Insurance quotes?

Jack Guinea

Bright Spark
Ive got my provisional and i can start using it soon, i know its a bit further in the future but im looking at loads of cars and i was wondering if there is a really quick way just to get a estimate on the insurance?

mishra

Rising Star
Register on any of those insurance comparison sites, insert your personal details, car reg plate (if you don't have one, look up reg plate on autotrader/ebay) and it should give you pretty good idea on what you will end up paying. You may want to play with different settings aka get smaller engine, add partner, change excess value, etc... all this stuff affect your premium.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
unlucky, I hate searching for insurance... makes me cry...

check out, moneysupermarket, comparethemarket, go compare, and then all the companies that are not included within the comparison sites, such as direct line, aviva, LV, theres quite a few.

oddly i find it hit and hit miss sometimes you get good deals from a company, then a year later they try and rip you off.

oh, and always buy insurance towards the end of the month, for some reason its often cheaper then...

oh and finally, good luck with your driving lessons...

bigben

Master Poster
When I first started driving (about 2 years ago) I found making my mum a named driver made the price drop significantly.

It's also worth saying you own the car (even if you don't) as when I actually owned my C2 the price increased by about £800 (I guess they realize you don't have a choice).

Don't assume third party is cheaper, my last insurance was fully comp. and quite a lot cheaper than third party.

More tips: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/young-drivers

Good luck!

Jack Guinea

Bright Spark
When I first started driving (about 2 years ago) I found making my mum a named driver made the price drop significantly.

It's also worth saying you own the car (even if you don't) as when I actually owned my C2 the price increased by about £800 (I guess they realize you don't have a choice).

Don't assume third party is cheaper, my last insurance was fully comp. and quite a lot cheaper than third party.

More tips: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/young-drivers

Good luck!
Thanks alot, its really complicated starting off so you've helped me alot, hopefully ill be on the road soon :)

bigben

Master Poster
Glad I could help :)

Just re-read that last post I wrote.

It's also worth saying you own the car (even if you don't)

I meant that for quoting for different cars while deciding on a first car. Like I said it was about 2 years ago so things may have changed, but I think when I was choosing a car I got a price for it and had the box for "do you own it yet" unticked and my quote was about £1600. So I went and bought the car as the insurance was quite a lot cheaper than some of my friends had paid. Went to get it insured the next day and it went up to about £2400.

Calum

moneysupermarket (ive used many and this had always found me the cheapest one)
5000 miles annually
park on driveway
add a parent/s with multiple years of no claims as other drivers (this should bring it down a fair bit)
and go for fully comp (this always cheaper i've found)

hopefully this should get you it a fair bit cheaper.

Androcles

Rising Star
Just be aware that the quote you get today will very likely be completely different to the quote you receive afetr you pass your test and not in the way you expect. Many people think that once you pass the test it will cost less to insure a car, but it's actually the opposite, while your learning you will only drive supervised so your insurance will be lower, once you pass you will be driving with very little experience on your own and thus they bump the insurance prices up.

Jack Guinea

Bright Spark
I was up all night last night comparing different insurance prices and cars and I was just wondering if I add a sub-woofer or new speakers does my insurance go up?

steaky360

To be honest, probably not - but you wouldn't be 'insured' for them if you get what i mean. IE if you put your £x sub and speakers in your car and the car gets written off (and you can't remove the speakers/sub etc. for whatever reason) the insurance company most likely won't take their value into account when offering you a settlement amount for you car.

Of course, some insurers may be different and also some may actually increase your premium because you've added something to the car that is 'non-standard'.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
In most cases it shouldn't go up by much, it just means that if something does happen you're covered for the value of the system whether it be theft or a crash, etc. If you don't declare it on your insurance I believe they can class your insurance as void if it ever came to making a claim as it's a 'modification' so I would strongly suggest doing it.

They might put it up by £20 or something to cover the admin fees. HOWEVER, this is my experience with people around my own age who have been driving for a few years. I have no idea if they look at 18 year olds and assume that having a sub-woofer normally means he's going to have it on full volume being very distracted and not concentrating on his surroundings = more risk of an accident. They might do for brand new drivers :\ Is there no way you can add the modification to a quote online (I've never had to before).

Edit: It seems me and Steaky have conflicting ideas, I was under the impression the insurance might go up slightly as they'll cover him for theft, etc? I guess it depends entirely on the insurer though..

steaky360

I don't know for sure. I think it depends on each insurer individually. I don't think (for example) you can claim off your car insurance for your mobile phone if it happened to be in your glove box when you car was stolen. I think you'd need to claim on your home insurance / mobile insurance.

But I really don't know. Was just my opinion :p.

Jack, get in touch with the insurer and ask them directly :)

bigben

Master Poster
Best to ring the insurance company and check to be safe.
Before you bother with new speakers etc. just try a new stereo, my car used to have awful sound but once I upgraded the stereo it all improved.

Jack Guinea

Bright Spark
Well on gocompare I clicked on the car modifications but there isnt any audio section, the closest to it is dashboard modifications so I clicked that and the insurance went up by £1.3k

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
To be honest you're best leaving any modifications at all off your first car list. Insurance is high enough as it is for the first couple of years and really all you'll give them is ammunition to say you're an irresponsible driver (even though I'm sure you're not). I remember my mate used to have is sub on full whack all the time and it was hard enough being a passenger, let alone driving the thing.

You could always just install a new stereo and some speakers and see how you do without the sub. Speakers + Stereo are subtle enough really to not be noticed for insurance purposes, you bought the car that way remember and assumed it was standard ;)

bigben

Master Poster
You could always just install a new stereo and some speakers and see how you do without the sub. Speakers + Stereo are subtle enough really to not be noticed for insurance purposes, you bought the car that way remember and assumed it was standard ;)

Like I said before, just try new stereo first - I think this is the one I have, it's pretty good, can plug in my iphone and charge it + listen to music from it. Once I put in a decent stereo the standard speakers were good enough for me.

Jack Guinea

Bright Spark
Thanks for your replies guys, ive got a few months till I purchase anything so ill look into it a bit more closer to the time and ill try calling up some of the companies to see what they say. With me I love my music but im not one of these chavvy boy racers blaring it as loud as possible and driving recklessly but i guess because of my age as well companies may expect the worse.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Yes companies will always expect the worst, especially if your choice of car happens to be a Saxo/Fiesta/106/206/Corsa. So pretty much all the cars you were probably looking at :D

If you're struggling to find cheap quotes then your best bet is something like a Polo or Punto.