Need a new car...

tom_gr7

Life Serving
So,

I think my car (1.2 seat ibiza) finally kicked the bucket last night. Been having frequent problems with the cylinders and other engine issues that I aint got a clue about. I would like to keep it running, although paying for repairs all the time when the car is worth less than 1k is false economy. It also now sounds like a spitfire.... lol

So, I may as well get a new that i don't need to repair all the sodding time. (same issue twice this year)

I'm after a saloon or estate, not fancying another hatchback.

Any suggestions for what model/brand to go for?

thanks in advance.

kruppsy

Master
I tend to stick to Ford and Vauxhall, fairly solid and cheap parts if something does give. Lots will have had an experience to the contrary though I bet, I guess that goes for any car. :)

Astra Estate as a starter for ten :)

How much are you looking to spend anyways?

Last edited:

Deklore

Bright Spark
Yeah it would depend on your budget. are you planning on buying a brand new car or 2nd hand? Some eastern makes offer good warranties and are pretty reliable (KIA offer a 7 year warranty).

Consider the engine type and size not for speed or power but for emissions as that would impact on the amount you pay on your road tax. Also when you are looking at the cost of your road tax, older cars can be more expensive in this regard than newer ones.

steaky360

I'd agree with all of the above comments really. If you're going for a 'new' car then the branding matters less I'd say as many of the manufacturers are offering great deals and warranties (as Deklore suggested) on new cars. If you're going for an older car, it might be worth considering staying with a brand of car you know your local garage deals in (if you 'know them).

I'd recommend an estate over a saloon car, but that's just because its all I've had (I've never owned a saloon). But I currently have an Astra hatchback and have no complaints (except I want more powar!) :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
looking a maximum of 5k, buying from a family member who repairs up damaged cars. (I think they tend to be sold via auction, relatively cheap too)

I can't afford a brand new car im afraid, want to avoid finance deals too.

So far I'm considering vectra or vectra estate, mondeo, or perhaps a vw passat. However, it depends entirely on what said family member can get hold of, how much damage is done to said car, repair costs etc etc.

Deklore

Bright Spark
I'd recommend an estate over a saloon car
Thats my thoughs too if you are only considering one or the other. Estate definately more versitile.

Not sure if this is still the case or not, but VWs although are renouned for their better build quality and keep their value better, generally have higher running costs. e.g. Servicing etc.

Also do you clock up alot of milage? if so then maybe consider a diesel. If its just lots of short runs to the shops etc, then petrol would be better.

For around £5k, id say youd be looking at cars between 4-6yrs old for those makes. Obviously if you are looking for a better brand (BMW or Audi) you could still get one of those, but they'd be more like 7-10yrs old to fint into your price range

Have you considered people carriers? You could get a nice Zafira or Meriva. Theyre not too bad, are pretty spacious inside but not as long as estates.

kruppsy

Master
So far I'm considering vectra or vectra estate, mondeo, or perhaps a vw passat..

Any of those would be good. Driven a Mondeo in the past as a company car it was ok, good motorway grinder. Im considering branching away from my general rule on my next one and getting a VW Touran (family car). I think if you can afford it, VW's are pretty strong, servicing is slightly higher than Ford and Vaux i believe though.

Do you have to pay higher insurance if they're CAT '*' damaged?

Last edited:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Dacia...

...though the Duster (closest thing I could see to an estate) is a tad over your 5k budget...even though it's a Dacia... :D

tom_gr7

Life Serving
@deklore

hmmm, I wasn't aware of he higher serving costs, I plan on having the new car serviced yearly so that is certainly something to consider.

As for millage, yes looking around 10k per year made up of motorways and short journey's. Therefore probably best to go for a petrol, I was told diesels don't like shorter journey's?

yeah probably aiming for around 4-6 year old, although depends what my uncle can get hold of. The Missus got a 2009 1.6 Astra hatchback with 30k on the clock for 3k earlier in the year.

As for a family car, lol I can't imagine myself driving a family car.... just yet... ;)

@Kruppsy

I don't think its any higher, although insurance is a total rip off anyway. Doesnt it go off your postcode and how "secure" the car is?

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Postcode definitely factors a lot into it these days. We did a comparison of my brother's Vauxhall at his postcodes in Beeston, Leeds, and ours in rural Cornwall. It was shocking what the difference was :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Dacia...

...though the Duster (closest thing I could see to an estate) is a tad over your 5k budget...even though it's a Dacia... :D

Dacia Duster hmmm, yeah I Kinda like that...

Checks reviews ****

edit - looked at a few reviews don't seem very favorable.

Last edited:

Deklore

Bright Spark
hmmm, I wasn't aware of he higher serving costs, I plan on having the new car serviced yearly so that is certainly something to consider.
Ive definately heard that in the past, but not sure if it still stands today though. I do know that VWs hold their resale value better than fords or vauxhalls though.

As for millage, yes looking around 10k per year made up of motorways and short journey's. Therefore probably best to go for a petrol, I was told diesels don't like shorter journey's?
Yeah, diesels going back to about 5yrs (i think) have DPFs fitted to them (diesel partical filters). These DPFs dont like lots of short stop/start journeys. If you did that on a diesel with a DPF then the warning light would come on due to a build up of dust/particles/whatever after a week or so, which meant you would have to run the car over 2k revs for about 15-20mins to clear it. Then if you didnt clear it when you were supposed to, you could end up doing expensive damage. Obviously this negates the fuel efficiency of a diesel if your needing to do this often.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Yeah, diesels going back to about 5yrs (i think) have DPFs fitted to them (diesel partical filters). These DPFs dont like lots of short stop/start journeys. If you did that on a diesel with a DPF then the warning light would come on due to a build up of dust/particles/whatever after a week or so, which meant you would have to run the car over 2k revs for about 15-20mins to clear it. Then if you didnt clear it when you were supposed to, you could end up doing expensive damage. Obviously this negates the fuel efficiency of a diesel if your needing to do this often.

oh i see... learn something new everyday :)

looking towards a mondeo, vectra or passat so far.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
well i got my car back on the road. Needed another Ignition Coil pack. So hopefully the car will keep going till i get a replacement.

bigben

Master Poster
Yeah, public transport is pretty much a waste of time anywhere but London. When I was at college the bus was costing me £16 a week and I had to get a lift with Dad to his work as there are so few bus stops where I live, when I passed my driving test I was driving to 6th form, and ferrying the mrs about etc. and I would get about a week of driving from a £20 top up.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Yeah, public transport is pretty much a waste of time anywhere but London. When I was at college the bus was costing me £16 a week and I had to get a lift with Dad to his work as there are so few bus stops where I live, when I passed my driving test I was driving to 6th form, and ferrying the mrs about etc. and I would get about a week of driving from a £20 top up.

yeah its awful in the North East. A few times I've had to get the bus to uni. Had to get up earlier to get to the bus station, Then the bus takes over an hour and a half for what would be a 30-40minute drive. Followed by a 15minute sprint to get into uni lectures for 9am. Then to repeat at 4/5pm eventually getting home for 6/7.

They want more people to use public transport, but it costs a fortune and takes considerably longer. Why would anyone choose that over a car, I have no idea.

bigben

Master Poster
They want more people to use public transport, but it costs a fortune and takes considerably longer. Why would anyone choose that over a car, I have no idea.

Ikr.

What you really need is a nice Mercedes sprinter - fuel efficient, comfortable, will last ages (our old one had 300k miles on the clock), plenty of room in the back to put your golf clubs - what more could you need?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Ikr.

What you really need is a nice Mercedes sprinter - fuel efficient, comfortable, will last ages (our old one had 300k miles on the clock), plenty of room in the back to put your golf clubs - what more could you need?

They're not that fuel efficient! Our lads have them and we just sold an 06 that was barely getting 20mpg. We replaced them with new ones and even they only get 30mpg on a run :D

Glad to hear your cars sorted for now Tom. Perhaps keep your eye out for a new car just in case? I'd recommend something like a Focus Estate, Mondeo, Mazda 6 or if you decide to throw away all practicality and focus on pure driving sensation, definitely an MX-5.