Dying Light

thegreb

Bronze Level Poster
I bought this game the other week and love it! I've put in 33 hours so far. My old laptop barely gets 40 fps on all the lowest settings, but it still looks great. I can't wait until my new laptop arrives, so I can crank the detail up.

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
lo.JPG
lo2.JPG
lo3.JPG
lo4.JPG
lo6.JPG
Love love love this game =) Plays awesome on my year old PC from PCS. 1440p everything cranked up 50fps+, a blast in multiplayer too.

Quote Originally Posted by moosEh
Would you call it worth? I am umming and thinking about getting it?

Oh my 10 yesses. Most fun you'll have this side of GTA V on the PC.

Last edited:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Yahtzee always good for an honest review...he does say he likes it (sort of)

May possibly by nsfw (really not though) and/or SOME language, but nothing too controversial :)

[video]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/10030-Dying-Light-Review[/video]

tfcoulson

Silver Level Poster
Im getting around 10fps with my laptop, dont know if its not changing to the amd card or using the intel one? Ive got an i7 4910qm @ 290ghz, 16gb ram and an amd hd8970. Any one know if theres a problem or if this games just too much? Seems strange if it is, all on lowest settings.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Well, a problem is that its a Nvidia Gameworks title and is terribly optimised for AMD cards. Why they do this I have no idea since AMD gaming evolved games work just fine on Nvidia due to AMDs open door policy regarding the coding; whereas Nvidia do not allow access to the code for AMD. A stupid and selfish policy that just hurts the gamers in general.
If you want to get acceptable performance, moan at the devs for a patch, moan at Nvidia for being absolute idiots about the way they have done this, and turn off all Nvidia specific graphics options. Hopefully a further patch and another AMD driver may help but its pretty much the games problem. I would have thought a further patch will sort this out. As usual they get the game out...then optimise so people can actually play the thing properly. Runs fine on my R9 290 desktop card, but I have heard laptop cards are suffering a bit. Are you on the latest AMD driver? If not, definitely install that.
This is assuming of course that it is using the gpu and not the onboard graphics. 10fps is very, very low. So much so I would think this may be your problem. Shame, as its a great game :(

tfcoulson

Silver Level Poster
Thats what Im thinking that I may be using the onboard graphics because 10fps is way way low. Any way I can check while the game is running? I think ive done it right by .... scratch all that :)
Well after double checking Ive now properly added the game to the switchable graphics (I thought I had but guess not, plus would have thought it would detect it automatically) and Im getting a healthy 60-70fps on the graphics optimised for performance :) Lets get this show on the road :)
Thanks

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Im getting around 10fps with my laptop, dont know if its not changing to the amd card or using the intel one? Ive got an i7 4910qm @ 290ghz, 16gb ram and an amd hd8970. Any one know if theres a problem or if this games just too much? Seems strange if it is, all on lowest settings.

Have you tried changing the settings?

The view distance makes a huge difference, so turn that down

blakeyxd

Even on nvidia cards its badly optimized. I have got the game play on 4k and compared to some other games the graghics are no where near the same standard yet fps is much lower. Main issue is the game is CPU limited massively, soon as a core hits 100% the game locks up, on a i7-5960x this is a massive issue, unless oc'd. The game does use all cores but one core is used for 90% of the game, and as the Ghz is fairly low on this card because of the 8 cores its locks when opening some doors and it really annoys me. The issue is majority of games are distancing themselves from PC and just being made as ports, its about time they start making for pcs then porting to consoles; logically it makes much more sense, if you can get it right for pc's it is much easier to hit the lower end machines.

However due to them directly targeting the console market they design the games to certain architectures which makes its ports to PC suffer massively because it has been designed to work in a certain way. Its not the developers faults its the publishers like Activision, they look where the big bucks is then force the developers to solely develop on the money making platforms, and thus they also get set tougher deadlines meaning they skip optimisation and just throttle to the architecture.