Sata Port 6 Device Error - F1 to Resume

walshi

Hi all

Just fitted an external drive to my esata port on my PC. Now when I boot up I get the error - Sata Port 6 Device Error - Press F1 to continue.
I press F1 and the system then boots as normal, once booted the esata drive appears to work fine? The drive is a WD Caviar Green, 1TB in an external enclosure. I've ran WD diagnostics on the drive and everything passes OK.

Any ideas?

Regards PW

My Spec:

Case
COOLERMASTER SILEO 500 QUIET MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM)
6GB SAMSUNG DDR3 TRI-DDR3 1333MHz (3 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card
NONE
3rd Graphics Card
NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
60GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD (upto 285MB/sR | 275MB/sW)
1st Hard Disk Partitions
60GB
2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
2nd Hard Disk Partitions
500GB, 500GB
RAID
NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NONE
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 650W PSU (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£76)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

misterdave

Enthusiast
By the sounds of things there is a configuration issue with the external HDD, this might not stop if from working. As the motherboard does not have any native eSATA port and uses a SATA to eSATA cable for the front eSATA port.

If your comfortable with the internals of a PC try the HDD connected directly to the motherboard with a SATA cable and power. you should have received some spares with the system as for the power there should be plenty left from the PSU.

If the system boots without any problems looks like the cause could be the external enclosure or the eSATA on the case.

I have herd of WD drives playing up in external enclosures before and had first hand experience of this about 8 months ago when my external enclosure lost my HDD. only to find it worked fine inside my PC, I binned the enclosure.

Sleinous

Author Level
I binned the enclosure

Same.

Btw, is this drive in a Verbatim enclosure? If so you have the newer eSATA model, mines the usb one but u can chose either when u buy i think