Round about rules and being followed

D1craig

Enthusiast
I would have been livid!
They really should make it a requirement. You get minors in your test if you don't indicate. That said, my work is off a roundabout and the amount of people that indicate either left or right when they are going straight is probably more than the people that don't indicate at all.

when you come off a roundabout you turn left so if you needed to indicate that would be the correct way to do it.

i cant believe its not a requirement to indicate... thats just silly :( it is in the US lol and they have all kinds of daft rules.

bigben

Master Poster
when you come off a roundabout you turn left so if you needed to indicate that would be the correct way to do it.

It's a 4 way roundabout with my work and a housing estate on opposite sides. People indicate to say they are either going into work or housing estate when actually they are going straight. They shouldn't indicate left until they have passed the exit for my work.

steaky360

I actually thought it was illegal (or at least 'not allowed') to make misleading signals? ie indicate left and then going right. There's also the thing about going round a roundabout more than three times being illegal (but that could be just wrong).

Androcles

Rising Star
I actually thought it was illegal (or at least 'not allowed') to make misleading signals? ie indicate left and then going right. There's also the thing about going round a roundabout more than three times being illegal (but that could be just wrong).

Almost nothing you do in a car is illegal. For something to be illegal it has to be a criminal act, the road traffic act comes under civil law and not criminal law, thus it can be unlawful but not illegal, I truly believe that if they moved the road traffic act into the realms of criminal law and added the possibility of imprisonment for offences there would be a lot less idiots on the road ;)

Seriously though, it's not technically a breach of the RTA to signal falsely, however because it could cause an accident it can be charged with dangerous driving (which is the only part of the RTA that falls under criminal law), not indicating is not the same as using the wrong signal and isn't an offence apparently (some of this may have changed since the last time I checked, it's been a very long time since I've needed to) and the onus is on other drivers to make sure their path of travel is clear and safe.

That said the "correct" procedure for roundabouts as far as I know is to always signal right until you reach the point where you are in between the last exit you're passing and the exit you wish to use, then you indicate left, unless you are going straight ahead in which case you do not need to signal right but you should still signal left before exiting.

bigben

Master Poster
That said the "correct" procedure for roundabouts as far as I know is to always signal right until you reach the point where you are in between the last exit you're passing and the exit you wish to use, then you indicate left, unless you are going straight ahead in which case you do not need to signal right but you should still signal left before exiting.

This is what I was taught (in 2012)