GPU fan speed drops to 30% and can't be manually changed, please help!

Hi bought my desktop from PCS a while ago, I've had all these components for at least a year, no problems with the GPU till now. This has happened three times in one day now then after a few restarts or a bit of time it sometimes works.

I'm using msi afterburner with a custom fan profile so I know how the fan should work. I started playing splinter cell blacklist the other day and the I could hear the fan spin up and then slow down over and over ever second or so. I checked afterburner and it showed the GPU at 80c and the fan speed had been trying to set at like 60% but always dropped back to 30% a second later.

I tried to manually apply a set fan speed of 70% and it speeds up then just drops and stays at 30% but the fan speed bar is still set to 70. Default auto profile has the same effects.

What could be the problem? Anyone experienced this before? I've tried with 320.49 drivers and 326.something beta drivers. Same results.

specs:
- i7 2600K
- GTX 670 FTW 2gb (320.49 drivers, been using for months no problems)
- 8gb ram
- win 7 pro 64-bit
- 750w corsair tx psu

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hmm, i try gaming on another game, such as bf3 its well optimized, so if the fans are fine in bf3, its probably driver issues or something like that.

Alternatively, try evga precision. Its pretty similar just a different layout, it may work better for you.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
If evga doesn't work then try nvidia inspector. Load the program and then click show overclocking, the fan speed will be in the centre you can set it manually from there.

Are the temperatures getting really high, like 100'C, that may be the only reason the fan is coming on because it is an automatic safety feature that overrides everything else when the card reaches 100'C to go to 100% fan speed. Sadly I have had Evga PX bug out on me a couple of times and set it to manual but its easily fixed in my case.

I've tried different games, but regardless it happens even at desktop if i try and change it. I've also tried different fan programs, doesn't seem software related. I'm gonna try and roll back the drivers to the previous whql release and see if it fixes it.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hmm, i'd probably remove the card from the system and give it a good clean/de dust. Then give PCS a bell mate.

Hey guys just though I'd let you know I figured out what it was. Luckily before I RMA'd it. I have a corsair H100i cpu cooler and with it I use a software called Corsair Link and it has it's own monitoring and controlling of the GPU, usually it used to sit back and let afterburner take priority but recently it apparently started overriding it.

When the gpu kept re-setting to lowest speed I ended the corsair link process and bang my GPU fan acted as normal and adheres to the set profile. Thanks for the help guys!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Hey guys just though I'd let you know I figured out what it was. Luckily before I RMA'd it. I have a corsair H100i cpu cooler and with it I use a software called Corsair Link and it has it's own monitoring and controlling of the GPU, usually it used to sit back and let afterburner take priority but recently it apparently started overriding it.

When the gpu kept re-setting to lowest speed I ended the corsair link process and bang my GPU fan acted as normal and adheres to the set profile. Thanks for the help guys!

oh excellent mate, good job.

does that mean you cant use the corsair link at all then?