HOW to set up Dolby Digital 5.1 via Spdif/optical with an ASUS Card.

petfit

Just tried the original instructions with my Sound Blaster Z and it works perfectly. Didn't think i'd get to use my AX Pros with my new set up. :clap:

Have some rep Tom

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Ok, SO.

tl;dr - I can't get any audio from my rear speakers.

So yesterday I bought the NZXT Hue controller. It looks mint. Whilst I was installing I decided to swap the fans on my CPU cooler to the SP120s. When I put the PC back and played music I got a horrible, horrible noise from the speakers (like they'd blown). I looked around the back and when I knocked the cable this also caused it. I opened her up inside and the fan clip was touching the soundcard. I think when I moved the cables at the back this caused the card to grate ever so slightly on the clip. I moved the clips out the way and reseated the card.

Now the horrible noise is gone and they don't touch - but I can't get any sound out my rear two speakers :/

Any ideas? I'm using the standard Green/black/orange cables...

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
OK, so this is weird.

I've come across this problem on our friendly rival's forum - if you turn it onto 7.1 it works...

OCUK said:
I have to select 7.1 on mine to get sound from the rears as 5.1 has sound from the side speakers for some bizarre reason.

Make sure you set up the speakers in windows control panel the same eg 7.1 and then just disable the outputs from the side speakers.

Thank you Tom_gr7!

So basically, as you said, you continue to keep "Speakers" as the default device and not "S/PDIF Pass-through Device", as stupid as it sounds.

Then, to switch between my 2.1 PC speakers that are connected to the jacks on the sound card and the optical cable that is connected to my 5.1 AV receiver, you simply click on the tick box next to "DTS Interactive" in Xonar DSX Audio Center (and, of course, change the number of channels etc.).

Then to switch back to the PC speakers, untick the box.

So basically, the only real mistake was setting "S/PDIF Pass-through Device" as the default device, even though you'd expect to have to do that.

Complicated until you know how!