Virgin media 100mb download and 10mb upload :O

Shibin

Enthusiast
This is so amazing,now we can actually catch up to other big countries. I mean we are top in health etc but when it comes to internet we are a bit :/. And the best bit is the upload speeds for me. Most isp never care about upload,but 10mb upload is awesome!.
It would be a while if i will get it,as its 45 a month standalone and 35 a month as a bundle :p. I already roll on thier 20mb package which surprisingly gives 19-20mb speeds consistently. My family has that on a bundle and we pay 38 pounds per month overall for that. Opinions and thoughts?

edit: Link: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/2/20101027/-virgin-media-eats-its-fibre-optics-w-bf205d4.html

Last edited:

yorkshire.lad

You don't realise how lucky you are. I've been begging virgin to come and put their fiber down my road but they simply say "not enough demand" (no pun intended). I'm stuck on 5MB down and 0.3MB up.

Sleinous

Author Level
6meg me on an 8meg line. Go me go me! Did I mention our telephone cable dates back from WW2? Yeah... 448kbps upload pwns! (i do all my uploading at uni now lol) 3.6mb/s upload - 990mb bfbc2 clip uploaded in 4.1mins

Tom DWC

I totally agree with you regarding the upload speeds. Virgin's downspeed may be immense but upload is shocking.

I'd still like to see more balance in their low to mid price ranges though. The downspeeds are currently far ahead of the upspeeds.

Last edited:

Sleinous

Author Level
Jealous, our village doesnt have enough demand. I voted for my exchange on BT infinity, 11 votes woo lol....out of 10000+ ye we wont get fibre

JSG10

Expert
I did the same Sleinous. Can't see it happening though. Its mostly the elderly that live here :(
Annoyingly up the road by just 8 miles Virgins fibre optic and TV service is available yet I can't get it here :( The buggers.

Sleinous

Author Level
I suggest buying ur own fibre and doing it urself! :p let's start a revolution! Nah im not too bothered anymore, like I said uni has a leased line, 6-7mb/s downstream and 3-4mb/s upstream. My yt uploads take seconds so
im a happy bunny.

spunkypocket

i live on a private estate, the exchange is around 1/2 mile down road, but cos of were i live it will cost me £2000 w/ virgin and BT who i have my BBand w/ will not even consider Infinity to be placed with me. 7votes on my eatate so far, will nt be gettin BT Infinity i guess.

ive got 8mb w/ bt so not all tht vexed, got sky HD/3D for TV anyways.

Shibin

Enthusiast
Sleinous do you live at the uni,becuase dont you have to move out of the halls of residence after the first year?

Sleinous

Author Level
Never went into halls, well i did for a week in jan, they put me in the wrong flat type and i had to move out.... Nah i do all my heavy uploading / downloading @ uni workstation labs. Im 2nd year now so would have been in a house anyway, probs wouldnt have got much more than 20meg

Sleinous

Author Level
Yus lol, i upload while im working :p today i uploaded 9 gb in one hour but i uploaded a 20min vid by accident, 5.5gb, which was obviously deleted (forgot to chop it into 2 parts).

Craig

Silver Level Poster
Would like a faster internet in my town, still stuck on 8mb.

Considering they offer 20MB here but havent even bothered to upgrade anyone yet does kind of suck.
I'm thinking of switching to SKY since they have no useage limit, and BT does now, which is horrible.
They don't have virgin in my area.