HELP: Applying thermal compound.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
So I've removed my cooler and I'm now in the process of reapplying thermal paste (Antec formula 7).

I have been following the instructions on Arctic Silver's website. It says for copper heatpipe coolers you should spread paste into all the gaps, which I think I've done.

See pic:

2jcxy4g.jpg

I've used as little as possible and spread it thinly over the base of the cooler. It's quite wide though and certainly wider then the CPU plate? It's not going to end up all over the internals is it?

Secondly, do I then need to apply a tiny amount to the CPU? Like a grain of rice?

Thanks for help.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hmmm, i have never seen or heard of that method before.. But I havent had those types of coolers before. - All mine have been flat.

I'd check youtube or something mate.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Well it seemed a little overkill to me, so I wiped the excess off with a lens wipe cloth and just left it kinda in the gaps, then I did the standard grain of rice on the CPU. It's remounted now, but currently my PC is in bits on the floor while I redo some cable management.

paul1224

In my rather limited experience you would normally put a little bit of the paste on the cooler and the CPU metal cap and then spread it evenly over it and remove any excess. The reasoning is that the paste will fill in any microscopic valleys.

You then would normally apply a middle dot (sometimes a vertical or horizontal line depending on the brand of CPU) on the CPU metal cap and this will then spread it evenly over the CPU and allow the best contact with the heatsink and the best bond.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Thanks Paul.

I put spread paste all over the bottom of the cooler and made sure to fill in all the gaps, then I wiped away everywhere that didn't have a gap (not completely).

Then I applied a thin line across the middle of the CPU cap, placed the cooler on top and twisted gently from side to side. (According to the Arctic website this should spread it out evenly and naturally. Then I just screwed it all back into place and attached the fans.

Given that my PC hasn't exploded yet or anything, I think I've done it right. It is running slightly hotter than before though, and keeps fluxuating between 30-40 degrees C. I think this is because it takes some time to 'burn in' so to speak.

Yamikotai

Expert
I'd personally have put a teency bit more on, but that's just personal preference really. Yours is fine (it's as fine an art as some people would have you believe).

paul1224

Thanks Paul.

I put spread paste all over the bottom of the cooler and made sure to fill in all the gaps, then I wiped away everywhere that didn't have a gap (not completely).

Then I applied a thin line across the middle of the CPU cap, placed the cooler on top and twisted gently from side to side. (According to the Arctic website this should spread it out evenly and naturally. Then I just screwed it all back into place and attached the fans.

Given that my PC hasn't exploded yet or anything, I think I've done it right. It is running slightly hotter than before though, and keeps fluxuating between 30-40 degrees C. I think this is because it takes some time to 'burn in' so to speak.

That sounds fine to me, as you say it does take a while for the best results so hopefully after running your PC for a few days it will start to offer better results with more consistency.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Day 2.

CPU is currently working around 3-5%, 2.8ghz, (virtually completely idle) and temps are settling at around 35C.

Both CPU fans around 585RPM.
Exhaust around 600RPM.
Bottom fan not spinning.
Also the two fans at the front (a two setting fan controller switch) are on their lowest. No idea what speed.
The front door is OPEN.

Front door CLOSED I get a very slight rise in temp, about 1-2 degrees C.

I'm quite impressed and I'm expecting the results to keep getting better over the next few days.

If I put all the fans on full speed whilst idle then I don't get anything above 35C. (Door closed)
Door open, and I get 30-34C. (Currently reading 32c)

I might do some gaming for an hour and see how it fares.

Last edited:

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Played BF3 for around an hour today on ultra settings. Checked temps as soon as I closed and it was around 50c. Pretty pleased.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Well they were around 35. They seem to be a little worse off today though. Currently running around 40 degrees C on idle, fans standard speed, door closed and fan switch on the low setting.

I'm very tempted to reapply the paste again after reading around the interweb - I think I could do it better.

paul1224

Well they were around 35. They seem to be a little worse off today though. Currently running around 40 degrees C on idle, fans standard speed, door closed and fan switch on the low setting.

I'm very tempted to reapply the paste again after reading around the interweb - I think I could do it better.

I don't think those temps are anything to worry about and the usual guide is that you need to give it quite a few hours (20-300 depending on the paste you use) to really get a reliable reading of how well it has worked.

I would personally leave it and just monitor it from time to time over the next few days/weeks and then decide if re-applying is necessary.