Ivy Bridge - Vortex II/III Question

IKEAboy_2006

Hi,

Just wondering if, once the new refresh comes along with Ivy Bridge, if this will affect the design choices of the Vortex II enclosure. For example, I believe that IB is supposed to run cooler than Sandy bridge, would this perhaps enable the new Vortex III (or whatever it will be called) to be made lighter, possibly thinner?

I'm itching to pull the trigger on one of these laptops, but am defintely holding off for the arrival of IB. Having a Vortex that's a bit lighter for lugging around would be the icing on the cake.

Does anyone have any ideas/info on this?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
A vortex III most likely wont be released just for ivy bridge, the ivy bridge runs on the same socket, so therefore they dont need a new laptop for it to work properly

you must remember, the chassis' are larger to mainly cool the GPU, not the CPU

IKEAboy_2006

Ah! Thanks Wozza, This is true.. you passed my knowledge test :)

So, basically, IB will just be added to same Vortex II chassis then? I thought it may be due a refresh... possibly backlit KB etc.
In saying that.. I love the look of the current Vortex II (pure understated power). I'm just not used to the idea of lugging around nearly 7lbs extra on my back lol.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I'm not sure, its just it doesn't seem to be a new release for every CPU range because there have only been 2, although I'm unsure how lnog the Vortex II has been out so yes it may be due a refresh

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The Vortex III will be very similar aesthetically to the Vortex II apart from the added bonus of a backlit keyboard :)

IKEAboy_2006

Thanks PCS... This is good news (although backlit KB is not a deal breaker for me).
Do you know if this chassis will start shipping around IB release date?

dangro474

Bright Spark
Is this also true for the 15" vortex or only the 17?

They use the same keyboard so I would assume both.

I love my Vortex II 15", however I do hope that they replace the existing rubber finish with a matte plastic finish. It does my head in sometimes.

M3zxu

Silver Level Poster
@dangro:
Not going to happen. Rubber finish is the more expensive one offered and the one that will have the backlit keyboard and most likely will be used for vortex series. There is a full plastic finish version of this clevo chassis that is called p151m and will be with weaker GPUs and no backlit keyboard. (GTX 660m and 670m)