SSD Management

Buzz

Master
Lol, Yeh they fill up fast. I believe the Kingston X is actually pretty good. A good buddy of mine got one about a wk ago +-. Said he is very happy with it. Just make sure that what ever SSD you get it has TRIM capability. Most will but not all. Very important.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Just make sure that what ever SSD you get it has TRIM capability. Most will but not all. Very important.

:) source

"HyperX performance at an exceptional price.
Budget-minded gamers and enthusiasts will benefit from the lower price of Kingston's new HyperX 3K SSD. This solid-state drive combines premium 3000 program-erase cycle NAND with the second-generation SandForce controller. Its lower price means more users can experience ultra-responsive gaming, multitasking and multimedia computing power. 3K loads games and applications faster, increases frames per second (FPS) for an improved gaming experience and allows for quick transfers and edits of large media files. HyperX 3K provides high-speed SATA Rev. 3.0 (6Gb/s) performance and blazing fast random and sequential read/write speeds. SandForce DuraClass™ technology provides the latest data integrity protection for ultimate endurance over the entire life of the drive. HyperX 3K SSD comes in a sleek, black and aluminium case design, accentuating the look of any power user's system. For added peace of mind, HyperX 3K SSD is backed by a three-year warranty and legendary Kingston reliability.
Features
SandForce controller technology
High-speed SATA Rev 3.0 (6Gb/s) transfer speeds
Advanced Wear-Leveling Technology
User-Configurable Over Provisioning4
Performance — incredible speeds for enhanced productivity
Reliable — much less likely to fail than a standard hard drive
Shock-Proof — dropping your notebook no longer means losing your data
Cool & Quiet — runs silent and with no moving mechanical parts to generate heat
Innovative — uses NAND Flash memory components
Supports TRIM3 — enhances device wear leveling by eliminating merge operation for all deleted data blocks
Supports S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology)
Guaranteed — three-year Kingston® warranty, 24/7 tech support

Specifications
Capacities1: 90GB, 120GB, 240GB, 480GB
Sequential reads2: SATA Rev. 3.0
90GB / 120GB / 240GB – 555MB/s
480GB – 540MB/s
Sequential writes2: SATA Rev. 3.0
90GB / 120GB / 240GB – 510MB/s
480GB – 450MB/s"

Buzz

Master
Hi DMNL

Thanks for commenting on it and glad the post helped you regain those precious gigs

Buzz

Master

Hey Big_Rich.

Nice one for the post. Had a read of it. Lot of things I had already mentioned here in the post. The other thing in it is the system restore. I personally dont like disabling it. Yes it would solve the read/write situation on SSD and in turn lengthen then life, like I said at the start the more actions the SSD does the lower its life span. In saying that you cant buy an SSD and not use it. So certain things will have to take actions. The system restore is one. I didnt mention it in the post because I dont think personally people should disable it unless they have good back up software or are in the habit of backing up a lot. Problem is with that people simply forget to backup before major computer changes, so the system restore is a good line of defense against incorrect changes.

If you do disable it, I would suggest maybe deleting system restore points by disabling system restore, then re enable it. This will delete all previous restore points. Then create a new restore point. Take ownership of the system volume information folder in C:\
You will need to show hidden files and folders and show system files and folders. Then once you have taken ownership of the System volume information folder go into it and copy the system restore files to another location. Then you can disable system restore and still keep your restore point for future.

Personally I back up all the time. I find Acronis great. Others, think the Win7 backup does the job, personally I dont like it. But there are great back up probs available.

Cheers again for the link. There was some interesting points in it and as it said certain areas with computers is all just simply down to choice. Page file, system restore etc.

stegor

Bright Spark
Hey Big_Rich.

Nice one for the post. Had a read of it. Lot of things I had already mentioned here in the post. The other thing in it is the system restore. I personally dont like disabling it. Yes it would solve the read/write situation on SSD and in turn lengthen then life, like I said at the start the more actions the SSD does the lower its life span. In saying that you cant buy an SSD and not use it. So certain things will have to take actions. The system restore is one. I didnt mention it in the post because I dont think personally people should disable it unless they have good back up software or are in the habit of backing up a lot. Problem is with that people simply forget to backup before major computer changes, so the system restore is a good line of defense against incorrect changes.

If you do disable it, I would suggest maybe deleting system restore points by disabling system restore, then re enable it. This will delete all previous restore points. Then create a new restore point. Take ownership of the system volume information folder in C:\
You will need to show hidden files and folders and show system files and folders. Then once you have taken ownership of the System volume information folder go into it and copy the system restore files to another location. Then you can disable system restore and still keep your restore point for future.

Personally I back up all the time. I find Acronis great. Others, think the Win7 backup does the job, personally I dont like it. But there are great back up probs available.

Cheers again for the link. There was some interesting points in it and as it said certain areas with computers is all just simply down to choice. Page file, system restore etc.

Buzz, totally agree about system restore - it can be a life saver if you get certain viruses or get a screwed up driver install, wouldn't recommend turning it off to anyone.

Buzz

Master
Hey stegor

Thanks for the reply, Yeh I wouldn't advise it either as said. Far to many times you see a driver update, or what looks like a nice program, you install it and NEVER think to back up prior. Once it messes the system simply going into add remove/ device manager doesn't always change it back to as it was prior to the install. The system restore I find adds just enough extra protection to warrant the writes it does on the drive and the size allocated to it. After all as I said, your gonna be using the drive anyway and with the price dropping all the time keeping on system restore IMO is a must.

Big_Rich

Silver Level Poster
System Restore is a hideous resource-hungry monster that causes more problems than it fixes.

Better to store all your e-valuables (music, photos, videos, documents etc) out of harms way on a non-OS HDD, then just format if you manage to mess things up enough to warrant using system restore.

I like to have a good format every 3 months or so as a matter of course anyway :)

Buzz

Master
System Restore is a hideous resource-hungry monster that causes more problems than it fixes.

Better to store all your e-valuables (music, photos, videos, documents etc) out of harms way on a non-OS HDD, then just format if you manage to mess things up enough to warrant using system restore.

I like to have a good format every 3 months or so as a matter of course anyway :)

Is that with your SSD... As if it is thats a lot of unneeded actions the drive will taking anyway, so will possibly over lengthy periods degrade the SSD which would pretty much defeat the purpose of this thread. System restore may not be the best in the world but as said before and like Vanthus there, It has saved me many times.

Big_Rich

Silver Level Poster
Is that with your SSD... As if it is thats a lot of unneeded actions the drive will taking anyway, so will possibly over lengthy periods degrade the SSD which would pretty much defeat the purpose of this thread. System restore may not be the best in the world but as said before and like Vanthus there, It has saved me many times.

No, I only put the SSD in last week.

Pauly

Bronze Level Poster
Many thanks for the guide, recieved my new PC today and first thing I did (after installing anti-virus of course) was follow this through.. Cheers + rep

Buzz

Master
Hey Pauly. Appreciate the Rep. Glad its of some help to you. Hope your happy with your comp. I do love that 500R case. :)

chrcar59

Silver Level Poster
Awesome, i'm glad i stumbled across this thread. One of the first things i will be doing once i receive my PC.

I just wish there were more threads like this so guys like me know what to do when they first receive their PC.

+REP!

Buzz

Master
Hey Chrcar.

Appreciate the Rep. Im just delighted people are getting something from it. More then welcome to contact me if need any other help once your comp comes

mdwh

Enthusiast
Lots of good advice, but the practice on the pagefile seems a matter of debate. In fact, official MS advice is that the pagefile go on the SSD (e.g., see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx ). Similarly the practice of disabling the pagefile even if you have loads of RAM seems questionable - if you don't need it, it doesn't matter, but if you ever do, writing to a pagefile on an SSD is better than not having the RAM.

Buzz

Master
Lots of good advice, but the practice on the pagefile seems a matter of debate. In fact, official MS advice is that the pagefile go on the SSD (e.g., see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx ). Similarly the practice of disabling the pagefile even if you have loads of RAM seems questionable - if you don't need it, it doesn't matter, but if you ever do, writing to a pagefile on an SSD is better than not having the RAM.

hi mdwh

yes the pagefile has been debated over and over again.
As stated in the OP itself
as mentioned earlier it’s best to either reduce the size of the page file, move it to another drive or disable it altogether "depending on personal preference and/or available amount of RAM".

The pagefile is down to preference and system setup really. Thats why I gave info on how to use the Use the Page File Bytes Peak counter to calculate page file size. Personally I Disable mine bar 256MB on a WD caviar black. Works perfect.

But again yes, there are so many write ups about it, that its best to either leave alone or spend a little time tweaking it according to your own needs.