Could you make sure this is ok please

gaaron

Silver Level Poster
Hi everyone,
I have been updating/pondering etc for approx 9mths & am now about to give birth ;) I think that maybe a freudian slip as I am a woman under the disguise of Elvis' twin middle name!!
I must thank everyone on this forum for all your help and patience & not forgetting a thankyou to pcs! I phoned 3 times today, just to iron out little bits.
I only do photo/vid/music editing (besides scrolling for decent info). I will be buying the new Corel PSPX6 & video editing-Nero will have to wait ;). The lowest specs (I assume that's what it is) for video is 1gb VRAM...so in the future it will certainly require more. As the Optimus V hasn't the capability of changing the GPU I have gone for the Skyfire 3. I have also requested a diff wifi card so that I can enable WiDi if needed.
Here goes:
Chassis & Display
SkyFire Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M - 3.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
6x BLURAY WRITER, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 2 in 1 Memory Card Reader (SD, MMC)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6235 (300Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
SkyFire Series 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Keyboard Language
BACKLIT MSI UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 3.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Intel Anti-Theft Technology
FREE 90 Day Intel Anti-Theft Trial - Prevent Data Access upon Theft
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 11 to 13 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,316.00 including VAT and delivery.

I do think this will 'future proof' for a few years & then I can upgrade the components as desired if I require - photo/vid updates.

Thanks again to all & to the politics man John Maynard Keynes ...I'm just jesting re the 1st names (my OU didn't go to waste) ;)

However, if there are any glaring mistakes please feel free to inform me! I will be ordering later tonight (10/09). My widwife tells me not to push yet ;)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
It is a nice spec, you may want to consider at least silver warranty for £5. It covers shipping cost in case you need to send your system back to PCS from a month to a year.
As the Optimus V hasn't the capability of changing the GPU I have gone for the Skyfire 3.
Just keep in mind that replacing the GPU is going to be expensive, the next one up after the GTX 770m is the GTX 780m.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Looks good, i would however up the Thermal Paste to Arctic Paste to keep your components cooler and as long as your in the UK i would get the Silver Warranty as it includes 1 years return, just in case.

gaaron

Silver Level Poster
thx for your quick replies! I poss will upgrade (so to spk) to the Vortex iv - it looks sleeker. It has a lesser vid cam, but I am fine with that! Would I need artic paste if I don't do games, & only occasionally have photo/vid/music editing on at once? However, the laptop will be on my lap! Keynes, what sort of price for a gpu upgrade? I've sort of given myself space with 3gb gpu... I don't think I'll be recording on 4k?

Silver warranty & Artic noted x

Last edited:

Gornlostor

I personally am going for the Skyfire III 17.3" because the price increase for the Vortex IV is quite large considering that you are paying it for mainly the asthetics. If I were you I would stick with the Skyfire and spend that money upgrading your parts. But that is just my opinion :)

gaaron

Silver Level Poster
I personally am going for the Skyfire III 17.3" because the price increase for the Vortex IV is quite large considering that you are paying it for mainly the asthetics. If I were you I would stick with the Skyfire and spend that money upgrading your parts. But that is just my opinion :)
thankyou Gornlostor, & the only other advantage with Vortex IV is the capability of 7:1 sound - which I know I will not need via my laptop. The weight was a tad of an issue (due to being on my lap), but when reading the specs correctly ; Skyfire weight was given without battery & Vortex included it! So, it equalled out. With the configs there wasn't much between them, considering the price anyway!
I am so glad I found this site a few months ago. I knew I could get a desktop built locally, but they wouldn't do a laptop. Shops (nationwide ones) are total rubbish!

gaaron

Silver Level Poster
Final!

For some reason the price doesn't appear when copying!
I've now added silver (mid range) & artic cooling...
Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M - 3.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
6x BLURAY WRITER, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6235 (300Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Cable
1 x UK Power Lead & 230W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 8 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Intel Anti-Theft Technology
FREE 90 Day Intel Anti-Theft Trial - Prevent Data Access upon Theft
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time

gaaron

Silver Level Poster
I am now in labour! And as a baby is for the long term - I have ordered vortex iv 17"; i74700;16gbRAM;3gbCPU;120gbSSD;750gb 7200rpm;mmm, updgraded the wifi thingy to 6235; added silver £5 and upgraded to Artic (this means I will have to have the heating on ha ha). I think I've covered it all now. Thanks everyone! I'll see you on arrival! No idea what I'm gonna name it! After 9 mths of gingerbread;icecream sandwich;jelly bean;Sandy;Ivy and now Haswell!!! I will let you know. Thanks peeps, it's been a good journey :) is Iris peeping up somewhere?

Hey! put your pos names forward! No prize, other than you get to name my laptop! x

Last edited:

gaaron

Silver Level Poster
Wait.... What? Vortex IV :) How much are you spending?

Keynes!!! I'm spending quite a bit - less than the 'review', as I don't require 'killer' or 4gb cpu. Please forgive me..... I looked into the new applications I will be getting & the video app (programme) said 1gb vram at the least. So, Optimus cpu was 2gb...., which you are unable to change. I need this laptop to be fully capable for my apps & consequent updates to be able to cope! I have ordered i7 4700; 16gb RAM (ram maybe less important to gamers); 3gb cpu; 120gb SSD; 750gb 7200rpm hd; a wireless card that enables WiDi (N6235)... Artic, altho' my knees may become cold; silver warranty. Price £13740 or sort of?
ps sorry about slow response - I wasn't notified! But, I have been on the forum & reading, just didn't come across your post!

Last edited:

gaaron

Silver Level Poster
ps: specs include 6 x Blu ray writer. thx Keynes (my political man ha ha). I do understand all the info you gave, which was brill!! I am aware this spec is expensive - but stuff on the high st for the price? I have learned a great deal on this forum & with research (some were unreliable), have come to a conclusion for my needs & ideas of future requirements. Hey, I will be in awe when I receive it, albeit my knees may not! I'll prob have to put it on one of those trays with a bean bag! If I wasn't so lazy, I could go upstairs to my computer room ;). I go there for finalisation of my stuff. Cheers.

Last edited: