Ligthroom 4 or Capture NX2 your thoughts!

mamba17

I'm kinda newbie to the magical world of post processing photo's.

Pro's and Con's will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

mishra

Rising Star
Never used Capture NX2. But I cannot imagine life without Lightroom. I would say go Lightroom, as it extremely well made software. Comes with everything you need to process photos, is very easy and intuitive.
There are also more people familiar with Lightroom, so if you ever have to share experience or knowledge with others it's easier that way.
Most of people I know who do things with photos, it's the Adobe route: Photoshop/Lightroom combo. However, if you have access to NX2 try it out and see for yourself. I have a feeling tho, guide wise and knowledgebase , there will be more help available for Lightroom users.

mamba17

I've kinda used both with its 30 days free trial versions, I think I might be buying both editing software as a noobie, LR4 is very easy to use and CNX2 has its unique u point technology.
First unedited pic taken in RAW then converted to JPEG with Viewnex, slight tinkering in CPNX2
DSC_0950.jpg

Finishing touches at LR4
DSC_0950.jpg

Any CC will be much appreciated

By the way our new rig is rendering very fast, you can see the changes as soon as you move the adjustment sliders.

All images are copyrighted

Last edited:

mishra

Rising Star
First image much better. Second one too much Saturation or Vibrance applied. It could be wrong color profile on your monitor, mine or it was done in purpose. On my monitor, grass on that second picture looks like from Avatar, not very natural at all. Except that fantastic shot! I do like it a lot.

Spuff

Expert
Too much green in the processed version for me too. It looks like the Incredible Hulk on steroids. I think my monitor is well calibrated.
I'm an LR4 user also.

Last edited:

HGBee

I was an Adobe PS CS5 fan until a friend of mine introduced me to Lightroom through VSCO presets. Now it's all I ever use

davidyoung

Lightroom is superb, well it was until the latest release, they are going back in the next. Release. The thing is Lightroom is a database with Adobe Camera raw included. All edits are stored in a sidecar file, XMP.Nikon software replicates your in camera settings so if shooting raw saves a few steps, Lightroom can be set up with develop settings to replicate these settings. LR is easy to use. If you want the best editor DXO 10 is the king. Photoshop as a pixel editor is best for layers and creative stuff. You can use all these programmes on a 30 day trial. Give them all a go and see what you get along with best. I have all 3 but LR does 99% of my edits and I use RAW for everything.