General fan query for Optimus models

antpep

Hi guys,

I have been musing for a couple of weeks now about getting a laptop from here, either the Optimus IV or V, but one thing that concerns me is general fan noise. I'll be using the laptop mainly for work using applications like Unity3D and would favour a quiet experience over something distracting. SO my question is, what are peoples' general fan noise experiences with these two models when doing things other than playing graphically intensive games, for example launching programs like Unity or Photoshop? I know the Optimus V has a specific fan related issue but I am talking about aside from this. Let's say I take the laptop to a Caffe Nero or Costa or an independent cafe for a 2-3 hour work session. Is the fan going to get in the way of my sense of zen?

I am starting to think that rather than go for a powerful gaming laptop that enables me to work and play, I should maybe go towards a quieter Ultrabook and forget about gaming.

sirbb

I have an Optimus IV 17.3" and I never notice the fan even when the computer is working to capacity doing, for instance, highly sensitive audio editing. Indeed the temperatures of the CPU (i7-3840) or the GPU rarely reach a level requiring the fan to turn on. The few occasions it does turn on, it is very much "in the background". Having read the horror stories connected to the Optimus V, I am very glad I didn't wait for one and although they seem to share the same name, I would say the Optimus IV is worlds apart, at least in respect to the fan and cooling system.

Akerific

Silver Level Poster
Well the fan issue at the moment is it randomly comes on, even when not on anything it can come on Full blast, but they are sending out fixes for this to make the fan normal within a week or two so i'd say wait it out and see how people get on with it i will let you know
how the fix goes as soon as i get it

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
I use mine for gaming, or the girlfriend does and to be fair mine is very mild. Sure it kicks up the speed but its hardly noticeable on mine.