Where's my disk drive?

markel

My case is a CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 650D GAMING CASE. On the top is an opening to insert a disk drive. I've taken the Seagate Barracuda drive from my other pc and clipped it into the opening and it fits perfectly. However the drive is not recognised at all, it doesn't appear in "my computer" even though I can feel it whirring around. I've looked at Device manager and there are no yellow marks at all, everything's fine there. Can someone tell me what in Device Manager I'm looking for to see if the Drive caddy is "Installed" and what's the caddy called so I can get drivers if required.
The drive I'm using was not a boot drive, it was a 2nd drive and contains photos and music. I've also plugged in the SSD from my other PC which is the same - it plugs in perfectly but is not recognised.
I know my first step should have been to open the case and see if there's a wire off somewhere but I'd rather not do that and the HDD spins when inserted so somthing's working.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
In disk management is there a drive showing with no drive letter assigned,if so,
right click on the bar of the drive in the lower half of the screen,
select "change drive letter and paths"
click on the Add button in the next menu and pick a drive letter.
Click ok to assign selected drive letter or choose your own letter (one thats not already being used)from the drop down menu.
To enable the drive bay to be hot-swappable, in bios settings you may need to enable AHCI
on the Sata port the drive is plugged into.
As all bios settings are not the same you may need to look at your motherboard user guide for instructions.You also need to make sure you know what sata port it is,to do this may require having a look inside the case,but the sata ports & the drives that are allocated to them should be showing in your bios,probably on the main menu.

Last edited:

markel

Thank you so much, Vanthus. I restarted the PC with the HDD in place, looked in the BIOS, somthing I'd not do without being told what to do, and under SATA Drives was my HDD with Disabled next to it. Changed that to Enabled and it's now recognised as F:
Thanks again.

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Dont want to complicate things, but to enable hot swapping & for the drive bay to recognise an SSD you may still need to change the settings of the sata port of the drive bay from IDE to AHCI,make sure you dont do this with the sata port your OS drive is plugged into.Hopefully it's set ok as it is.

markel

Again, thanks for the advice. AHCI was already enabled which is probibly why the drive is now recognised. I put the spare SSD in and that was recognised.
Cheers.