Insurance quotes?

steaky360

I'm not a fan of the new mini's however if I was to ever get one, I'd get the JCworks version. They are pretty amazing machines.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
oh gutted, sucks being a new driver. :(

Insurance companies are leeches!

I disagree, most my mates should not be allowed on the road but only do so because their parents pay and a lot of them have ended up in bushes. I paid a fortune for my own policy and up to now I've had no problems at all (touch wood). The majority of new drivers are a huge risk and I imagine there'd be a lot more of them on the road if insurance was 'affordable'.

I was only earning £95/week working full time while I was learning to drive so was paying £200/month on lessons and then when I passed it was £200/month for insurance alone, while still contributing slightly to the house bills. It's certainly do-able even if you only have a part-time job, you just need to really budget for it and start small. Just over 2 years later and I pay £800/year for a 2.0 RWD petrol.

steaky360

Too expensive and you just end up with a load of uninsured drivers :(

Fine balance needs to be made here, I agree there are more uninsured drivers due to the high premiums. But I also appreciate that the insurance companies see the young drivers as a higher risk than more experienced drivers.

I'd like to think its more difficult to drive uninsured now due to the anpr systems on many a police car these days but I am aware that it still happens a lot.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
oohh come on guys, lets not fall for the "we have to charge you more because those young and/or uninsured drivers"

they charge us before because they can.and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.

steaky360

oohh come on guys, lets not fall for the "we have to charge you more because those young and/or uninsured drivers"

they charge us before because they can.and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.

Not saying that it's all because of that, but I think its naïve to think that uninsured/high risk drivers (young/points/etc.) have nothing to do with that. They may be cheaper if it wasn't a legal requirement to have one, but if it wasn't a legal requirement to have one we'd be in a worse situation imo.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Not saying that it's all because of that, but I think its naïve to think that uninsured/high risk drivers (young/points/etc.) have nothing to do with that. They may be cheaper if it wasn't a legal requirement to have one, but if it wasn't a legal requirement to have one we'd be in a worse situation imo.

totally agree with you mate, we'd be really fudged without it. I've had to rely on mine this morning, my back window popped along a dual carriageway. Was 75 quid for Autoglass the same day, can't complain really.

steaky360

totally agree with you mate, we'd be really fudged without it. I've had to rely on mine this morning, my back window popped along a dual carriageway. Was 75 quid for Autoglass the same day, can't complain really.

Nah, autoglass are pretty good and reliable, its also good that (at least 'officially') it doesn't affect your premium. Still must have been an event for the window to pop out along the dual carriageway, I assume it didn't come all the way out! That would've been a shock!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Nah, autoglass are pretty good and reliable, its also good that (at least 'officially') it doesn't affect your premium. Still must have been an event for the window to pop out along the dual carriageway, I assume it didn't come all the way out! That would've been a shock!

well, she said it wont effect my no claims. lol wont be happy if it does.

as for the window, I was just driving along about 10-20mph in Monday morning traffic. And bang, hole in the rear window, pulled over and the whole pane had shattered all over the boot and backseat.

The Autoglass guy said it was probably the cold.

piccy%25202.png

Last edited:

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
It's weird I set off in my car this morning and I could hear a really loud cracking noise coming from the back end, I hope it wasn't something similar! You didn't defrost it with warm water or anything did you? Or perhaps there was already a small crack and the ice made it worse... Very odd though, at least you were alright!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
It's weird I set off in my car this morning and I could hear a really loud cracking noise coming from the back end, I hope it wasn't something similar! You didn't defrost it with warm water or anything did you? Or perhaps there was already a small crack and the ice made it worse... Very odd though, at least you were alright!

Nah, I just used the rear heated window thing, I turned it off after though. Gave me a right shock, just glad I didn't have any passengers in the back. I did get a day off though haha

might be worth having a check grimzey, rather be safe than sorry.

bigben

Master Poster
The majority of new drivers are a huge risk and I imagine there'd be a lot more of them on the road if insurance was 'affordable'.

I agree with this, I know at least 10 people who crashed within a year of driving, one of them was fatal, one had a lucky escape with just a broken ankle and lacerated elbow.
On the other hand, I reckon old people are just as (if not more) dangerous. The amount of old people who cause accidents or close shaves is crazy.
well, she said it wont effect my no claims. lol wont be happy if it does.

as for the window, I was just driving along about 10-20mph in Monday morning traffic. And bang, hole in the rear window, pulled over and the whole pane had shattered all over the boot and backseat.

The Autoglass guy said it was probably the cold.

piccy%25202.png

Ouch!

Jack Guinea

Bright Spark
Damn man if i was going along and my windscreen just smashed it would scare the hell out of me. After hours upon hours again of searching i have chosen this:
media (1).jpgmedia.jpg
Ive also done the insurance right this time so it is affordable :)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Nasty one tom, probably the temp change from ice cold to warm caused a small defect in the glass to detonate. Normally happens on the front with a stone chip, which is less dramatic because the front is laminated. Not seen it on the back before but no doubt it can happen. Well its that or someone took out your back windows with a bb gun....