Witcher 3

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Ok i started the game again last night from the start, and actually did some of the side missions. First play through i just hit up the main quest to the point where i met Yeniffer.

The side quests on the prologue (White Orchid?) are really good, didn't feel like just a "Side Quest" if you know what i mean. The same quest with a different skin. Really glad i went back.

Also running it now with a MOD that renders it differently and it looks even more amazing now.

Anyone else running mods?

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Ok i started the game again last night from the start, and actually did some of the side missions. First play through i just hit up the main quest to the point where i met Yeniffer.

The side quests on the prologue (White Orchid?) are really good, didn't feel like just a "Side Quest" if you know what i mean. The same quest with a different skin. Really glad i went back.

Also running it now with a MOD that renders it differently and it looks even more amazing now.

Anyone else running mods?

Think I might start again tonight. Just met Yennefer but I've screwed up so much alchemy, buying and selling etc. Want to restart now I'm a bit more aware what the vajazzle is going on

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
Can anyone tell me what this monstrosity is please?

It has appeared in Woesong Bridge, near the shopkeeper.

I was harvesting cows for their meat and this huge ram horned thing appeared out of nowhere as soon as I came out of time thing in the menu. Gave me a fright!!

I posted the photo on my Twitter

SlimCini

This game is razzing me off for the first time. The difficulty is all over the place. Some places you can take a thousand blows and just pummel opponents to death without any worries. Other places I get wrecked. For example, got to that shrieker contract mission at level 6 and it's utterly annihilating me everytime... I'm not even getting close to touching it. Watching youtube guides online and the people showing how to do it have got all sorts of fancy upgraded signs helping them take it down which means there's no way they can be level 6. Either that or they're trading blows with it meaning they must be on easy to not bleed out.

How the heck can you hit it without one of it's attacks getting you and making you bleed? Again, online it seems people aren't taking any damage by dodging around it, but the hitbox of its sweeps seems insane and I always get tagged. Rage quite that and went off to do a different quest.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
This game is razzing me off for the first time. The difficulty is all over the place. Some places you can take a thousand blows and just pummel opponents to death without any worries. Other places I get wrecked. For example, got to that shrieker contract mission at level 6 and it's utterly annihilating me everytime... I'm not even getting close to touching it. Watching youtube guides online and the people showing how to do it have got all sorts of fancy upgraded signs helping them take it down which means there's no way they can be level 6. Either that or they're trading blows with it meaning they must be on easy to not bleed out.

How the heck can you hit it without one of it's attacks getting you and making you bleed? Again, online it seems people aren't taking any damage by dodging around it, but the hitbox of its sweeps seems insane and I always get tagged. Rage quite that and went off to do a different quest.

I found that, a lot of the witcher contracts are too difficult even when you're the right level. I ended up putting it on the lowest difficulty just so I could have fun and play it for the story

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
There's nothing wrong with the game, it's the gamer.

What level are you at SlimCini ?

Stock up on potions, loot everything, sell what you can, Do the main story as you'll gather more XP and level up faster.

If you can't kill a shrieker or anything else, you'll have to level up. Potions on your swords will help a lot.

For Vitality, Water and Milk are good for raising your health. There's also a 'powerup' in the menu that will give you health back when you're not in battle.

I'm at level 17 and I'm going back to all the lower level stuff and murdering every single enemy, before travelling to Skellige.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I'm finding that i have to refer to the trusty Witchers Manual to find out the creatures weaknesses etc. Then my battles tend to go a little better.

I'm struggling for gold though, is it just me or when you finish a quest and the quest giver gives you those puppy dog eyes when if come to trading money for your good deed, and im just like, Keep it. :(

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
I'm finding that i have to refer to the trusty Witchers Manual to find out the creatures weaknesses etc. Then my battles tend to go a little better.

I'm struggling for gold though, is it just me or when you finish a quest and the quest giver gives you those puppy dog eyes when if come to trading money for your good deed, and im just like, Keep it. :(

Just take the money instead!

Also, once you're in novigrad there's a gwent mission that gets you a load of money, so definitely do that mission!

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Gwent is awesome, reminds me of the card game in Final Fantasy 9, it was almost better then the game it inhabited.

Gwent is definitely the best thing about the witcher :) Make sure you do all the side quests to get the better cards, otherwise you can't do the quest i'm on about

Spuff

Expert
I found that, a lot of the witcher contracts are too difficult even when you're the right level. I ended up putting it on the lowest difficulty just so I could have fun and play it for the story

I've had little trouble with missions that are the same level as me on standard difficulty. Chase after the shrieker I did it second attempt, roll and keep away from it's head and hit in the sides and back.
The Ghost By the Well you have to fight at night. Wraithy things you need to hit them inside a Yrden.
Aard a shielded human and quickly get round their back.

If you do have trouble with a same-level fight, leave it and come back in a couple of levels time. 2 levels seem enough to make it a lot easier.
If you can't damage the Shrieker you need to find better weapons and probably have points in your quick attack.

Last edited:

SlimCini

There's nothing wrong with the game, it's the gamer.

What level are you at SlimCini ?

Stock up on potions, loot everything, sell what you can, Do the main story as you'll gather more XP and level up faster.

If you can't kill a shrieker or anything else, you'll have to level up. Potions on your swords will help a lot.

For Vitality, Water and Milk are good for raising your health. There's also a 'powerup' in the menu that will give you health back when you're not in battle.

I'm at level 17 and I'm going back to all the lower level stuff and murdering every single enemy, before travelling to Skellige.

I'm level 6 which is admittedly still quite low I suppose. I'm fully aware that I'm not perfect at the mechanics of this yet, however my complaint is that the loose guide for knowing which quests are suitable for you doesn't seem to really work. The shrieker quest is recommended green for me. If it is actually a quest that most people are levelling up a lot more for and then going back to annihilate it (or cheesing it with igni at low level), that kind of defeats the challenge of the entire game doesn't it? I don't want to overlevel and make certain quests purposefully easy for myself... I suppose my complaint is that in a game like this, the best thing is difficulty balance and that the ideal is that you take on quests when they are appropriate to your level. Take them on too soon and they seem unfairly difficult (like this friggin' shrieker)... take them on too late and they're too easy. The game's design of letting you know when might be an appropriate time to 'do' a quest doesn't seem all that accurate. Which means all I seem to be left with is just trialling quests and seeing how easy or difficult they are which seems a bit of a hit and miss method.

Above all else though, I'm clearly just butt hurt that this stupid shrieker keeps making me bleed out. The little f****** t**t. :mad::censored:

It's going down later I can assure you... hopefully... though I assume it will still be there circling given I ran away like a pansy and started another quest without actually fighting it?! The game never said 'quest failed' so it must still be an open one to complete at some point. That actually makes me feel better that the stupid shrieker is just circling in the sky for hours waiting for me to come and fight it. I'm wasting it's time... that's some payback :D

SlimCini

EDIT. I think my downfall is my OCD to do all side quests before story missions which is affecting my leveling speed (and therefore my feeble attempts to do side quests I'm clearly not ready for). I'm paranoid that doing a story mission might cause some side quests to disappear. Screw it, I'm just doing story missions later. All I can think about at work is Witcher 3... sign of a good game. Only happened before with Red Dead Redemption and Dark Souls 1.

Spuff

Expert
EDIT. I think my downfall is my OCD to do all side quests before story missions which is affecting my leveling speed (and therefore my feeble attempts to do side quests I'm clearly not ready for.

Yes, I've found that. The main quest pumps you through the levels. I'm level 16 and I haven't gone to Skellige yet and I haven't noticed any quests disappearing.
The game is a bit odd spreading a mix of easy things and things that are currently impossible around the same map section.

It seems to me if you do a secondary task when you are well above its level you get very little experience, but the experience for the main quests stays the same.
Edit: I've been clearing some L12 main quests up at character L17 and all the sections are only giving me 5 experience.

Last edited:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Think I will run into the problem when I get around to getting it Slim. In all these "open world" games, I tend to try and do as much side stuff before progressing the story. Did it in all the AC games, though they will likely have been more forgiving than this :)

Deklore

Bright Spark
I know im a bit late, but just started playing this properly. Bloody amazing game. I first tried it on release and didn't take to it (think I wasn't in the frame of mind for a long wrpg) but after starting again I can see why a lot of people are now saying this is their GOTY. Its looking that way for me right now as well.

Think i'll be playing this for a while.

Fantana

Bronze Level Poster
I know im a bit late, but just started playing this properly. Bloody amazing game. I first tried it on release and didn't take to it (think I wasn't in the frame of mind for a long wrpg) but after starting again I can see why a lot of people are now saying this is their GOTY. Its looking that way for me right now as well.

Think i'll be playing this for a while.

It's never too late to start!

It's definitely game of the year for me.

Your 980Ti will handle the game effortlessly, but still if you're interested in optimizing it further check out some points I posted on page 6 of this thread.

Deklore

Bright Spark
Thanks Fantana, will definitely check it out :)

Aye, I was hedging my bets on Fallout 4, but that seems a bit dated compared to the Witcher 3 and not just graphically either. Very disappointed with the pc version - no fov slider, physics linked to framerate etc.