Anybody had a Fiesta ST?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I know not all of you are petrol heads but I've been wrong before. In short, I discovered the other day that it wouldn't actually be too difficult to insure myself on a pokey hot hatch. I'm not looking to set the world on fire or get myself killed but I do want a step up from my dull 1.2 Punto. I looked at Cupra r's, Civic Type R's and Fiesta ST's and basically because the Fiesta is the only one without the turbo it's a bit cheaper to insure and probably a bit more sensible for my needs.

Just wondered if anybody on here had owned one before? Just wanted to get an idea for the general consensus of them (the Fiesta ST forums are quite blatantly biased). I appreciate they look a bit chavvy but anything can look chavvy if somebody wants it to so yea, would you/have you owned one?

(Picture for info of the shape I'm looking at! Unfortunately can't afford a new one. Also wouldn't necessarily be that colour or have the stripes!)

fordfiestars_01.jpg

rickne

Master Poster
When you cant afford a Focus ;)

Nice cars bro. Ive always driven Ford and never have issues. Gone are the days of the old rustbuckets from dagenham. Best thing you can do is join a members club and take some notes.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I had one for about 6 months, it was SSOOOOO much fun to drive too, it handle great and throws you back into your seat. A great car, only reason i got rid of it was because i moved in with the GF at the time and she lived on a farm and the poor thing just couldn't handle the road so changed her for an A3.

Only gripe i had with her and other fords are that the body work on some models just doesn't seem to fit together perfectly on the left wind there was a wee gap but on the right it was flush.

If the standard isn't fast enough for you its very easy to remap with the Bluefin and get a few extra BHP out of it. Because its not got a turbo its about half the price to remap.

End of the story is though its a fun car, easy to maintain, parts are cheap and insurance is reasonable.

rickne

Master Poster
Sound about right was about £580 to get the A3 done.

Cheaper thank getting a turbo :), trust me i just had to :(

Id take the extra power and fuel economy though. Bluefin will have bigger improvements for non sports tuned cars. For example Id get far more noticeable improvement on my smax than a Focus ST. The Fez is different because its only a 2 litre.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
This is what I want to hear boys! And I could look at a Focus ST170 but I think they look a bit of a mess. Perhaps that's my 20 year old brain talking!

Only small gripe I have is I've heard they really need a sixth gear and don't handle long journeys that well, not too big of an issue for me but I'm hoping it's not as bad as people make it sound. Surely can't be as bad as a 1.2 Punto can it?!

What colour did you have smoke? I change my mind every hour at the moment. Love performance blue but then do I prefer it with the white stripe or not. Or do I go for Frozen white maybe with a blue side stripe. Or do I just go for a black one?! I really can't make my mind up.

rickne

Master Poster
The stripes look dog to me Grimezy but thats personal opinion. The top stripes that is. Side stripes are more subtle.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Yea I hate the top stripes don't worry! I've seen the one I posted with the white stripes and white wheels and that looks pretty nice. Standard blue without the stripes is nice but perhaps a bit too ordinary, I don't want people to think I'm driving a normal fiesta do I?! Or do I...

There are so many more things to think about though... Like will a blue fiesta suit being parked behind a black audi a4 on the driveway? :D

Plus some of the colour schemes are weird interior/exterior wise. Like Blue with a blue interior makes sense. Black with half red interior makes sense. But Black with a blue interior just looks ridiculous! I don't know why anybody would want that... Or having white with a blue interior, perhaps I need to see it in person but if I were designed a car I'd stick a black interior in a white car...

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
The one in the background is what I mean with the blue car with white wheels. Think it suits it quite well.

index.php

bigben

Master Poster
The one in the background is what I mean with the blue car with white wheels. Think it suits it quite well.

index.php

can't see the picture.

White looks pretty good as long as you keep it clean.
I don't know if it's true but I was told when I got my first car that black makes insurance more expensive because it is more of a boy racer colour... Although the impression I get is that you are a bit of a boy racer so black may suit you?

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Yeah i had the Blue one it had all the decals removed so i got the white ones at the bottom of the doors along the sides put on. Like the one on the picture but it had a break in it with ST written in white. I prefer the Blue but everyone has a blue on up here, i aint seen any white ones.

You could get the whole car vinal wrapped to any colour you want at a cost i guess.

Your right about the 6th gear when your cursing at 70ish it does sound like shes reving a bit high at times. But that what a stereo is for right :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
When you cant afford a Focus ;)

Nice cars bro. Ive always driven Ford and never have issues. Gone are the days of the old rustbuckets from dagenham. Best thing you can do is join a members club and take some notes.

Whats wrong with Dagenham huh?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Sorry I think it's because it was on a forum you need to register, can you see it now?

h25a.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

And I am not a boy racer at all thank you very much! I commute down country lanes to work each day and I travel on the motorway every 2-3 weeks to visit friends. I barely venture outside after sort of 7pm and I very rarely go for a drive for the sake of driving! Although I am hoping an ST may change that.

And I'd heard similar rumours about black cars being more expensive although they don't ask you on the insurance websites (unless they automatically pluck it from the registration plate). I'll have to check that!

bigben

Master Poster
haha get a cheaper hobby.
Blue car with white tires is quite nice. I have the same on my C2.
I prefer the black one though.

Tallpaulos

Enthusiast
This is what I want to hear boys! And I could look at a Focus ST170 but I think they look a bit of a mess. Perhaps that's my 20 year old brain talking!

Only small gripe I have is I've heard they really need a sixth gear and don't handle long journeys that well, not too big of an issue for me but I'm hoping it's not as bad as people make it sound. Surely can't be as bad as a 1.2 Punto can it?!

What colour did you have smoke? I change my mind every hour at the moment. Love performance blue but then do I prefer it with the white stripe or not. Or do I go for Frozen white maybe with a blue side stripe. Or do I just go for a black one?! I really can't make my mind up.

Very late to the convo but oi! Don't have a go at the ST170!

I have driven a gunmetal grey ST170 for 5 or 6 years now - I still really enjoy driving it. Only gripe for me is that it is underpowered vs the other hot-hatches. And it hasn't been particularly reliable but they are sooo cheap now though that they're perfect for someone not wanting to pay much out. Would have got rid ages ago but I have moved house twice, had two kids, and bought the Mrs 2 cars.....

I am due for an upgrade soon though. Focus RS would be nice but waaaay too pricey. Was going to get the newer ST but that's a little aged now. It'd be easier if I didn't need to be able to fit a damned pram in the boot. I'd much rather get something exotic - my younger bro had an RX7, was awesome.

maxbor

Bronze Level Poster
I bought an pre-registered Fiesta ST-2 in frozen white last year. Had it for a week before getting the MP215 upgrade and short shift kit from Mountune. It is incredibly fun to drive and insurance for me is £340 despite having 2 speeding convictions in the last 5 years (1 resulting in a 1 month ban, oops) and I wrote off my last motorcycle in a 40 mph accident just over a year ago (banger racing in the area had left oil all over the roads when they carted their scrap heaps back to whatever hole they live in). The white is hard to keep clean and the ride is very hard but I challenge anyone to find a car that is more fun for the money and as easy drive, cheap to run and as reliable as the fiesta ST!

It does look chavvy though. My mum opened the door, took one look at the red LEDs lighting the sills, said "Nope" and walked away when I showed it to her, haha!