i7 3820 (2011) vs i7 3770 (1155)

dangro474

Bright Spark
Evening everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a new gaming desktop fairly soon with a GTX 680, however i'm torn between Sandy Bridge E and Ivy Bridge 1155.

I will primarily use the system for gaming, general use such as web browsing, and from time to time video editing and 3D design.

Early benchmarks suggest that the 3820 and 3770 are very similar in terms of performance and both the socket 1155 and socket 2011 boards have PCI-E 3.0, however:

- Socket 2011 allows you to take advantage of Quad Channel memory. Will this make a difference in gaming?
- Ivy Bridge Extreme may be available for Socket 2011 boards in the future.

Given the info above and that my two options will more or less cost the same price which would be the smarter purchase? Socket 2011 + 3820 or Socket 1155 + 3770 when it becomes available later in the month?

If 2011 +3820 turns out to be the better choice overall I will most likely purchase long before ivy bridge is released.

Thank you all for your help.

- Dan

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I have done nect to no reading on the ivy bridge chips so i can't say my answer will be 100% but i will go ahead and give you my opinion anyway.

For gaming i doubt quad channel will give you much extra performance, and if the 2 CPU's look similar in terms of performance then i would get the 3820. You might see improved video editing and 3d design performance from quad channel memory but unless your really looking to get the best for that i wouldn't worry too much.

Like i said i'm not really up on ivy bridge but if you think the 2 systems would perform fairly evenly i would go for the 3820 because you can buy that now.

bg92

Expert
If I was in your position I would wait for Ivy bridge and than compare both of these options.
Triple channel memory doesn't help in gaming, so I doubt that quad channel memory does.

PadForce

Bronze Level Poster
Confused

Those performance charts are very confusing to me - why are the more expensive CPUs typically outperformed by the much older model?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Those performance charts are very confusing to me - why are the more expensive CPUs typically outperformed by the much older model?

Are you wondering about why the (for example) i7 920 beats the i7 3820 in the page linked to above? If you look further into the review you will see the i7 3820 dominates the older processors and is a step above the likes of the 2700k.

The page linked to above is for gaming benchmarks, and really for the faster procesors the results are pretty much the same. Nobody is going to notice half a FPS faster when your gaming, it is within the margin of error anyway so you can ignore that. For gaming as long as your CPU can keep up the most important factor in FPS is your GPU, so trying to judge how good a CPU is using gaming benchmarks is like trying to work out how much your cat weighs using an ruler.

If you look at this link... http://www.techspot.com/review/492-intel-core-i7-3820/page6.html You will see that when encoding the newer processors dominate the older ones, so they are better however it just depends what you plan to do with them as to which one will be best for you.

dangro474

Bright Spark

The more expensive extreme CPU's aren't necessarily designed to cater to gaming.

The 3930K / 3960K destroy older CPUs in terms of encoding and application performance, however as the vast majority of games on the market only make use of 2 cores and barely efficiently (many still designate all processes to one core and audio only to the other) and are not coded to specifically make use of newer architecture aside from the number of virtual cores, you will find that the perofrmance gap is very slim.

Mind you, as I own an i7 950 I am a little glad to see that I have virtually nothing to gain gaming performance wise and can save a good £600+ until Ivy Bridge Extreme and beyond in 2013.

Edit: due to confirmed 680 SLI PCI-E 3.0 performance increases I will wait for benchmarks to surface regarding a single 680 with PCI-E 3.0 over PCI-E 2.0 :/

Last edited: