can see it's normally pre-production that takes the time.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Just checked your order - it's been assembled so not sure why it's waiting. I'll chase this up for you and post back on Monday.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like your case was damaged during production so we have had to order in another one for you. Apologies for the delay here, we'll get your order dispatched as soon as possible.

tomesy

Hi there, Sorry to be a pain but any more news? Having done a dummy fast track quote it looks like the case is back in stock.
I'm struggling to contain my excitement for getting my new toy. Thanks again.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at the current status - this will progress through to testing tomorrow all being well.