"power supply surge detected" pc shuts down while playing game

after receiving the pc in the post today i installed saints row 4. after playing for about 20-30 minutes, the computer instantly shuts itself down and after a couple seconds restarts itself. it shows a message on boot up saying this:

"Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit"

i got the CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES psu, 402w being the max required power. i'm gonna ring pcs tomorrow, but if anyone can shed some light on this right now, it would be appreciated.

UPDATE: okay, after searching the internet for quite some time, i decided to turn off anti-surge protection in the BIOS. this had come recommended as a fix in a variety of different threads + asus support also suggest this if the software is giving you problems like i'm experiencing. i've been playing saints row 4 for about an hour and a half now, no issues whatsoever, this solution seems to have worked. hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

Last edited:

steaky360

I can't ... but I have seen a few threads with this issue occurring, if you do get in touch with PCS would you please post the response you get on here so we can direct others to it if they are having similar problems?

:) Sorry I cant be of more help.

PokerFace

Banned
ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit"............................

.................... i decided to turn off anti-surge protection in the BIOS. this had come recommended as a fix in a variety of different threads + asus support also suggest this if the software is giving you problems.

Seems like strange advice by Asus, suggesting you turn off one of their programs that is supposed to help protect your system :confused:

That's like Norton saying to turn off anti-virus because you keep getting virus warnings.

Yamikotai

Expert
Yeah but surges are much much less of an issue in the UK than they are in other markets, the US particularly.

T_Pryce

Hi i had the same problem this is what customer service prompted me to do ever since i've done it no problems.!

I was prompted to disable the Anti surge protection And was told the PSU will still protect against it. To do this when booting up your computer tap delete to go into the BIOS Settings, or access them how you would do normally, Go to advanced mode, then monitor and go to the bottom and diable the anti surge protection.

Obviously this solution was based on my Bios and computer settings it might be different for a different set up!

Hope i helped!