Laptop not working after a rma...

jonny123

Bright Spark
Ok so i sent my laptop back for a rma to get my screen replaced because it was the wrong res,I got it back today after 2 weeks and i recived 3 games from pcs because it had to be sent back (Thanks for that) however the laptop doesent work.When i turn the laptop on it goes to the window saying start from.. safe mode,Start windows normally etc and when you click on either of the options it leads to a blue screen and then back to the start windows normally screen (Or boot up screen),Ive phoned pcs and they say that they cant do nothing(As they had it when the win 7 trial period was on there)there is no trial on the system,I didnt order a os because i was going to use linux and they say theyve done something wrong but i can only put it right if i get a os,So i downloaded ubuntu and tried installing that from a cd,16gb usb drive and external hardrive and the laptop will not boot from any of them so i tried it with a old windows xp disk and the same thing it did not work.And pcs are saying i cant return it.
Any advice on what to do,What you think the problems are etc?
Btw i ordered my laptop 2 months ago and i havent actully been able to use the laptop properly yet so if anyone can help me get it working that would be awsome.

Last edited:

Maestro

Hello,

We are not saying you cannot return it but all we will do is install a genuine copy of windows and then wipe it before we return it back to you. We dont support Linux, so hopefully somebody on here can help with the install of linux. However, one thing i can say is that your laptop will boot from bootable media, wether its cd, usb etc, if indeed the media is bootable, and if you are selecting that device to boot from. Please also note that your laptop doesn not support windows xp and if you do install it there will be devices that do not have compatible drivers.

jonny123

Bright Spark
Ok thanks for posting and i have tried the cd with ubuntu on my computer and it boots on it fine and it will not on my laptop its just going back to the same boot menu/blue screen and i wouldent use xp as my actual os i just tried to get on to the start screen with xp too fix the problem with the laptop,Before it left here the laptop still had trial period on it and if there wasent the issue with the screen i would of installed linux on it.Btw i can install linux i just need to get to the start screen so if we sent it back could you fix the problem,send it back and then as long as the laptop gets to the start screen i can install linux myshelf.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
jonny123, before I close this thread I will give you the opportunity to post a reasonable response.

1. You did not order an operating system.
2. Windows XP (an operating system produced back at the turn of the millennium) does not work on your top spec laptop!

If you did not order an operating system it is assumed that you are capable of installing your own version. To install Linux, enter the CD or boot from your flash drive and install it. You are more than welcome to return it to is if it is faulty, but it is not!

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
If you are getting to the Windows 7 screen you are not successfully booting from your CD.

Maestro

i am not sure what you mean by the start screen. When installing anything that is bootable you generally need to get to the boot menu. on most laptops tapping the F2 (could be F10 cant remember) at startup. This will bring up the boot menu. You then choose the boot device.

jonny123

Bright Spark
Ok i realy dont see why you have to close the thread seeing as you did the same last time and i all i did was share my experience with the forum users as i thought this is what they are for,It seems you only accept the good reviews etc.
Like i said in the last post i can install a operating system but it does not go to the start screen.
To install Linux, enter the CD or boot from your flash drive and install it.-Done this and it does not work,Tried it on my working computer and it suprisngly worked.
You are more than welcome to return it to is if it is faulty, but it is not!
define "faulty" because the fact that it doesent turn on the too the start screen and instead goes to a blue screen to boot menu back to blue screen seems a little "faulty" to me.maybe im mistaken.

jonny123

Bright Spark
Im not getting to the start screen sorry
I go to boot from disk at the boot menu and it will go to the menu saying start windows normally,safe mode etc and then i click on any of these and it leads to the blue screen and then back to the boot menu
Thanks for posting

jonny123

Bright Spark
Yep thats what ive done,Like i explained to pcs after i select the cd drive (Or the memery pen,External drive) it will go to boot menu and back to blue screen) (I might of used the wrong names for the screens or something but i think you know what i mean.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
OK,

1. Press F2 to go into the BIOS.
2. Scroll on to the boot menu and ensure that your optical (DVD/CD) drive is set to first boot device.
3. Press F10, save changes and exit.
4. Insert a fully bootable CD/DVD in the drive and press a key when it prompts.

jonny123

Bright Spark
F2 does nothing,Dou you mean f11? it comes up with a screen please select boot devices and the dvd is not first but you cannot move them when you hit enter it tries to boot but goes to the boot screen then back to blue screen again and thats with the ubuntu disk in the disk drive and without it.

Maestro

If you are selecting the boot device and it goes to the screen giving you options such as safe mode etc, then 1 of 2 things are happening.

1. The cd, pen drive , external drive is not bootable
2. You are missing the bit after selecting the boot device where you press any key to boot from the cd/dvd or other media.

These are the only 2 possible causes.

jonny123

Bright Spark
Well its diffiantly bootable cause ive checked on my computer and btw i havent actully asked why you think the screen is going from start windows normally screen to blue screen? Do you know why and why wasent it checked before being sent off?

Maestro

OK, so can you confirm that you have tried to boot from a genuine original copy of xp and it doesnt boot. Also that you have tried to boot from a bootable cd copy of ubuntu, and also a bootable pen dirve with ubuntu.

In other words you are saying that when you get to the boot menu, and select any boot device, you are 100% certain that the laptop will not boot from any bootable media.

I can not answer your last question as i dont work in rmas. However given that we replaced your drive with a new one, and given that you didnt order an os, i am suprised it turned up with an os on it at all.

Now this is the strange bit, even if the hdd is faulty, your laptop would still boot from a cd or dvd or pen drive.

Its a shame you dont live closer as i would have you a sportsmans bet that if your brought this laptop to our premises, and i put a genuine copy of windows 7 in the dvd drive that it would boot from the dvd if done correctly.

For anyone else reading this post, this is what happens when you dont order an os with your pc or laptop. It is no suprise that 20% of customers dont order an os, yet 40% or rmas are systems that didnt order an os, and most of these are software issues.

Last edited:

jonny123

Bright Spark
But even if the drive is faulty it doesent matter the drive you put in was the second drive the ssd had the os demo on it but while the demo was on it it was at pcs getting the screen replaced abd it was there for 2 weeks because someone thought we had to pay them but when we phoned to check and they checked they realised that it was actully free...(Couldent he of checked before?) then i would of had a trial and it should be all fine as im not going to buy a win 7 os if im just going to use linux anyway.And if you install a trial on your comp,Wait for it to run out nothing happens (It comes up with your software is running slow or something but the machine still runs fine) so it should be the case on the laptop also why is this post not showing up where its meant to be?looks like its being tucked away so noone can see it tbh cause it should be showing up on the laptops and notebooks section as the last post in there was like 21:46 or something and obv we have wrote in here since then. the only thing i can see to do is to send it back and for you to fix the original problem (Blue screen of death and the laptop not loading properly) and then i can get it back and install linux on it.

jonny123

Bright Spark
Not many people reading since it doesent show up where its meant to be,Only way i can get to it is by typing it in up top.

Maestro

we will be happy to take it back, we will video us opening up the package putting it on the bench and inserting a windows 7 dvd and booting from it. If it boots fine then the issue is with your bootable media. This has nothing to do with any ssds or hdd. Booting from disc or pen drive will occur even if the laptop or pc doesnt have a hdd or ssd in it, upto the point where it needs the hdd / ssd to install to.
If you are happy to send it back , under the proviso that if it does boot from windows 7 disc then there is no fault and you will be charged. If it doesnt boot from the windows 7 disc then there is a fault and we will correct it. We have have a linux expert on our staff and he will install linux onto the laptop for you if there is a fault.

jonny123

Bright Spark
Also then is it a coincedence that i could startup my pc fine before i sent it off it had another problem (Seems the only thing happening is problems,Cant try blaming that on me either) and now ive recived it back without the trials because you kept it for 2 weeks because the guy thought i had to pay for the the upgrade when we didnt,If he checked earlier then id have it in the trial period and itd be fine or even if there wasent a issue with the res then it would also be fine...i sent it to you,It would load up fine,Now ive recived it back it doesnt,Doesnt that tell you something?

Maestro

The trial is irrelevant, you did not order an os or a trial of it.

I am not blaiming anyone, I have given you the option as you are sure it is a hardware fault. If you wish to return it then that is fine and if it is a hardware fault it will be corrected and we will also install linux onto the laptop for you as a goodwill gesture.

However if it comes back and we can install windows 7 onto the laptop without issue (we will videothis from opening the package) then there is no hardware fault and you will be charged for the return.

We also didnt keep your laptop for two weeks becuase you didnt pay for the hdd. It took 2 weeks because that was the current turnaround time. The issue with the drive and cost may have contributed a day or so to the overall timeframe. No idea about the post not appearing in the right place.

Last edited: