Laptop Repaste

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hi Guys, looking for advise on Repasting my Laptop,

I open the thing up about once a month and give it a clean out but to clean the dust from between the two GPU heat sinks i have to lift one of them off a but.

When you do theres a white pad between the metal work and the chips that pulls away and i assume that this is the Thermal Paste.

Just wandered if i was to repaste do i just take the heat sink off completely, remove existing paste and then apply the new stuff where the old was? Is it that easy?

The machine is still running great at the moment i was just considering for future or if i was to upgrade the GPU myself at some point. I dont see the point unless that stuff needs to be renewed after so long.

Any advise appreciated.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
If you attempt to do it please take pictures, I am also interested on step by step instructions on how to repaste the GPU.

Yamikotai

Expert
Just wandered if i was to repaste do i just take the heat sink off completely, remove existing paste and then apply the new stuff where the old was? Is it that easy?
Yes. The stock paste is a pad kinda thing for fast appliance to save time and money.

If you attempt to do it please take pictures, I am also interested on step by step instructions on how to repaste the GPU.
I'll do you pics or a video whenever I next have thermal paste.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
get some Artic thermal paste cleaner. Smells like oranges! - Clicky

I use Noctua Thermal paste, great stuff, doesn't require a "break in time" so, great temps straight away. clicky

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level

Will do, might do it next month, maybe video it if it goes smoothly.

Yes. The stock paste is a pad kinda thing for fast appliance to save time and money.

By stock do you mean the cheap stuff? i did have the ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND in my order when i bought it, should it look different?

keynes

Multiverse Poster

I noticed that the mango body whip from the body shop has the same consistency........................

A video will be great, I may have some spare thermal paste I am happy to provide.
doesn't require a "break in time"
Errrr... what do you mean by break in time?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Errrr... what do you mean by break in time?

it works straight away, most pastes require a period of time to work effectively.

"Top-performance right from the start
NT-H1 reaches its full performance extremely fast and doesn't require a longer "burn-in" time."

oh and

"Not electrically conductive, non-corroding
NT-H1 possesses a very low dielectric constant and a high dielectric strength. Therefore, there's no danger of short-circuits even in case of direct contact with components or conducting paths. Fully compatible with all materials commonly employed in PC environments, NT-H1 is suited for use with aluminium and copper coolers."

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=13&lng=en

Last edited:

Yamikotai

Expert
You should, they also tested chocolate and lipstick ^.^

Edit: Or I could just post the chart

imageview.php

Chocolate didn't do very well.