Witcher 3

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
It runs not bad at all to be honest.

At 1440p resolution getting about 68 fps with everything at ultra.

One thing i noticed as the game likes to set itself to Borderless window and this seems to make it sit at about 55 fps.

But so far so good.

Fer graphical glitches, things passing through objects, with the Hair effects on the hair seems to go through Geralts Ears in stead of moving round it. The hair also moves about a bit violently and looks like its juddering but other than that no major issues my side.

I'll keep you up to date with any issues i find.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Update on Patch 1.03

After updating to Patch 1.03 i am noticing a good 10fps more with the same settings as i was using before the update so that's a great improvement. More options avalable such as texture quality. Cranking them all up to ultra im still stitting at about 65-70 fps at 1440p.

Respect to CDPR at this point on their work on the PC version, im looking forward to any future updates they do.

Stressed

Silver Level Poster
So I've played this for about 3 hours (still in the first region - orchard farm as I like to explore a lot)
I have a Definance 15'6, i7 2.5 ghz, 8gb RAM, gtx 970m

I use recommended settings from Nvidia - it switches most settings to ultra/high - but I've turned off the hair thing.
I get 40-50 FPS.
With everything on ultra I get constant 30 fps.
I haven't tried patch 1.03 yet but am excited to do so if there's performance and graphics improvement.

Anyway this game is spectacular. It's the kind of game you are eager to come back from work/school/lover's bed just to play through it. I have not played the previous Witcher games, but it's really enjoyable.

I recommend playing at the 3rd difficulty - it makes you want to actually craft potions and make use of monster's weaknesses.
It has a good crafting system, and the economy is well balanced. Money is hard to come by in the game, so the player has to be frugal and make decisions on what to have and what not to have.

I really enjoy the combat style, and the runes and how they play a greater role outside fighting. (manipulating people and even your horse)

The graphics make me pee my pants. I really really enjoy the sunsets.

The voice acting is amazing, the characters display emotions well (to some extent) and really draw you into the story. This feeling is greater if you take your time to read through books/letters - which you kind of have to for some quests.

Anyway, my video card decided to fail me just before bank holiday weekend :( luckly PCS is extremely fast and they've already scheduled a pick up date for repairs. Literally one hour after my problem occurred.

Enjoy the game!

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Anyone else getting a problem with the horse animation?

Only when its walking and its very slight but when the horse animation for walking repeats the cam stutters for like 1ms every repeat. Doesn't happen when its running.

Cant find anyone else mention it so wander if its just me.

Deklore

Bright Spark
Was wondering if someone could comment on the controls for movement and combat? Ive heard some reports that movement and combat is very inaccurate and clunky e.g. when you stop moving Geralt always takes a few extra steps and also when you have auto run on he always walks a couple steps before he starts running.
Obviously im not expecting the precision of the Souls games, but was just wondering how you guys find the movement and combat?

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hey Deklore.

I've not found that problem myself. I know with Pre Patch 1.03 there was an issue that if your graphics were to high there was an obvious Input Lag. In my opinion the combat is great a lot better than that of the witcher 2. It does require some skill and tactics as it should though.

The horse can be a little annoying to control, it sometimes slows down and gets stuck in dips but maybe that's like a real horse. :D

Deklore

Bright Spark
Thanks for the response Smoke. I don't think its so much input lag as the animations itself. i.e. as soon as you stop walking, Geralt goes into the "stop walking animation" which consists of taking a couple of steps before he actually stops.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I'll try it tonight when i get home and see fit like it is.

Pretty much just move about constantly swinging my sword. Just incase :D

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hey guys Patch 1.04 is now live

The patch 1.04 for PC is available for download now. Please find the list of changes below:

-Rebinding of all keys is now available after switching on the ‘Unlock Bindings’ option in the Options\Key Bindings submenu.

-Corrects an issue in the dialogue system that might have caused dialogue looping in certain scenes.

-Fixes an issue with incorrect behavior of Wild Hunt warriors after they were affected by the Axii Sign.

-Corrects a bug that caused spontaneous combustion of gas clouds.

-1280 x 720 resolution is now properly displayed as a valid resolution option.

-Fixes boat stuttering in cutscenes.

-Texture rendering quality for the high and ultra presets has been improved.

-Further improvements made in NVIDIA Hairworks performance.

-A few additional gwent cards are now available in the Prologue area.

-Fixes an issue where users with usernames incorporating non-Latin characters were unable to import saves from The Witcher 2.

-Includes a series of overall stability and performance improvements.

-Fixes issues related to alt + tabbing and minimizing the game window.

-Updates the game icon.

-Enlarges the loot pop-up window in the UI.

-Fixes an issue where, in certain circumstances, the comparison window could extend beyond the game borders in the UI.

-Upgrading items included in gear sets no longer destroys rune sockets on said items.

-Introduces small tweaks in the UI for gwent.

-Corrects some missing translations in localized versions.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Not at home to test now with 1.04 but is it now possible to customise controller pad? Or just keyboard and mouse controls?

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
It is controller compatible isn't it?

The game is yes... Played about an hour so far with my 360 pad but I kept accidentally reverting to dark souls attacks using the triggers and bumpers... Would be nice if I could map the attack buttons to the triggers.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hey Deklore,

I tried out Geralt movement last night and its was accurate, stopped right after telling him to, went the directions i told him to, Animations were fine no three step animation trails or anything. Not sure about the controller sorry as mine is out on loan.

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
Loving the game so far.

But I have a slight problem where an update is stuck on 76.1% on the GOG Galaxy launcher.

Any ideas how to fix it?

Fantana

Bronze Level Poster
A few things fellow Witcher enthusiasts should explore for improved graphics:

- On Nvidia Control panel>Manage 3D Settings>Program Settings, one can specifically tweak Witcher 3 graphics. Set AA to between 8x or 16x for best quality. Enable FXAA, and set Anisotropic Filtering, Texture Filtering to desired quality. For me this results in greater improvements than the in game options.

- Also on Nvidia Control panel, on the Global Settings tab check out DSR Factors. Simply put, it renders a game at a higher, more detailed resolution and intelligently shrinks the result back down to the resolution of your monitor to 2K, 3K or 4K-quality graphics on any screen.

Tick all the x (value) options and hit apply. Now in the game>Options>Video>Graphics>Resolution you'll find higher resolution choices enabled. Naturally the higher the resolution choice the more of an impact it has on FPS, but with high end GPU's should run seamlessly up to 3K.

- DSR Smoothness - Basically Nvidia's own AA tool. Experiment with it, see what % suits you.

- Open Task Manager and close the background process NVStream.exe This is Nvidia's shadowplay application and is constantly checking to see if you're recording gameplay. End the process and you should immediately get a few more fps.

Other than that, generally play around with the options available on Nvidia Control Panel Witcher 3 Settings and try to find your sweet spot.

And this is a good read

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...ormance-and-tweaking-guide#config-file-tweaks

If I come up with any more I'll let you know, enjoy.

Last edited: