2 issues: AMD driver autodetect utility doesn't do anything, gpu fans at startup

AJ_

hey guys i've got 2 problems..

1.I'm trying to update my 7970m driver to the 12.6 beta through the AMD site (i'm still on the 8.9 one that came on the PCS disc) but for some reason the driver autodetect utility doesnt do anything. I download it, run it and the windows processing circle comes up near the mouse but then it disappears and nothing opens or anything. When I check windows processes in task manager it shows up but thats about it.

2. This may be completely normal but im not sure so I figured I should ask. I disabled some programs from running at startup (steam, dropbox etc) and since then every time I boot my computer up, the gpu fans kick in and runs on max for a minute or two once the windows logo comes up.. is this supposed to happen or is it just me being paranoid?

any help would be appreciated :)

Buzz

Master
You could try here for the driver and download it manually

AMD

Then run the verification tool

Verify

When a computer boots up and shuts down the heat spikes and fans, depending on the system would speed up and slow down according to the heat. After a few minutes the computer system files will have done all the loading etc and the system will stable out so the temp would drop and in turn the fans would slow down.

In saying that by disabling things on startup should, if anything have the opposite effect in that, due to less boot up times the computer can idle out and cool faster so realistically after you disabled stuff if anything it should have helped the longevity of the fans on high.

Download and install coretemp from Here and just keep an eye on your temps for a little while. That should put your mind at ease one way or another.

Hope this helps.

Buzz

Reactions: AJ_

AJ_

thanks for the help! unfortunately the catalyst install resulted in a big fat BSOD...twice :( what am i doing wrong lol..seems to have worked for many others

Buzz

Master
Create a system restore point then

Go into control panel and manually remove everything to do with your GPU in add/remove progs. Restart

Download and install CCC from CCleaner Clicky

Run CCC and clean all junk files and clean registry.

Restart

Download and install ASC Clicky

Run deep clean and scan and fix. Restart computer

Then try Drivers from prior post. and restart once again.

If that fails please post FULL specs with your next post

Last edited:

AJ_

tried both of the above methods - ended up with no iGPU drivers, Catalyst not working due to incompatible hardware and windows stopping my 7970m due to problems. On the bright side.. no BSODs :D I think im happy just sticking with the old drivers for now, assuming of course this isnt a hardware issue?? if it is i might have to hit PCS up..

full spec below btw

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
AMD® Radeon® HD 7970M - 2GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6235 (300Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

thanks for all the help!

Buzz

Master
I noticed you didnt order an operating system with your computer. What operating system are you running. Did you perform a format and fresh install of the operating system. Are your motherboard drivers all updated. Have you checked the Intel auto update service to see if there are any updates available for your chipset.

AJ_

Yeah i did do a format and fresh install (windows 7 pro, SP 1) when I got the computer and intel auto update utility says everything is ok. do you think a clean install of windows would help?

Buzz

Master
open device manager right click your GPU and uninstall and select the remove driver box.

Restart your computer and verify all your AMD drivers have been removed. To do this click

Start, type cmd and right click and run as admin

in the cmd box type pnputil.exe -e and press enter

Look through the list and see if any AMD drivers are in the driver store.
If none are there go to add remove programs and make sure no AMD packages are installed. If they are remove. Restart

If there are any AMD drivers in the list in the command prompt box type pnputil.exe -d Oem#.inf where # = the number next to the driver in the list. Restart.

Then run CCC again cleaning the registry. Reboot again.

Open program files and make sure all AMD/ATI folders have been removed. Delete accordingly.

Open control panel, folder options, View tab. Show hidden files and folders. Apply and ok.

Open C:\Programdata and delete any AMD/ATI folders.

WARNING - DO NOT MODIFY ANYTHING ELSE IN THE REGISTRY

Click start type regedit

Click File - Export. At very bottom you will see Export range. Select ALL. Give it a file name and save it to somewhere safe.

Then left pane navigate to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE and extend the folder.

Click SOFTWARE and extend the folder.

Click the folders one at a time that begin with "ATI" or "AMD" and hit the DEL key to delete them.

Reboot.

Then try the new drivers. If that still fails there is another underlining issue. Re-installing using your original CD will revert it back to as you have it.

AJ_

It seemed to work and everything went smoothly until it booted up for the last time after the driver install. Basically the same thing as last time - windows code 43 on the amd drivers (windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems), no intel igpu drivers (just standard vga ones) and catalyst control centre not working (catalyst control centre cannot be started. there are currently no settings that can be configured using catalyst control centre).

I did read somewhere that a lot of people were having issues when trying to install the latest version of CCC and so just did a custom install of the updated drivers only and left CCC stock. What do you think?

thanks again for the help!

Buzz

Master
And you have had any other issues with the card prior to trying to update drivers??

Is it the AMD Catalyst 12.6 WHQL or the 12.7 Beta you are trying to use.

Install the card fresh from the original CD. DO a full install. Restart. Then when updating to the new 12.6 version do a custom install and select only the drivers to update and see if that works.

pips333

Hey I had similar issues with my new vortex.

I got the 12.6 drivers from here http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/downloads.aspx

Even though it says they are beta , I've been reliably informed they are now certificated. You can simply down load and run without the need to detect hardware and hence dont get the silly hardware not compatible error.

I simply installed without deleting the old one and it worked very well. I didn't realize the need to really go to town deleting every last amd file as I'm used to nvidia who have a very good installer - I guess I got lucky !

Last edited:

AJ_

yeah I think thats what i ended up doing, I just installed them from scratch from the PCS cd then installed the 12.6 drivers only and kept CCC stock. Guess that will have to do for now :) yeah my old laptop had a nvidia card that never gave me any issues but I think the performance of the 7970m is totally worth it! btw pips333 did you install the new version of CCC too??

pips333

Hey AJ.

No have never had to use CCC. As I installed 12.6 without it and all seems ok - touch wood - I thought best leave it alone.

But I think with any new driver installs its looking like a driver sweeper type utility is a good idea to remove every last bit of the old ones.