Dual Boot Menu Won't Go Away

BigC

So recently I tried installing a new drive to run windows from, so I installed windows onto it, but realised in order for it to work I would have to re install all of my programs on my data hard drive.

So I scrapped that idea, uninstalled windows on the new drive and un-plugged it from the mobo.

But now every time I turn my PC on the Boot Management Menu still comes up with two windows 7 options, The first doesn't work and comes up with an error message and the second is the one that does work.

IMAG0059.jpg

Is the Boot Management information stored on the mobo or hard drive, would resetting mobo fix it or is there a different way to fix my problem.

baron75mk2

Banned
sounds like the mbr is still present on the other drive

Best way is to install the new drive & completely unplug the old one , re-install windows then plug the other drive in & boot from a program on disk or usb called Gparted - use Gparted to format the old drive.

Or if you dont want to use the old drive just remove it completely.

it does mean you will be starting from scratch but you shouldnt have this issue at least :yes:

for another way check out this post could possibly work http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/181548-duplicate-entries-windows-boot-manager.html

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
you can delete the entry you don't need by going to system configuration.
ClickStart, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press enter to start the System Configuration Utility.
1. Click the Boot tab.

2. Select the boot entry you want to delete.

3. Click the Delete button and then click OK.
The one you want to keep should be shown as "Current OS",but I don't think you can delete that anyway.

Last edited:

BigC

you can delete the entry you don't need by going to system configuration.
ClickStart, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press enter to start the System Configuration Utility.
1. Click the Boot tab.

2. Select the boot entry you want to delete.

3. Click the Delete button and then click OK.
The one you want to keep should be shown as "Current OS",but I don't think you can delete that anyway.

Thanks very much that was a quick minute fix without having to start from scratch.