PC vs MAC LOL

LDUK

Master Poster
lol, sorry about it its because LDUK is everywhere!:p

Even god asks me how I do it lol.

But all these points are perfect. My main question was why do people get MACs, and the outcome is clear as day. They don't research. That's it. If everyone spent a bit of time researching their personal computer purchase, they would all get a PC lol.

Even god asks me how I do it lol.

But all these points are perfect. My main question was why do people get MACs, and the outcome is clear as day. They don't research. That's it. If everyone spent a bit of time researching their personal computer purchase, they would all get a PC lol.

Well I think it's partially true.

When I bought my Macbook I was so lazy to find out what the differences were for a sea of windows laptops. But now after having done lots of researches on PC because I need one to play game (oh well what can I say, Macs are not for playing games, simple fact), if I could choose again, I would still go for a Macbook. Why? Because they look great, everything is neat, they have decent specs, they don't make funny noises, they don't overheat, softwares are stable and they have almost all I need preinstalled, short startup time, ...

Previously I had laptops from some big names. The Dell one had great spec for its price (well my older brother did the research and he said so, he's still using one from Dell), problem was it's too big and heavy, and not very good looking. The Vaio I had was a bit nicer, looking-wise, but it was a lot more expensive than the Dell, almost as costly as a Macbook, and after a short time it started to be very noisy and hot. The 2 HP ones I had for me and my mum both had a problem with the monitors, they just died, and the cost to fix those almost equals to buy a new one. I've never had a custom built laptop but I think it will be ugly and big and heavy anyway.

So now I think I would stick with Macbook when I need a decent on-the-go computer and a desktop pc when I need something powerful to do whatever I need something powerful for.

Voyeurism

So now I think I would stick with Macbook when I need a decent on-the-go computer and a desktop pc when I need something powerful to do whatever I need something powerful for.

This is exactly my plan - when I replace my laptop (which won't be soon, given how much we're spending on new s**t for the new house) I'll almost certainly buy a Macbook Pro. I am, however, unlikely to ever buy an iMac or Mac Pro to replace my (in pre-production) desktop PC.

Frank

Bronze Level Poster
hello there

gotta fan the flames.

if one buys a pc/laptop for whatever reason without doing any research, mac or Pc, well.... what do you expect? silly billy! :)

I was a *mac hater* until i owned one. Now i understand them and think they are great bits of kit.

I can only talk for the G5 tower, however. While it is expensive, it's as solid as a rock and although running at a lower clock speed than my old pc, it quite easily outrendered/outperformed it alouth the PC was a far higher spec and a good few years younger.

I think using a mac in the realworld, rather than comparing pure specs vs cost is a better benchmark.

Again, if I could afford it, I'd have a couple of Macs for my music/rendering and a Pc for gaming.

IMHO macs feel cleaner and easier to use than pc's, especially when being creative, whereas my PC feels more robust in Gaming.

Both Pc's and Mac's have their strengths and faults, and its too easy to spout rhetoric about something one hasnt used in real world situations.

I have a true Mac fanboi mate and he slates the PC in similar ways to some posts here have slated the mac. I dont agree with that either.

Use one, (properly, not just in a shop and not one that's not up to the task) for a good while and at first you'll hate the seemingly simplified OS, but once you get it, they're great.

Crikey, im sounding like a bit of a mac fanatic. Im not, I just think you're not giving them their due.

rgds

f

Sleinous

Author Level
All good points, however my point of view is this:

For what it is and the equivalent parts the Macs are overpriced, way overpriced.

This is a well known example of just how overpriced they are.

1283525187943.jpg

http://www.3nglish.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/1283525187943.jpg

Mac Os x is nice and works well, as for it inspiring Windows, Mac Os X is heavily ripped off from various Linux distros (unix parentage they are the same thing in my eyes). Good ideas travel fast, especially if they are not protected.

As has been said before Mac Os X does not suffer many of Windows niggles as it does not have to support as much hardware, its swapping versatility for reliability which is great for some, horrible for others. The firmware in my coffee machine runs like a dream, it should do too as it has a very limited scope, just like the Mac.

As for higher build quality, i am somewhat shocked by this. Apple have a long history (sorry i dont mean Apple as such, more of Steve Jobs) of ignoring basic principles in order to meet design ideals. That is they prefer form over function. This is evident in designs where they opt for passive cooling where it is not suitable (aluminium macbook too hot to touch after a few hours etc).

And at the end of the day, theyre all made by Foxconn whose mainboards are so unreliable we dare not stock them!

I had a lot of respect for Apples design in days gone by, recently with the move to intel they are simply selling poorly thought out PC's at horrendously marked up prices with Mac Os x on them.

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant there didnt it =[

One last thing on my rant. Apple hates the UK and treats us with utter contempt.

Heres an example:

Mac USA http://www.apple.com/macmini/ Mac Mini from $699.

Mac UK http://www.apple.com/uk/macmini/ Mac Mini from £649

lol wut?

$699 USD = £447.474553 GBP

Maybe its VAT?

£447 + 17.5% = £525.25

Ok, maybe not. That my friends, is the Apple tax.

The man speaks nothing but the truth here.

LDUK

Master Poster
hello there

gotta fan the flames.

if one buys a pc/laptop for whatever reason without doing any research, mac or Pc, well.... what do you expect? silly billy! :)

I was a *mac hater* until i owned one. Now i understand them and think they are great bits of kit.

I can only talk for the G5 tower, however. While it is expensive, it's as solid as a rock and although running at a lower clock speed than my old pc, it quite easily outrendered/outperformed it alouth the PC was a far higher spec and a good few years younger.

I think using a mac in the realworld, rather than comparing pure specs vs cost is a better benchmark.

Again, if I could afford it, I'd have a couple of Macs for my music/rendering and a Pc for gaming.

IMHO macs feel cleaner and easier to use than pc's, especially when being creative, whereas my PC feels more robust in Gaming.

Both Pc's and Mac's have their strengths and faults, and its too easy to spout rhetoric about something one hasnt used in real world situations.

I have a true Mac fanboi mate and he slates the PC in similar ways to some posts here have slated the mac. I dont agree with that either.

Use one, (properly, not just in a shop and not one that's not up to the task) for a good while and at first you'll hate the seemingly simplified OS, but once you get it, they're great.

Crikey, im sounding like a bit of a mac fanatic. Im not, I just think you're not giving them their due.

rgds

f

I was pretty much the other way around. I used to think Macs were cool, and I had saved up to get one (which took a while as you can imagine). I decided to give it a good old trial on my friends Mac before spending the cash. And It was a good job I did too. I just hate the way it works lol. I found that everything I wanted the Mac for, I could do just as easy on a PC. Which was mainly photos and videos. And I would have been paying more for less. So I decided to research, and finally ended up building my own PC. And I was very happy lol. With the added bonus of a gaming machine, I couldn't be happier.

I spoke too two guys at uni that they sed they found the Mac was faster, I looked into a mac laptop to get me by for a while the cost for what i wanted was pricey! £2000+ I do think PC's give not just more value for money (have been looking at building my pc), but the new macs apparently you can use something called bootcamp to dual boot with windows, although for now i'm getting by on a samsung nc10 an using open source linux! But yeh macs are sleek an sexy!

Gorman

Author Level
i cant say what i like, but one day i will own one - just dont tell the Gorman ;)

No you wont Zep we have been through this before, you cant afford to be a Mac fanboy.

The Gorman doesn't get sick, he just pretends, and gets down to Ninja work.

Truth. Except for this one time i got really ill.

If I were you id hide that comment quickly :p Gorman is back tomorrow.

I fixed that for you.