PC MOVER or ZINSTALL

micben

Bronze Level Poster
I'm awaiting a new Desktop from PCS, but intend also keeping my old Evesham (for my wife to use, mainly). Have been looking at PC MOVER and ZINSTALL software which transfers the entire data from your old to your new PC, without having to install drivers and move your old data over bit by bit.

ZINSTALL allows you to keep your old familiar Windows XP alongside the Windows 7 on your new PC, and to switch between the two, which seems to be a good idea to familiarise yourself with 7 at your own pace.

Has anybody here got any experience of these programs? I want to know if you can move everything over BUT still leave all data on the old PC as well. Is that possible?

Sleinous

Author Level
Yes, use Norton Ghost to make a clone image of your first comp, copy it to the HDD in new comp. Then install Win 7 as a dual-boot afterwards. HOWEVER, I doubt itll work as moving XP from one motherboard to another is CHAOS. 99.9% chance it wont load.

LFFPicard

Godlike
I have never had a issue moving XP from one pc to another with different components, even motherboard.. it just moans a lot about drivers and installs a lot of generic stuff to run on the new machine.

At the end of the day though I personally don't recommend duel boot or even the method you have suggested. Although it entirely depends on what is on your system.
For example from what you have said zinstall clones your current system onto a new one including drivers.. To be fair you wont need any of that as the new system need a complete set of new drivers for the new hardware you have, and the current files zinstall will transfer will just clog up your system.
Myself I usually just make a folder on my desktop for backup and copy everything I need in there like documents folders and saved games I have and any personal bits laying around. Then I do a steam backup and copy that over.
Then set new system up and just install all my games and restore my saves games and steam and done.

micben

Bronze Level Poster
That's very interesting and helpful. In that case it seems best to leave zinstall alone. But as I am getting out of my depth with this, would you be kind enough to explain your method again in terms a newbie can understand, for example I don't know what steam means. Thanks in advance!

Appmen

Alternative to PC mover and ZInstall

You may consider to use WET (windows easy transfer) and PickMeApp: two free solutions to migrate from XP to Windows 7. WET may transfer your XP settings to Win 7 while portable PickMeApp tool may transfer programs from XP to Windows 7. PickMeApp claims to support unlimited number of programs.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
If it,s just data files you want to move to another pc,probably the easiest way would be with a usb external hard drive.

pengipete

Rising Star
Don't forget that if the XP on the old machine is an OEM version, it can't be used on another PC even if the old one is scrapped - it's tied to the hardware on which it was originally installed- and it certainly can't be used on two PC's. Even if you will be using a version of Windows 7 that includes XP, you may struggle if you just copy the old installation because the base hardware will be different right down to the chipset. Ignoring the 32/64 bit issue, you could end up spending more time dealing with problems than it would to get a clean installation.

Also, it's not just Windows that is licenced to a single machine - most commercial software is also single user licenced so running it on both computers would be the same as downloading pirated copies. Some software will even refuse to work on two PCs as it "phones home" whenever it is run.

To add to what Vanthus says about using an external housing, you may find it just as easy to temporarily install the drive from the old PC and copy off the personal data to your user folder - either way is fine.

Anthony.Ralph

Bronze Level Poster
I have always seen a new computer as the perfect reason to do a completely fresh installation and thus clear out all of the old crud that invariably collects over the months and years. It allows for a reappraisal of all the programs installed and whether they are needed in the light of experience. I'm sure you know the ones - little bits-and-bobs downloaded because they looked interesting or promised to help with productivity, etc. etc.

Incidentally, I am a great believer in holding data files on a separate hard drive(s) which can be popped into a new machine without any time consuming copying.

Anthony.

pengipete

Rising Star
Completely agree.

A computer with a clean installation is like a bed with fresh sheets - lovely.

A separate drive for data - absolute no-brainer now that hard-drives are so cheap and there's a marked performance boost even with today's powerful hardware. Better still, with Vista and W7 it's a doddle to move your personal folders - no more pipes and hacks.

micheljgaudet

Did you READ the QUESTION?

Yes, use Norton Ghost to make a clone image of your first comp, copy it to the HDD in new comp. Then install Win 7 as a dual-boot afterwards. HOWEVER, I doubt itll work as moving XP from one motherboard to another is CHAOS. 99.9% chance it wont load.

The question asked NOTHING about ;Norton Ghost', which would be WAY harder for a 'neub' to use than say... Acronis "True Image Home".

I have tried BOTH "Zinstall" and "Laplink". If you are moving to the SAME OS, no big concern as BOTH will get the job done. Going from XP to 7 or 8, use "Zinstall" as it will get ALL of the system over to the new, PLUS it will walk you through setting up so you can STILL use XP on the NEW system... easy-peesy! :sailor:

micheljgaudet

Clone?

I have never had a issue moving XP from one pc to another with different components, even motherboard.. it just moans a lot about drivers and installs a lot of generic stuff to run on the new machine.

At the end of the day though I personally don't recommend duel boot or even the method you have suggested. Although it entirely depends on what is on your system.
For example from what you have said zinstall clones your current system onto a new one including drivers.. To be fair you wont need any of that as the new system need a complete set of new drivers for the new hardware you have, and the current files zinstall will transfer will just clog up your system.
Myself I usually just make a folder on my desktop for backup and copy everything I need in there like documents folders and saved games I have and any personal bits laying around. Then I do a steam backup and copy that over.
Then set new system up and just install all my games and restore my saves games and steam and done.

Neither Zinstall or Laplink PCmover CLONE the system, but rather COPY. If ya' wanna CLONE, get "True Image Home" by the company Acronis. And NO, to COPY is not really the same as to CLONE.

Last edited: