Windows 8 - no sound

Hi

Being an early adopter (!) I've just upgraded my laptop to Windows 8 via an upgrade install.

Most things seem OK but I've got no sound! Audio stuff was listed as compatible when I ran the Compatabilty Tool before upgrade, and none of my device drivers have errors. In fact, when I play an audio file the equalizer in the Volume Mixer goes up and down quite happily - but nothing comes out of the speakers!

Any ideas? Thanks/

Rob

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
First check speakers aren't muted,then right click on speaker icon on taskbar/select "playback devices"/make sure the speakers are set as default.

Keithg

Enthusiast
Same with me and my optimus4, all devices have been installed according to device manager although the order of install of the software was probably not the best.
I completed an upgrade from windows 7 but was planning to perform a clean install tonight/this weekend.

Keithg

Enthusiast
hahahaha, I checked last night and there were none.
Just checked today and they have been uploaded.

the optimus 4 model is a w370et and they have audio and vga drivers. I probably wouldnt have checked that for a while.

rep for you

iPHAILZ

Bronze Level Poster
Yep they came out very recently.

I have noticed for the optimus IV you need to HD audio driver (red speaker icon in sys tray) even though windows detects a sound device without the driver it won't play sound.

Cobote

My Optimus IV model is W150ER

Before I the updated drivers were out, I had no sound from by laptop, only via headphones. But then the next day it started to work all by itself.

Pagey

Bright Spark
My Optimus IV model is W150ER

Before I the updated drivers were out, I had no sound from by laptop, only via headphones. But then the next day it started to work all by itself.

I got it fixed in the end, It was basically the THX utility that needed to be registered, worked after that. Basically just needed some fiddling.

eoinzy

I got my laptop with Windows 7. I installed Windows 8 with dual boot, and now my sound doesnt work on wither win 7 or win 8.
It was working beforehand, now I can't get it working on Windows 7. Tried reinstalling the hardware, and rebooting a couple of times. Nothing worked. I'm stuck on earphones for the moment!

Its the Optimus IV.

eoinzy

Strangely enough, I fixed this by setting Windows 7 as the default OS.
I reckon it was something to do with Windows 8's new UEFI boot, which tries to only let "signed" software run. By making the Windows 7 boot loader the default, it skipped that, thus allowing the laptop to run its non-signed drivers as normal.

Zarlax

I'm on an Optimus IV atm too. The speakers work sometimes, but seem to stop working randomly (no idea what the cause is). had no problem on windows 7, just windows 8 (pro upgrade version)

Anyone found a fix?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
bump again...still got this prob after upgrading optimus iv to 8.1

IMO it's most likely either a driver or an OS issue for you. I've been running Windows 8.1 since it became available on my Optimus IV and I get sound both from headphones (when plugged in) and from the crappy speakers when not. So it's not a common problem with the Optimus IV chassis nor with Windows 8.1. (I'm not running the THX software).

Try a reinstall of Windows 8.1 and the original PCS-supplied drivers. If that doesn't work upgrade to the latest 8.1 drivers from the Clevo website (and only from there). If that doesn't work it's probably a hardware issue and you'll need to call PCS.

I'm running with the original PCS-supplied Windows 8 drivers too. I never update drivers unless I get a problem or I need the additional features the new driver supplies. I never recommend that people religiously update to a new driver as soon as one comes available either. What you're doing there is moving off code that's been executed billions of times and found to be bug free for new code that's only been executed a few thousand times and may well contain unknown bugs.

Ubuysa's Rule #6: Never update any software unless you really need to or unless you really have to. (Apologies to Jethro Gibbs)