PC vs MAC LOL

pr1s0ner

You pay for processor R&D in any computer, and ASDA and tesco's will have similar overheads. My point is that some of the extra cost has some justification, and some is clearly artificial, but at the end of the day your paying for the brand (app store and all)

pr1s0ner

Sorry, I get confused easily :) I rate my good days by how often I have to wipe my drool off my chin, oh no wait a minute I don't use a mac XD

rontuo

If you want to know the real reason people buy Macs (and iphones and ipads) it is two words "Designer Label". It is a matter of fashion not logic. There is a certain snobbery about it and the feeling the buyer has that he must be more discerning and therefore better than other people misguided enough to buy a Windows or other OS product. I love the way Apple fanboys like to laugh at Windows BSOD, but I have to say after two years of W7, I cannot fault it, it is a bloody good OS and has never given me the BSOD experience. There is nothing wrong with Apple products apart from the control freakery of Steve Jobs and presumably his replacement as CEO, the war against Flash being a case in point as is the upgrade related battle to beat the jailbreakers. They have very good user interfaces which are simple to use, particularly for the computer virgin. Me I realise I'm not as sophisticated or well bred as the average Apple fanboy, but with my high spec PC, my Galaxy 10.1 Android Tab and my Galaxy S2 Android phone I am as happy as a pig in sh*t knowing that I actually own these products, I can do what I like with them including root them, and have not paid a high price just to use them under sufference.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
If you want to know the real reason people buy Macs (and iphones and ipads) it is two words "Designer Label". It is a matter of fashion not logic. There is a certain snobbery about it and the feeling the buyer has that he must be more discerning and therefore better than other people misguided enough to buy a Windows or other OS product. I love the way Apple fanboys like to laugh at Windows BSOD, but I have to say after two years of W7, I cannot fault it, it is a bloody good OS and has never given me the BSOD experience. There is nothing wrong with Apple products apart from the control freakery of Steve Jobs and presumably his replacement as CEO, the war against Flash being a case in point as is the upgrade related battle to beat the jailbreakers. They have very good user interfaces which are simple to use, particularly for the computer virgin. Me I realise I'm not as sophisticated or well bred as the average Apple fanboy, but with my high spec PC, my Galaxy 10.1 Android Tab and my Galaxy S2 Android phone I am as happy as a pig in sh*t knowing that I actually own these products, I can do what I like with them including root them, and have not paid a high price just to use them under sufference.

Well you clearly havent bothered reading anyones posts in here and continue to stick with the general rubbish stereotypes. I clearly stated above that the MAC is far superior for programming, keyboard is much much faster to type on, IDE's run much better, ability to program iOS apps in objective C, the fact its a clean user interface with a Unix back end helps tremendously too.

Actually you hear as many apple fanboys laughing at BSOD than you get apple haters such as yourself who come on forums and state that all people buy a mac for is the "Designer Label". Both views while partially true dont hold up for the majority of people. The extra price of the mac is well worth it in my opinion as a development machine as my workflow is greatly improved and productivity increased massivley.

If you read around actually Apple are going to support flash, however they were perfectly right in the first place saying no to it tbh, its a dying technology, and especially in web based areas applications (mainly websites) which use flash are slow and not suitable for mobile devices. HTML 5 is the way forward and can do everything a flash developer can do, flash is ridiculous too when it comes to what your allowed to use to make it etc whereas HTML5 can be programmed in notepad if you really want to. I actually dont blame apple for choosing not to support flash, yeah it was a risky move originally but tbh as I said its a dying technology.

As for rooting your devices, who gives a crap, I have an iPhone and I want to install apps on it, I dont need to root my device to do this, I dont need access to a file system, while there may be advantages to doing this in certain cases there are also disadvantages too. iOS is designed in such a way that apps run in their own sandbox thereofre it is impossible for apps to interact with eachother. Now while this does slightly diminish the possibilities available to a developer it greatley increases security. Also I know as an iOS developer and an android developer that although Java is easier to program (in my opinion) than objective C, due to memory management etc, objective C is more powerful, faster and generally nicer imo to work with for MVC architectures. Also I know that when programming for iOS devices all devices have common attributes, they all have a particular processor, screen size, screen resolution, specific sensors, this makes it much easier to make apps that are suitable for all iOS devices rather than programming an app for a specific android device, but not being able to use it on a different one due to hardware restrictions.

Both apple and their rivals have their advantages and disadvantages, but theres no need to slag off mac owners.

rontuo

Well you clearly havent bothered reading anyones posts in here and continue to stick with the general rubbish stereotypes. I clearly stated above that the MAC is far superior for programming, keyboard is much much faster to type on, IDE's run much better, ability to program iOS apps in objective C, the fact its a clean user interface with a Unix back end helps tremendously too.

Actually you hear as many apple fanboys laughing at BSOD than you get apple haters such as yourself who come on forums and state that all people buy a mac for is the "Designer Label". Both views while partially true dont hold up for the majority of people. The extra price of the mac is well worth it in my opinion as a development machine as my workflow is greatly improved and productivity increased massivley.

If you read around actually Apple are going to support flash, however they were perfectly right in the first place saying no to it tbh, its a dying technology, and especially in web based areas applications (mainly websites) which use flash are slow and not suitable for mobile devices. HTML 5 is the way forward and can do everything a flash developer can do, flash is ridiculous too when it comes to what your allowed to use to make it etc whereas HTML5 can be programmed in notepad if you really want to. I actually dont blame apple for choosing not to support flash, yeah it was a risky move originally but tbh as I said its a dying technology.

As for rooting your devices, who gives a crap, I have an iPhone and I want to install apps on it, I dont need to root my device to do this, I dont need access to a file system, while there may be advantages to doing this in certain cases there are also disadvantages too. iOS is designed in such a way that apps run in their own sandbox thereofre it is impossible for apps to interact with eachother. Now while this does slightly diminish the possibilities available to a developer it greatley increases security. Also I know as an iOS developer and an android developer that although Java is easier to program (in my opinion) than objective C, due to memory management etc, objective C is more powerful, faster and generally nicer imo to work with for MVC architectures. Also I know that when programming for iOS devices all devices have common attributes, they all have a particular processor, screen size, screen resolution, specific sensors, this makes it much easier to make apps that are suitable for all iOS devices rather than programming an app for a specific android device, but not being able to use it on a different one due to hardware restrictions.

Both apple and their rivals have their advantages and disadvantages, but theres no need to slag off mac owners.

Oh dear, lighten up mate, my post was tongue in cheek and I did actually read the entire thread by the way. My apologies if it came over as slagging off Mac owners, it was more meant to poke gentle fun at the Apple fanboy. Most people I would guess buy Apple because of the designer label vibe, but not all of course so this was not an accusation against you, and I did say, and I quote "There is nothing wrong with Apple apart from the control freakery of Steve Jobs.........." which happens to be my main reason for not buying Apple. I don't want to have to use itunes or the like but an iphone without it is useless, and that is my point about control freakery. You have your views about Flash but when I see guys with their iphones bringing up common websites and getting little empty boxes, you have to question Job's point of view. Nor was Job's objection to Flash anything to do with the technology, it was everything to do with Adobe. The point about rooting on Android which you miss is I can, not that I have or that it is necessary to do so. The same process on the iphone which 'reading about' it seems lots of people feel the need to do to make it work like it should, is known as jailbreaking and every time you get an update you have to wait till someone releases yet another jailbreak so you're back to where you were. Considering you're paying a premium for what is admittedly a good product, that approach is IMHO a trifle harsh. A bit like a car manufacturer insisting you have your car serviced by them or athey will void any warranty, something the EEC have made illegal.

Oh and I too am a developer of 30+ years and I have no problems running Visual Studio on Windows and yes you are right Java is easier to program than objective C which is why it was designed that way but again you are right, objective C is better, though C# comes some way to bridging the gap.

mishra

Rising Star
Hmm... I'm not a really great fan of Apple products (well not any more at least). But I own one of the very first single-core macbook's for like last hmm... 4-5 years (I bought it back then second hand for a very low price). I dropped it like million times. It lasted my uni, and also 2 jobs when I was taking it daily to work, it's been abused and quite heavily used - I' actually tried to kill it as wanted to get some replacement, but since it refused to die then I'm just stuck with it ^^. It's a bit cracked... but bloody hell it's seriously will not stop operating. It just works, every single time I use it (my gf uses it all the time). There is no need for restart, there is also no need to switch it off. just close the lid and forget about it.

Now... some people say mac's are for trendy people and are also overpriced, well I don't care what people say. That's the only product I ever bought from Apple... and dear me it's extremely good, never let me down.

ps. Another matter is I am on my 3rd charger tho :( As good as macs are chargers are utter crap.

mishra

Rising Star
Lol. Over a year later and this is still going!

You see Apple vs PC is as old as Atari vs Commadore, like consoles vs PC's, like Windows vs Linux or brunettes vs blondes. People grow up and change minds, but same principles always applies. One has to be always different to the other. Not just different ofcourse, I meant one must be better than the other, always! There is only one truth, MINE truth ^^

Serendipity

Enthusiast
Personally I find that if you are paying for Apple, you are paying at least 30% for the label... sure the hardware is good and reliable, but if you get a higher end spec P.C for £1200-£1400 you are more likely to pay over £2000 for Apple, it wasn't always like this, it just went up when the iPod came out and Apple was a 'trend' so to speak.

If I had the money I'd go for a top spec Mac, but as I said before, you are talking about £2000 at least.

This has probably posted before without a doubt..