Kids stealing dust caps!!!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
not the crime of the century, but its damn annoying.

Noticed one of mine (cheap plastic) missing last night, thought nothing of it. Approached the car this morning all four missing! looked up the street another four cars with caps missing!

kids man, rarrr

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
All the little year 7 & 8s used to take the dustcaps off all the bikes in the bike shed as well, its bloody annoying and I feel your pain. These were mostly cheap plastic ones as well, although seem people thought it was a good idea to spend extra money on "cool" ones

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
What, the little tiny ickle plastic covers for where you put the air into tyres?

I could spend the next 3 hours of my day thinking of uses for them and I don't think i'd get any further than "miniature tabletop game version of Doctor Who"...

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
What, the little tiny ickle plastic covers for where you put the air into tyres?

I could spend the next 3 hours of my day thinking of uses for them and I don't think i'd get any further than "miniature tabletop game version of Doctor Who"...

Well their purpose is to stop dirt getting into the valve and blocking it

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I remember when I was like 7 my cousin and I nicked some of an old mans car and put them in the grit-salt bin... I don't think I slept that night because I felt so guilty. I assumed it would automatically deflate his tires and he'd be stranded.. (My cousin was a bad influence -.-)

This is my reasoning behind not wanting to upgrade from my Punto, I'd be devastated if something happened to my car if it was actually nice. I remember I was at my ex's like 6 months ago and I was just about to jump on the motorway to come home and my right hand side wing mirror had been nicked. No glass smashed, no other sign of damage, just the actual mirror gone... That was a fun 90 mile journey...

tom_gr7

Life Serving
My moneys on its young teenagers stealing them for street rep/cred or something.

I'm glad my car isn't my hobby, its just a tool to me and this is a mere annoyance.

Trouble is, if you take any kind of action against the perpetrators, in turn your car/house/garden gnomes end up a target. Simply to make you bite!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
just ordered 100 for 1.50 on Ebay. I can understand why kids would steal fancy metal ones, but toms el cheapo plastic ones, is beyond me.

steaky360

just ordered 100 for 1.50 on Ebay. I can understand why kids would steal fancy metal ones, but toms el cheapo plastic ones, is beyond me.

So now you're selling 96 for 1.49 on Ebay?

Seems legit... :shifty:

You could use duct tape? Seems to sort most things :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
As most are black, why not get a bit nasty black stuff on them? Ideally something semi permanent that will stain the lil beggars hand for a while :D

(Of course the best option would be to araldite the caps, as in ON the cap, not make them stick to the tyre :D , but that wont stay sticky long enough...hmm...)

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I used to nick dust caps.... right little gremlin I was when I was younger. Pride of the collection was the dust caps of an F1 car that was on display.... NO REGRETS!

The modern day equivalent of scrumping for apples I guess... Haha

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Guys the problem putting stuff on them is when Tom comes to pump his tyres up at the petrol station he's gonna have a bad time.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Heres the solution to the problem

tweel-airless-tire-2.jpg

AIRLESS TYRES

[video=youtube;Pja6vKnEV4E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pja6vKnEV4E[/video]

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Airless tyres? What a great idea! :D

@ Grimze...no pain no gain etc etc :D

and nathan...

The modern day equivalent of scrumping for apples I guess... Haha

What do you mean modern day? Since when did scrumpin' go out of fashion? No? Just me? Ahh... :D

steaky360

Scrumping for apples to make Cider = a win win situation. Don't try to go scrumping in a supermarket however... they don't like it.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I got an update on this. I spoke to a few neighbors and apparently it a two small girls. God knows why they would want cheap plastic dust caps.