Vortex IV owners, lend me your ears - I need to talk to you about fans

Hi all,

I've had my Vortex IV for about a month now and it's been a rocky start - various formats have been required due to the wrong image being installed when it was sent out....and then 8.1 didn't like the Intel drivers etc etc. Generally, it's been a bit of a sod.

BUT NOW! Now we seem to be cooking on gas, which is good, I like this.

Apart from one thing, the fan...it's on all the time, in the background. It's annoying, I've never had a laptop like this, I was trying to get away from fan noise which I got from the desktop (I'm spoiled by my MacBook Pro at work I think). I'm curious to see if it is just me or this is a common feature for everyone who has one of these?

To give an idea of what I'm talking about, it's just a constant drone in the background, it ramps up when it's working hard and if you press Fn+1 you really get the fans on fullbore and it sounds nothing like that so at least I know the fans aren't running at full pelt, I was just expecting them to be fairly idle, especially as it is sitting on a Zalman NC3500 cooling pad.

Thanks in advance,

Goose

keynes

Multiverse Poster
My vortex is almost silent when browsing the net or watching a movie. I never attempted to upgrade to Windows 8 or 8.1 to avoid driver issues as you experienced but I had to request Windoes 7 drivers since the laptop came with only Windows 8 drivers.The fans to get loud when gaming (as expected) but since I use a headset it is something that doesn't really bother me. The only issue I have is that when I close a game I need to restart the laptop to stop the noise in the fans.

My vortex is almost silent when browsing the net or watching a movie. I never attempted to upgrade to Windows 8 or 8.1 to avoid driver issues as you experienced but I had to request Windoes 7 drivers since the laptop came with only Windows 8 drivers.The fans to get loud when gaming (as expected) but since I use a headset it is something that doesn't really bother me. The only issue I have is that when I close a game I need to restart the laptop to stop the noise in the fans.

Thanks for your reply Keynes,

From what you've said, would it be fair to say that your laptop is passively cooled until active cooling is required, or is the fan on low straight from start up?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Thanks for your reply Keynes,

From what you've said, would it be fair to say that your laptop is passively cooled until active cooling is required, or is the fan on low straight from start up?

The fans are on but not very noisy at least not for me. The laptop cooler makes more noise. It is noticeable noisy when I am running a game.

The fans are on but not very noisy at least not for me. The laptop cooler makes more noise. It is noticeable noisy when I am running a game.

Hmmm, sounds like it's just the way that it is then...bit of a shame. I have to say, this unit doesn't feel very premium, but then something has got to give I guess, you get what you pay for.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hmmm, sounds like it's just the way that it is then...bit of a shame. I have to say, this unit doesn't feel very premium, but then something has got to give I guess, you get what you pay for.

I believe it has 2 fans, to be fair it has a dedicated gpu so I would have expect some noise. My mate has an Asus Rog laptop and the noise levels are similar. I find it find when iddle to be honest, the only noise I can hear right now is from the laptop cooler.

That's good to know dude - like you said, it's big old thing with monster spec, it's not going to be silent! I've got the 8970 in my chassis so it's a fairly warm chip from what I've read.