Woo-hoo!!

Rakk

The Awesome
Ok, so I wouldn't normally praise Apple, especially after all their latest arguing over stupid patents over phone technology, but it must be said I'm awesomely happy with them this afternoon.

I've had an iPod Nano for ages - its a first generation one, so I've had it nearly 8 years - and this morning it started playing silly buggers - although it can still play all the music on there my menu has lost its access to the albums, so I can play all, or just not listen - no choice of what to listen to anymore without a lot of skipping songs.

Anyways, in my search to find out how to reset the thing and find out exactly how old it is, I came across a wonderful news article, they've done a safety recall on 1st generation iPod Nano'a, which means I think they're going to have to replace it with a brand new one :):)

So woo-hoo .....

I knew there was a good reason for keeping it (even if its battery life is now completely shot) and using it for so long :)

Fingers crossed that I have read it right, it's possible I've read it wrong.
Got an appointment at the local Apple shop on Sunday morning, so I'll let you know if it all goes well :)

Rakk

The Awesome
Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Will probably be the oldest one that is still manufactured, not the latest nano, so maybe a 4th gen? but still a free upgrade? nothing wrong with that, I might dig through my old tech and see if i got a 1st gen

EDIT: Looking at the comments on the article, it will be a new 1st gen iPod and you wont get an upgrade, typical apple...

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
Well if it is just a new 1st gen one, it'll still be better then my current one that has pretty much no battery life left and has menu problems :)

If its newer than 1st gen then its an added bonus :)

Marks

Bronze Level Poster
I believe alot of people got the latest one (now the 1 from current) as a replacement for the original one. Good publicity and it's not like they can't afford it.

Rakk

The Awesome
Grrr!!!

Well that was a big fat waste of time, despite the fact the guy on the phone booked me an appointment at the local store, when I got there there was nothing they could do, had to fill out an online form (which I did there trying to use an apple laptop with no mouse (I don't like laptop keyboards and I certainly don't like mousepads on laptops)), and now they'll send me a box to return my old iPod in and I think it then takes 6 weeks for them to send something back :(

Grrrr!!!!

steaky360

Grrr!!!

Well that was a big fat waste of time, despite the fact the guy on the phone booked me an appointment at the local store, when I got there there was nothing they could do, had to fill out an online form (which I did there trying to use an apple laptop with no mouse (I don't like laptop keyboards and I certainly don't like mousepads on laptops)), and now they'll send me a box to return my old iPod in and I think it then takes 6 weeks for them to send something back :(

Grrrr!!!!

You should send them an invoice for wasting your time! Seems strange the guy on the phone didn't know you needed to fill out a form on-line... You could've done that ages ago!

At least you are going to get a replacement though!

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
Seems strange the guy on the phone didn't know you needed to fill out a form on-line... You could've done that ages ago!
This was the guy however who told me I had too many characters in my postcode when he asked for my address lol (apparently he reckoned 7 was too many), he obviously wasn't in the UK.
But yeah, I coulda done that the other day.

Looks like I may be missing an MP3 for 6 weeks though, gawd! - I'll never survive at work without music (it stops me getting distracted - I get distracted very easily)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
This was the guy however who told me I had too many characters in my postcode when he asked for my address lol (apparently he reckoned 7 was too many), he obviously wasn't in the UK.
But yeah, I coulda done that the other day.

Looks like I may be missing an MP3 for 6 weeks though, gawd! - I'll never survive at work without music (it stops me getting distracted - I get distracted very easily)

If your allowed, you could load up spotify on the PC, most places would restrict it though :(

steaky360

Aww man... I kinda feel sorry for that guy, then again how is he to know any better if he isn't in the UK - god damn outsourced call centres!

I know what you mean about getting distracted though, I often have to put my headphones on to stop other folk coming over and chatting about *insert dull subject here* to me for 20 minutes. Worst thing is I will talk to them about it 'back'!

Rack

Enthusiast
Don't be so sure about receiving a refurbished first gen one, I have a couple of mates who applied for it and got a 6th gen back.

Rakk

The Awesome
Don't be so sure about receiving a refurbished first gen one, I have a couple of mates who applied for it and got a 6th gen back.

Yeah, the guy in the shop I spoke to today reckoned I'd get one of the new ones, but I'll wait and see what happens, a newer one would be an added bonus but I'd better not count my chickens before the eggs have hatched :)

Rakk

The Awesome
Well, I got my new toy this evening (fully charged already as well) :)

Picture 3.jpg

It's all shiny and new (well refurbished I think), it's a 6th generation iPod Nano, it's tiny, that's a pound coin next to it so you can see the size.
Basically I got the iPod and a leaflet about the replacement program, no instructions, and no USB connector (good job I've got the old one), but it all seems to work fine and has 4 times the storage space my old one had.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Well, I got my new toy this evening (fully charged already as well) :)

View attachment 2174

It's all shiny and new (well refurbished I think), it's a 6th generation iPod Nano, it's tiny, that's a pound coin next to it so you can see the size.
Basically I got the iPod and a leaflet about the replacement program, no instructions, and no USB connector (good job I've got the old one), but it all seems to work fine and has 4 times the storage space my old one had.

Just a recommendation even if it is fully charged

Charge it overnight or for a good few hours after it reaches 100%, it will prolong the battery life

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
That's is what I call good customer support! I'm very impressed! And I agree with what Wozza said. Do a few cycle charges, charge it up, drop it all the way down almost then charge it up overnight. Do this a couple of times. Then do it once a month. Otherwise, charge it slow on a USB 2 port :)! that will probably give you the best battery life.

Rakk

The Awesome
Now I realise I'm dredging up a old thread of mine, but I'm now quite upset with Apple, that spangly new iPod nano that is now 11 months old now has a stuck on/off button for the touchscreen, meaning that to get the screen to turn on I have to plug it into my PC to wake the screen up ....., which is really quite inconvenient - and no I didn't spill/drop anything on it it or drop it, it was working and then the button suddenly stopped working whilst I was at work listening to it.

And since it was a replacement iPod rather than new it only came with 90 days warranty, not a year, so basically it's broke after 11 months!!!

S'pose at least I have something to put on my xmas list now - an mp3 player - not Apple!