Any Strava Cyclists?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I decided to fork out and buy an entry-level road bike to fill my life with at least a little bit of exercise. I've had it since Saturday and have been out twice so far and have really enjoyed it, only covering fairly short distances at a 'steady' speed but I feel it shouldn't be too long before I'm doing 20+ mile rides. One of my main motivations is using the Strava app on my phone and desktop. It tracks your route really effectively (I ride down rural roads and have no problems with GPS drop-outs yet. It maps speed, elevation, sector times against other users, etc and it also lets you add friends and see each others rides and comment on them.

Just wondered if anybody used Strava already or just didn't know it existed and wanted to give it a go. It's very good and it's free! Or if you've been thinking about taking up cycling but are struggling to find motivation I definitely find it helps by being able to track my progress.

Would love to add a few more people and get a bit of a community going. Exercise is always better with encouragement!

Rakk

The Awesome
Whilst I haven't used Strava I do use MyTracks (also free) which does very similar stuff (including an export to Google maps), but doesn't have the ability to add friends, though given the impending winter I'm thinking it won't get much use for a while :)
But yeah, exercise feels better if you can use geekyness whilst at it :)

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I did have you in mind when I was writing this Rakk, couldn't remember what you used when you showed me your route.

It's not Winter yet, no excuses ;)

kruppsy

Master
Same as Rakk, MyTracks but not Strava. I mainly go XC/Trail/DH riding on my mountain bike with a bit of dirt jump occasionally on my bmx. Im not very good at the latter, don't get huge air like you see on tv and stuff, but love the feeling of flying thro the air even for that brief moment. Bit of an adrenaline junkie, I find road cycling a bit, well, dull. I'll check that app out though, see if it works at my local trail centre (heavy tree cover) when Im next down.

Rakk

The Awesome
I think GPS drop-outs are more likely to be a phone thing rather than actual app you use for recording.
For instance my GPS will drop out occassionally or completely from time to time, however if I'm with friends and they're using the same apps, theirs don't drop out at all.

I've come to the conclusion that the GPS on my phone is in fact pretty crap, one time turning it off and on again fixed it :)

kruppsy

Master
Sorry yeah, I didnt word that too well. I meant my phone not working under the heavy tree cover, Im probably underestimating my phone, I've never tried recording when Im down there that's all, mainly record when Im doing fairly long exposed rides in the Peaks and stuff. Unfortunately the trail centre is about all I have time for these days and because its not particulary strenuous/long, never bothered getting the phone going.

Last edited:

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Sweet krup :) I have probably done things backwards with the whole road cycling thing. 20 year olds should probably be getting grubby on a dirt track doing a 24 hour endurance event somewhere with their mates, not tootling along at a leisurely pace on slicks!

Planning on commuting into work though and all of my work colleagues are road cyclists so I suppose I just got moulded into that! I do hate hills though. And living in Malvern it's impossible to find a flat route so it's not all tootling around :(

kruppsy

Master
Me and the lads down in Shropshire a year or so ago. Taking a breather during a particularly nasty uphill road section, making our way to a 10min long flat out downhill run. Wish I had more time...weekends aren't long enough!

[Pic moved to my profile]

Come over to the dark side Grimez, its loads more fun I tells ya!....and you don't have to worry about cars, just trees and rocks and stuff, they hurt a lot less :shifty:

Last edited:

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Come over to the dark side Grimez, its loads more fun I tells ya!....and you don't have to worry about cars, just trees and rocks and stuff, they hurt a lot less :shifty:

I don't mind getting hurt, I feel my employer may be more sympathetic if I break an arm because a car was being a douche rather than me just being an idiot and smacking into a tree! :D

I'll probably consider it depending on how my road cycling goes. I need to get my cardio back to a decent level and then I can look into off-roading. The problem around here is too many hills but they're all on roads so a road bike just makes sense at the moment!

I was going to bring the whole "I don't fancy banging my nuts on a mountain bike" but I notice your frame is already sort of accounting for that possibility with its lowness... :L

Rakk

The Awesome
Gotta agree, off road is much nicer due to no cars or anything like that, though it is a lot more tiring (and yes I'm well over 20!), admittedly I don't do jumping or anything too dangerous - I think I would break, and I would just get laughed at by my boss if I injure myself.
Though cycling on quiet country roads is very nice too (and you can normally find somewhere to have lunch en route :))

kruppsy

Master
I was going to bring the whole "I don't fancy banging my nuts on a mountain bike" but I notice your frame is already sort of accounting for that possibility with its lowness... :L

I've never cracked my balls, even on different frames. Head, back, hip, shoulders, elbows & knees is a different story! If you don't fall off you aren't trying hard enough that's the way I look at it! I haven't broken anything so far so that's the main thing, I have noticeably calmed down since turning 30 though, a bit slower, take less risks. You're in your prime for it mate at 20, no fear!

Last edited:

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I've never cracked my balls, even on different frames. Head, back, hip, shoulders, elbows & knees is a different story! If you don't fall off you aren't trying hard enough that's the way I look at it! I haven't broken anything so far so that's the main thing, I have noticeably calmed down since turning 30 though, a bit slower, take less risks. You're in your prime for it mate at 20, no fear!

Aha I wish! Nowhere near in my prime :( had nasty glandular fever/post viral fatigue during college (3-4 years ago now) and still haven't fully bounced back fitness/energy-wise. Learning to drive 2 years ago just gave me more excuse not to exercise! I was still playing football twice a week but then moved jobs so had to stop one of the nights and then the other night was a Leisure leagues 5-a-side which I didn't really enjoy so packed it in..

So really not been doing much in terms of general fitness lately and unfortunately I don't bounce back the day after like most 20 year olds :( I'm hoping all this cycling malarky will change that a bit though and get my energy levels back on track!

bigben

Master Poster
What bike did you get?
I used to go on 30 mile + rides at least once a week with my Brothers and Dad but then one of my Brothers developed a problem with his hip and the rest of us lost all of our motivation :(
2 Highlights of my cycling, setting off a 40mph speed camera and overtaking a learner driver on the way to work..