Witcher 3

Spuff

Expert
How do you install the updates?
I installed the game via my hard copy yesterday and the game says it is 1.02. I can't find any link or way to get 1.03 or 1.04.
I open the GOG thing and I can find a tab where it shows the fixes in 1.03 and 1.04 but there is no link to get them.

Also I 'bought' the free DLC downloader thing in the store and I can't find any way to install that.

Fantana

Bronze Level Poster
How do you install the updates?
I installed the game via my hard copy yesterday and the game says it is 1.02. I can't find any link or way to get 1.03 or 1.04.
I open the GOG thing and I can find a tab where it shows the fixes in 1.03 and 1.04 but there is no link to get them.

Also I 'bought' the free DLC downloader thing in the store and I can't find any way to install that.

Do you have a GOG account ? If you do log in, in your game library there should be The Witcher, click on it and the patch update download links should appear.

Spuff

Expert
I'm all sorted now. I had forgotten about the booklets I'd removed from the pack a few days ago. One of those has the code I needed to enter on the back. GOG doesn't tell you what code you should enter or from where, and doesn't make it clear the code is needed to gain access to the downloads. Lots of goodies awaiting in the downloads.

Last edited:

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
I seemed to have 'lost' one of the extras... The Tamerial goodies or whatever they're called. I started downloading them, but then cleared the list in the bottom left of the GOG Galaxy.

I still can't verify the files. I've replied to the email what GOG sent me.

Fantana

Bronze Level Poster
I seemed to have 'lost' one of the extras... The Tamerial goodies or whatever they're called. I started downloading them, but then cleared the list in the bottom left of the GOG Galaxy.

I still can't verify the files. I've replied to the email what GOG sent me.

They're not really worth the hassle. Very weak armor. You'll easily find tonnes of better stuff.

Spuff

Expert
I've had the game crash on me twice now.
When it crashes I get multi-coloured horizontal lines across the screen :((((((((((

Are you using the latest NVIDIA drivers? When I installed it before I had Witcher it was causing crashes when using Chrome, so I've gone back to the previous (GTA) driver and won't update unless Witcher misbehaves. So if were you I would try reverting to the previous driver, despite the latest being made for Witcher.

Fantana

Bronze Level Poster
Are you using the latest NVIDIA drivers? When I installed it before I had Witcher it was causing crashes when using Chrome, so I've gone back to the previous (GTA) driver and won't update unless Witcher misbehaves. So if were you I would try reverting to the previous driver, despite the latest being made for Witcher.

Go on chrome > Settings - scroll down -> Advanced Settings >Scroll down -> System > disable "hardware acceleration when available". Should solve your problem.

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
Game seems ok now that I went in to the Control Panel and repaired Microsoft .NET Framework 4.

I've noticed that the GPU temp reaches 97%. Could this have something to do with the multi-coloured lines?

Taking me ages to level up. I'm only half way in to Level 4. I'm sure there's a quick way of levelling up?

Fantana

Bronze Level Poster
Game seems ok now that I went in to the Control Panel and repaired Microsoft .NET Framework 4.

I've noticed that the GPU temp reaches 97%. Could this have something to do with the multi-coloured lines?

Taking me ages to level up. I'm only half way in to Level 4. I'm sure there's a quick way of levelling up?

Game is massive. Really massive. In terms of the amount of activity to do. So the level up system is quite fair and appropriate. Do secondary quests based on the suggested levels.

And for GPU temp why not set a custom fan curve.

Fantana

Bronze Level Poster
I'm doing what I can in the side quests.

I always set the fan to 50%. Seems to help.

Better to set a custom fan curve so the fan speed increases with temperature. That way fan speed can go higher if required. Having it set to 50% means it will always be stuck on 50% and won't provide adequate cooling for higher GPU temperature.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Nah I'll just leave it thanks

That temperature is far too hot. If you want that card to last, make the custom fan curve. Use Msi afterburner, its very simple. Even so, with the normal drivers fan profile it should not get that hot. 50% fan is not enough for that card. Setting it manually to 50% is a very bad idea; but of course it is up to you. I have the Windforce R9 290 and on stock fan profile it never gets past 75 degrees on any game/bench, let alone 90; but it is very quiet and stock fan profile puts the fans up to about 70% which is still pretty quiet.

If the game is crashing with those horizontal lines and the pc needs to be restarted that could well be an indicator of a faulty card tbh. My last Radeon card that actually died exhibited these symptoms....got far too hot too quickly, and then would artifact and crash games, and benchmarks. Nvidia cards tend to show slightly different symptoms a lot of the time when they are dying. Normally cant be seen in devices/and have constant driver crashes. It may be worth reading some reviews of that Sapphire card on Amazon, people have had similar things happen, hopefully yours is ok.

If you read some reviews for that card, under Furmark (which stresses cards to the max) it gets to about 82 degrees, so something is up there. Around the temps you are describing it will throttle thermally and crash, and the life expectency will go down rapidly. If you get these temps without capping the fan speed then the card is faulty and should be rma'd. Also if you havent seen it, there is a new AMD beta driver for the Witcher 3, that will help performance for the R9 series. The betas are great, dont be afraid of using them because they are betas.

Spuff

Expert
When I have monitored my overclocked to max GTX 970 the highest it has reached is 77 degrees and the fans are never worked anywhere near maximum. I tried fiddling with fan stuff but that resulted in the either fan being very loud all the time or not working at all, so it was back to the default regime (it seems to know best) and I won't be touching the fans again.
Setting fans to 50% seems a bit unwise, they are able to go faster for a reason, so let them if they need to. Set them free. If 97% means 97 degrees I would be surprised at the continued survival of the GPU (although there may be something I don't know about AMD GPUs). Keeping them at 50% would also mean you don't benefit from electricity savings if there are times they don't need to be at 50%.

Last edited:

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
My GPU temperature is 70-74 degrees, and my GPU fan can reach 97%.

I've downloaded and installed the Beta. How do you determine what GPU driver you have installed?

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
I'm not really sure why this game is such a GPU hog. Yeah it looks very nice, but it doesn't look better than other big games that don't require such heavy GPU usage.

I can get 45fps looking better on GTAV and Metro than I can get 45fps looking on Witcher 3.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
My GPU temperature is 70-74 degrees, and my GPU fan can reach 97%.

I've downloaded and installed the Beta. How do you determine what GPU driver you have installed?

That sounds a lot more like it temps wise! That fan speed is a little on the high side, but all the aftermarket cards have slightly different fan setups. To see what version of driver you have, on AMD you open CCC, and then "information", and then "software". Should say "15.5 beta" or if you have the one for GTA 5 still "15.4 beta". The latest one is specifically for the Witcher 3 and Project Cars, both of which are Nvidia gameworks titles; and took AMD far too long to get drivers out for. Mostly leave the fan set to automatic, the only case when you wouldn't do this is if you set up a custom fan curve in afterburner, which overrides ccc, turns fan control to manual; and uses Afterburners settings. Be aware that this wont work for some games that do not like Direct X interventions and of course wont work for Mantle enabled games such as Battlefield 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition.

I believe some of the performance issues in both Project Cars and The Witcher 3 is due to the heavy use of forced Physx, and tessellation in the Witcher 3 especially, which will also explain the heavy nature of the gpu requirements for Nvidia cards too. There are techniques for toning down this requirement for AMD cards if you create a profile for the Witcher 3 in CCC and manually override tessellation in there, but no fluffy wolf hair! AMD historically simply does not do tessellation as well as Nvidia so there is always going to be a difference here; until the next line of cards.

Imo the hairworks looks fantastic but is far too performance heavy for both manufacturers; and would have been best served out of the game completely in favour of optimising the rest of it to run better..i.e. aiming for 60fps. Also the performance hit on this game for older Kepler based cards on Nvidia (780 etc) compared to Maxwell (970) is something CDProjekt and Nvidia really need to look at; as its not acceptable. People should expect the last generation of cards to run acceptably as well. Interestingly AMD cards arent having this problem, older cards work in line with how you would expect... but hairworks is a definite "cant do" at the moment. In any case, a lovely game. The old Witcher 2 ran poorly for some time, so there may be further patches too. It runs at 60fps constantly now without Ubersampling and everything else on ultra. That is a 2013 game now however!