IOS 7 released today 18/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Four hours my phone sat there last night trying to download it. I suppose I'll have to try again tonight.

rickne

Master Poster
ITs borked my missus's Ipad and Iphone 4s. Imessage and facetime dont work and Whatsapp doesnt work correctly either. and thats third party. there is some kind of registration issue with Itunes. Id hold off upgrading for now.

Yamikotai

Expert
Yeah, there's been a lot of problems with it. Though the actual update is a big step in the right direction IMO, with the flatter UI and less pointless skeumorphic objects on screen wasting space and looking like poo. It no longer looks like a Fischer Price toy, yay :D

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Am I the only person who thinks they've taken a leaf out of Windows Phone with regards to UI? Also the "control panel" - Android has been doing that for years :/

Last edited:

Everon

Enthusiast
I tried updating at around 18:30 and mine said "11 hours to complete" so I cancelled it and waited until around midnight. Then it completed in around 8 minutes, guess the servers were swamped earlier in the evening.

Everything is running just fine on my Iphone 5. Whatsapp and Imessage are perfect and facetime had an update from the appstore. Btw there is a new Itunes out that prolly fixes some of the issues i guess.

Jay.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
When I tried to update yesterday it said "59hrs" until completion haha. But then I left it and it did it in around an hour - which was pretty much straight afteer it was released.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Am I the only person who thinks they've taken a leaf out of Windows Phone with regards to UI? Also the "control panel" - Android has been doing that for years :/

Just to clarify what I mean:

Apple have removed edges from their buttons (they're not square anymore, you just touch the writing) - Windows phone have been doing that 'clean' look for ages, complete with smooth transitions/animations.

Android also had the controller widget for YONKS too - right from when I had my HTC Touch HD years ago.

So have Apple really been innovative - or have they just taken what other companies have been doing for years.....

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Apple...Technological Innovators from 1977 to 2001 :)

(Wait, I may have made that awful joke before...)

That said, from the bits I have read (and what you guys have said) it seems that Apple now just copy/paste stuff from other companies or do things that aren't exactly new.

But, alas, the media and idiots will go mad over this wondrous new and revolutionary bit of software...all the while Windows Mobile could release a bit of software that actually cures the common cold and the media would still either ignore its release, or brush it off as gimmicky/unadventurous :(

(Not that I am a bitter Windows phone owner or anything...)

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Apple...Technological Innovators from 1977 to 2001 :)

(Wait, I may have made that awful joke before...)

That said, from the bits I have read (and what you guys have said) it seems that Apple now just copy/paste stuff from other companies or do things that aren't exactly new.

But, alas, the media and idiots will go mad over this wondrous new and revolutionary bit of software...all the while Windows Mobile could release a bit of software that actually cures the common cold and the media would still either ignore its release, or brush it off as gimmicky/unadventurous :(

(Not that I am a bitter Windows phone owner or anything...)

Don't worry about it, I'll be getting a Windows Phone next :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Don't worry about it, I'll be getting a Windows Phone next :)

Don't get a Windows Phone now, its hopeless. Microsoft are useless. They are so slow at updating and there are basic features that the others have had for years. Its a nice OS, but quite slow with its very long animations to give it a smoother feel, not ideal for the fast or more technical user. There is barely any customization compared to android even without root or unlocking. Nokia on the other hand are great and so is their software, its such a shame that Microsoft have purchased the company because by the looks of it, Nokia were prototyping Android phones. Hopefully Newkia who are ex Nokia employees will come to the rescue and release an awesome android with great hardware and the great Nokia software.

I have a Lumia 920 and I will be upgrading to the Nexus 5 which should be releasing pretty soon at a good price too, all I'm hoping for is that it has a good camera thats one thing WP wins hands down, it has the most professional camera suite and Nokia have some awesome apps to do some cool stuff and the new Nokia camera SDK allows for some brilliant photos.

Also I got a look at a few of my friends phones today and every 'new' feature I could have shown them in WP or Android. The multitasking has been taken straight from WP, live wallpaper from android. And just about any other feature could be done in Android 2 years ago

Last edited:

bigben

Master Poster
I didn't have any issue with the update until today.
Tried to connect my phone into my stereo which has the old style connection (4s) and the update has stopped the compatibility! I used to be able to put it on and it would work fine but now it charges but won't play :(
Really fed up.

mishra

Rising Star
I didn't have any issue with the update until today.
Tried to connect my phone into my stereo which has the old style connection (4s) and the update has stopped the compatibility! I used to be able to put it on and it would work fine but now it charges but won't play :(
Really fed up.
It kinda sound like the previous drama with iOS6 update and phones stopped talking to in-car satnavs, stereos, etc ... To resolve this people used to:

1. Get latest version of iTunes on their PC's/mac's
2. Make sure your phone is synced/paired/registered with iTunes
2. Download a new song from iTunes to your mobile phone (I know how stupid this sound - yet it appear to fix this in the past)
3. That should be it...

Is it going to fix your issue? Honestly don't know, but it's worth trying.
*** Obviously old rule with music in your iTunes to be the same as in your phone still applies. Make sure you don't wipe your phone clean (songs), if your iTunes doesn't hold the same songs anymore. Well you know the drill.

Orendil

Another random suggestion that may or may not help you bigben with your stereo connection problem... When I upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 7 I had terrible (10 second) keyboard lag in every app. I have no idea why this fixed it, but I went to Settings -> Reset -> Reset All Settings. Now, this clears out all of your saved wifi networks, but didn't clear the email accounts etc on my phone. After this, my keyboard worked perfectly fine again.

I guess doing that clears out some junk that's been in the cache since I got my phone (running iOS5 back then?). If you're lucky, I guess this might help you too!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Another random suggestion that may or may not help you bigben with your stereo connection problem... When I upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 7 I had terrible (10 second) keyboard lag in every app. I have no idea why this fixed it, but I went to Settings -> Reset -> Reset All Settings. Now, this clears out all of your saved wifi networks, but didn't clear the email accounts etc on my phone. After this, my keyboard worked perfectly fine again.

I guess doing that clears out some junk that's been in the cache since I got my phone (running iOS5 back then?). If you're lucky, I guess this might help you too!

Some of the cache files probably hadn't been optimized for iOS7 during the upgrade, so it was causing constant lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.