Desktop Graphics Cards

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Hello folks,

This is a question that gets asked time and time again so I thought I'd post this up for clarification.

***Removed due to inconsistencies***

If you wish to use a different manufacturer of graphics card, we suggest buying that in yourself and fitting it to the order upon receipt as we will not be able to warrant that card against failure.

Last edited:

salg04086

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for the information.

Just for clarification , why does PCS only stock the above unless there are stock issues, why not Asus , or Gigabyte, MSI, why not sell them yourselves and give us more choice, with warranty, these cards are known to provide excellent graphics, have great RMA in the UK and are known widely in the industry to be great products.

If Price is a an issue I am sure some customers would be prepared to pay slightly more for the choice...

Regards

Salg04086

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
PCs have 27 different GPUs available for sale at the moment, adding on 3 other brands would mean over 100 items to keep in stock. That's a fair increase. Given that on the whole they would all perform within a small percentage of each other anyway I cant see the need.

Also would it really benefit the average consumer, the cards have such different features it would be confusing to many. Overclocked, super clocked, aftermarket coolers etc. If you really know about that stuff it's really not an issue to research and pick the best one for you and fit it when the PC comes.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
PCs have 27 different GPUs available for sale at the moment, adding on 3 other brands would mean over 100 items to keep in stock. That's a fair increase. Given that on the whole they would all perform within a small percentage of each other anyway I cant see the need.

Also would it really benefit the average consumer, the cards have such different features it would be confusing to many. Overclocked, super clocked, aftermarket coolers etc. If you really know about that stuff it's really not an issue to research and pick the best one for you and fit it when the PC comes.

I completely agree, too much choice may add to confusion but I think they should at least consider to have those GPUs on request, the reason why I continue buying from PCS is due to their good customer care and technical support. Getting a gpu from a third party just brings more hassle for the consumer when requesting an RMA or technical support. I know other retailers either stock overclocked GPUs or allows you to have them on request, I think it is just a way for catering for different type of consumers.

tom_gr7

Life Serving

That does make sense, but I think it would be be good if PCS could offer, for example the standard Palit GTX 780, the Jetstream 780 and the Super Jetstream. Its fair enough saying that experienced/knowledgeable users can buy elsewhere and install themselves. But from a business perspective that customer is taking his/her £500 elsewhere, possibly to a direct competitor and/or a online retailers such as Amazon and Ebuyer.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
That does make sense, but I think it would be be good if PCS could offer, for example the standard Palit GTX 780, the Jetstream 780 and the Super Jetstream. .

A sound comment, however it could end up in delays being caused while we source a specific branded card.

salg04086

Silver Level Poster
This could be made clear at time of purchase...if the customer is willing to wait its great option...also PCS get credit for providing the choice and make some additional money that would have gone elsewhere for the graphics card. Its also peace of mind for the customer in terms of warranty being covered. Maybe this is also a great way to source the complete range of ROG motherboards under the same terms and conditions.

I had my Powercolor HD 7950 replaced twice because they were faulty twice at home and then pc had to be sent back to PCS for replacement. again a graphics card problem!!! I have not seen great reviews of powercolor on the internet either.
Plait seems to have a good reputation with their hardware...that's why I feel PCS maybe need to look at other hardware companies...

I am very happy with the rest of the PC I think my system is great and am impressed with my beast of a system and have recommended PCS to friends

Regards

Salg04086

D1craig

Enthusiast
I have been considering getting a new gpu for a while now. ATM I am looking at the gtx 770. I was wondering is it still possible to get the stock Titan cooler product from you?

Don't like fans on my gpu lol don't think I do anything that needs them. MMO's mostly no FPS's.

steaky360

I have been considering getting a new gpu for a while now. ATM I am looking at the gtx 770. I was wondering is it still possible to get the stock Titan cooler product from you?

Don't like fans on my gpu lol don't think I do anything that needs them. MMO's mostly no FPS's.

All Titans are sold with the stock cooler - if the Titan is available, its got the stock cooler :) regardless of manufacturer

EDIT:

Misread your post sorry. Palit's 770 has a non-reference cooler unfortunately.
b1968.jpg

keynes

Multiverse Poster

You mean getting the titan cooler on the gtx 770?

D1craig

Enthusiast
Yes I mean like it is advertised on the nvidia website lol.
Not fair that have sold out so quick and are now only after markets :(

Hi, newbie question here. Apologies, if this is the wrong place to ask or answered before. If so just point me in the right direction.

I normally build my own PC's (every five years or so), and buy components from a respected online shop (I won't mention names). My last build was 2011, and the world has Changed. I decided to go down the custom build route, and spec'd similar systems from two respected/well known sites. I was advised by a friend to check out PCS.

So spec'd up an overclocked X299 setup with a 1080 ti (DREAM MACHINE), and was about to click buy, when I saw the Graphics card was described as a 'Nvidia GTX 1080 ti' and thought, it that's the founders edition, then I am not interested.

Decided to check out the forum (glad, I did) and found this thread. So sorry about the rambling, here is my question...

My card of choice was the Palit 1080 ti Super Jetstream. I pleased to see that PCS use (at the time of posting) Palit, I was wondering if the current manufacturer is still Palit (great) and what the current card is fitted ie Jetstream/Super Jetstream.

All I really need to know is that under load the card will be operating below 40db. Can't see PCS fitting anything that would be hot and noisy, but its the deal breaker for me. A response from PCS or someone who has bought a 1080 ti system recently would be gratefully received.

Super Jetstream

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The model PCS use will vary, and they may not be able to guarantee what you would get in the build since their stock changes. So if they tell you it's Zotac Amp! they're currently using, they might be using Jetstreams or Super Jetstreams by the time they build yours - or vice versa.

If you have your sights set on a specific GPU model I would normally recommend buying the PC without a GPU and sourcing and installing your own. PCS's warranty is fine with you doing this (as long as you don't break anything when installing the GPU, natch).

Why the X299, what will you be using it for out of interest?

Why the X299, what will you be using it for out of interest?

I started off with a spec based on an Asus P10S WS M/B with an I7700K stuck in it. My prime need is a bit of grunt plus a fast M2 1tb drive, and a fastish graphic card (1080 is fine). And I want it to be quiet and cool (ish). I then spec'd up the same build based on a X299 Aus TUF board, and the price difference as not as much as I had thought. If I am still undecided, I'll post a new thread, rather than hijacking this sticky...

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
What has the most grunt depends quite a bit of the software being used. If you start a new topic with your budget and what you'll be using the PC for I'm sure people can suggest some ways to squeeze the best deal out of the configurators.

Jayjello

i myself havent bought a prebuilt system for quite a while, but recently ive helped friend take apart his PCS machine to sell the parts off individually. I was surprised to find out what PCS had used for his 1070.

Initially it looked like a Founders Edition Zotac 1070, which you know, isnt great due to a non UK warranty and the poor cooling of all the FE cards, but still isnt that surprising to find in a prebuild.

However the shroud was entirely black, and made of cheap feeling plastic, which isnt usual for a FE. A bit of searching finally finds an obscure reference to it as Zotacs Reference Edition 1070, (seemingly only brought to market individually in malaysia if internet search is to be trusted) and intentionally designed for people looking to replace the stock cooler immediately and water cool, hence the even worse than FE cooling, and the advertising its reference board layouts waterblock compatibility as its main sales point.

Why on earth did PCS choose this card to put in its systems? In its sold as state its clearly one of, if not in fact the most handicapped 1070 that its possible to put in a machine. I have to believe that the savings were too irresistable to pass up on, but come on PCS. This is underhand, and speaks to a scant disregard to giving customers value for money.

My friend is now planning to build his next machine with me rather than buy a prebuild, having now seen 'how the sausage is made' when doing the latter.

Any justification from PCS for sourcing an obscure and bargain basement part to meet the requirement of 'Nvidia gtx 1070' on the invoice?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
i myself havent bought a prebuilt system for quite a while, but recently ive helped friend take apart his PCS machine to sell the parts off individually. I was surprised to find out what PCS had used for his 1070.

Initially it looked like a Founders Edition Zotac 1070, which you know, isnt great due to a non UK warranty and the poor cooling of all the FE cards, but still isnt that surprising to find in a prebuild. Was the system not performing as intended? Any signs of overhearing?

However the shroud was entirely black, and made of cheap feeling plastic, which isnt usual for a FE. A bit of searching finally finds an obscure reference to it as Zotacs Reference Edition 1070, (seemingly only brought to market individually in malaysia if internet search is to be trusted) and intentionally designed for people looking to replace the stock cooler immediately and water cool, hence the even worse than FE cooling, and the advertising its reference board layouts waterblock compatibility as its main sales point.

Why on earth did PCS choose this card to put in its systems? In its sold as state its clearly one of, if not in fact the most handicapped 1070 that its possible to put in a machine. I have to believe that the savings were too irresistable to pass up on, but come on PCS. This is underhand, and speaks to a scant disregard to giving customers value for money.

My friend is now planning to build his next machine with me rather than buy a prebuild, having now seen 'how the sausage is made' when doing the latter.

Any justification from PCS for sourcing an obscure and bargain basement part to meet the requirement of 'Nvidia gtx 1070' on the invoice?

If you want an official response you should contact PCS directly as this is not an official channel of communication. I had 2 desktops from PCS and in both instances I got the reference models for each gpu. I wasn't aware there were different types of founder editions but I think when first release those are usually the ones available.

Jayjello

If you want an official response you should contact PCS directly as this is not an official channel of communication. I had 2 desktops from PCS and in both instances I got the reference models for each gpu. I wasn't aware there were different types of founder editions but I think when first release those are usually the ones available.

My intention was less to get a response from PCS ( i can predict their reply, sourcing parts difficult, various suppliers, etc) more to warn people that for the £400 odd that PCS charges for a 1070 at the moment you might well get something that you didnt even know existed, sitting firmly at the bottom of the pile. I know id have been pretty annoyed if it had been me buying it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster

you might well get something that you didnt even know existed

It's a 1070. It either functions, or if it doesn't (i.e. throttles below its base clocks) it's a faulty unit/ problem with the build and needs to be taken up with PCS as a warranty issue. I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to put up with a GPU that couldn't maintain its base clocks.

It's very valid of you to point out the range of GPUs that can be used.

As is often said on the forums, if people want a specific model then they should get a system without one and fit their own.

I wouldn't buy a PCS system with a GPU because even an FE, vs an OEM blower cooler, is still a blower cooler, and I'd only want a GPU with fans that span down on idle.

PCS have also used Palit Jetstreams, Palit Duals (maybe Dual OC?), FEs, and Zotac Amps. So if they reply with a comment about various suppliers etc, I expect that this actually has a lot to do with it.

isnt great due to a non UK warranty and the poor cooling of all the FE cards,
Zotac's warranty is better than plenty of others. It's worth asking PCS whether they can assist with the warranty with Zotac even after their own parts cover has ended.

and intentionally designed for people looking to replace the stock cooler immediately and water cool,
While people may have concluded that this is the best use for one on the basis of having a less efficient cooler than the FE (if it does indeed, it's not like the FE has a great cooler), the fact that it's called "OEM" suggests it is designed intentionally for system builders to use.

Last edited:

Jayjello

It's a 1070. It either functions, or if it doesn't.

Well that's not quite true though is it? Its not so binary, especially when overclocking of higher end graphics cards is so established a concept/expectation that most professional reviews will include it in their review tests of them. Look im not disputing its a 1070. I'm saying for whatever reason PCS used possibly the worst 1070 available. That to me doesn't suggest they are a company doing their best to source quality parts and make sure their machines are made of quality components.

If they describe themselves as 'manufacturer of cheap custom PCs', then fine, but its 'manufacturer of performance custom computers'. A reference edition plastic cooler 1070 is not a performance part, its a cheap part. That why i'm unimpressed, and why my friend who paid good money for it was surprised as well. He felt he'd been assured of something better than 'cheapest that meets the spec, by buying from PCS. He was wrong, and people might like to know that this is a possibility for them too.