Gemini Tablet Review

Hi guys,

I had a Gemini tablet delivered 10 days ago and seeing as there are no reviews about it I thought I'd take this opportunity to share my opinions.

Firstly, I needed a tablet/laptop hybrid for work purposes: I have a desktop replacement laptop (Vortex) which is 2 years old and an amazing laptop however is slightly on the large/bulky/heavy side - especially the power pack. I do a lot of travel with work so need something I can put in my work satchel and not in it's own separate carry case (less baggage and weight issues with flights). I looked at other tablets on the market and decided to go with a Windows OS system - especially as I use Office a heck of a lot. In the end my choice was between the Gemini and a Microsoft Surface Pro 2. Ultimately it came down to money - I wanted a system with at least 8 GB RAM and at least a 250 GB hard drive and the Surface Pro 2 equivilent starts at around £1150 by the time you purchase a keyboard. That to me isn't good value for money as by the time I up-specced the Gemini it came to £800 odd and that includes the keyboard. Bearing in mind the Gemini is used as a supplement to the Vortex, not as it's replacement, I just couldnt justify spending £500-odd more on the brand name.

So, what of the tablet itself? Well, I blooming love it! Does exactly what I need.

One of the problems I find when purchasing from PCS is that you cannot see the item before purchasing it - and so obviously have no idea as to weight and more importantly its aesthetics. I think it looks great! I've sat in meetings with it and everyone, even those with apple gadgets, comment on how good it looks. It is light although not as light as an iPad but then it wouldn't be as the Gemini is more powerful and has more technology crammed in. It is light enough to lie in bed with and read books from the Kindle app without my arms hurting.

I went with the i5 3337U processor, and even though it isn't as powerful as the i7 3480QM I have in my Vortex, it is still very good and very responsive. I went with 8 GB RAM which is more than adequate for what I need, and the 256 GB Plextor SSD (only because the 250GB Intel was out of stock and I needed the tablet rapidly so couldn't wait for it to be back in stock). 256GB isn't huge but is large enough for me to have all my documents on it as well as music and photos.

The screen has a very high resolution and images are bright and crisp. The touch screen facility is pretty good - not "excellent" as I cannot use a blunt pen as a stylus which means I cannot annotate files as if I were annotating a printed document with a pen - this isn't a huge issue though and I can live with it as annotations can be typed using Adobe Reader.

Windows 8.1 is very easy to use, and doesn't need a huge amount of reeducation if you are used to previous Windows OS.

I use SyncToy to sync files and folders between my Gemini and Vortex so I always have a backed up and up to date copy of all documents.

As a system to supplement my Vortex it's fantastic and highly recommend it to anyone. The only downsides with it are the keyboard (the LED's for caps, scroll and number lock are so feint they are very hard to see) and the thing at the back which helps keep the Gemini upright (sorry I cannot remember it's name) is study, however as it is a thin thing down the middle the Gemini cannot be used on my lap.

This is an amazing piece of kit for it's price and to be honest if it had a slightly larger capacity SSD and a more powerful processor I don't think I would ever use my Vortex again.

I give this 9/10 and strongly encourage you to buy it if you are looking for a Microsoft based tablet (and before you ask - NO I DO NOT WORK FOR PCS!)

If anyone wants any more info please do post back and I'll be sure to reply.

Vips

Reactions: PCS

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Ah just what I've been waiting for. Someone who actually has one of these. I'm looking to get one of these as I'm getting made redundant in the next few weeks and looking to start a business. For that business I will be needing something to run point of sale software, I am reluctant to blow £1199 on a fully blow POS system as I don't need half the features. I have managed to get some open source POS software but it requires the full fat version of windows to work, other free/cheap software for ipads and android is not cheap or it lacks all the functionality in the free versions.

The most important thing to me is the accuracy of the touch screen, how do you rate that aspect of it? I mean I've used some cheap tablets before that really seem to have no idea where you are pressing on the screen.

How do you find the screen size in terms of usability, I would need to use it (in the short term at least) as the main computer also. Nothing to heavy but a bit of office based stuff like spread sheets . Do you find it comfortable enough to use as a more traditional laptop? Do you rate the keyboard it comes with, apart from the issues highlighted?

Also does it feel sturdy enough, especially how the keyboard and power connectors attach?

The other option would be pay a few 100 more for the touchscreen laptop PCS are offering so I'm not 100% sure yet but the tablet would take up a good bit less space and if your saying it looks good then that's a bonus too.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Great review, +rep. :)

If you could add some images we'll add your review to the configurator section on our website!

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg
Nice review :) you got any pictures?

here you are mate, sorry for the delay. the gemini being a tablet i wanted to compare it to my wifes ipad 4th gen and as you can see its larger but thinner. the windows 8.1 touch keyboard is also very responsive - i prefer it to apple's touch keyboard.

Ah just what I've been waiting for. Someone who actually has one of these. I'm looking to get one of these as I'm getting made redundant in the next few weeks and looking to start a business. For that business I will be needing something to run point of sale software, I am reluctant to blow £1199 on a fully blow POS system as I don't need half the features. I have managed to get some open source POS software but it requires the full fat version of windows to work, other free/cheap software for ipads and android is not cheap or it lacks all the functionality in the free versions.

The most important thing to me is the accuracy of the touch screen, how do you rate that aspect of it? I mean I've used some cheap tablets before that really seem to have no idea where you are pressing on the screen.

How do you find the screen size in terms of usability, I would need to use it (in the short term at least) as the main computer also. Nothing to heavy but a bit of office based stuff like spread sheets . Do you find it comfortable enough to use as a more traditional laptop? Do you rate the keyboard it comes with, apart from the issues highlighted?

Also does it feel sturdy enough, especially how the keyboard and power connectors attach?

The other option would be pay a few 100 more for the touchscreen laptop PCS are offering so I'm not 100% sure yet but the tablet would take up a good bit less space and if your saying it looks good then that's a bonus too.

Hiya. The touch screen is very good. As I said, I wouldn't rate it "excellent" as I cannot use a Microsoft Surface stylus with it as if it were a pen to paper (I cannot accurately annotate files with the stylus I use - see below for the kind of stylus I use). However, I have fat fingers and the screen is very accurate in its response to my touch - the only downside is that not a lot of programs at the moment are specifically designed for touch screen use with windows 8.1 so sometimes it can be fiddly to press the right button - don't expect large buttons for example that you have on Safari on an iPad. I ended up purchasing a bluetooth enabled Microsoft mouse and connect that to my Gemini for fiddly work.

Screen size is perfect - not too small, not too large which would make it feel like a full blown laptop. Keyboard is fantastic! I have big fingers and can touch type and have no problems with it at all - the keys are slightly raised so you can feel your way around the keys and they are well balanced in that you don't end up pressing a key multiple times in order for the keystroke to be registered. I took a picture of the Windows 8.1 touch keyboard and IMO it is more accurate and responsive than the Apple equivalent.

Does it feel sturdy? In a word - yes. The keyboard attaches to the main body with magnets and is solidly fixed.

As for your final sentence... at the moment the Gemini is not powerful enough to be a full laptop replacement (the SSD doesn't have a huge capacity, the CPU isn't amazingly powerful, and there are no dedicated graphics or sound cards) however it is a great option if you want (as I did) a laptop supplement, or an easily portable, light weight, (almost) instantly on system which can be conveniently stored and used for most day to day tasks aside (I use it for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Adobe and Windows Media Player and it hasn't lagged so far).

as for looks - well i'll quote my apple-loving wife: "that's sexy!"

stylus.jpg

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Cheers for that, I think you managed to convince me to give it a go. I will be using software specifically designed for touch, so that's not a problem. I know about the performance limitations vs the GPU, low powered CPU etc but from what your saying I think I will manage to use it for the basic back office functions of a business in the short term at least and I guess even if I cant I have a desktop I can use.

My main requirements would be for it to look good, which apparently it does, and for it to built to last which I guess only time will tell.

Thanks for getting back to me.

LFFPicard

Godlike
View attachment 4508View attachment 4509View attachment 4510View attachment 4511View attachment 4512

here you are mate, sorry for the delay. the gemini being a tablet i wanted to compare it to my wifes ipad 4th gen and as you can see its larger but thinner. the windows 8.1 touch keyboard is also very responsive - i prefer it to apple's touch keyboard.

Very good review, I was looking at tablets vs touch laptops recently too.

And that looks very much like a Specsavers room in the last picture :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster

Hah that was my first thought Picard :) though that may be because I need to go (bout 2 years overdue as ever :) )

Really nice review btw. If I ever went down the portable route, I still think I would prefer something like this over the (now) traditional tablet.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Its full windows, the OS is like half price when you buy it with the lowest powered processor. great deal IMO seriously tempted by one. Its the full version because it has an intel processor, so can handle it basically. The RT version run on ARM processors.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Its full windows, the OS is like half price when you buy it with the lowest powered processor. great deal IMO seriously tempted by one. Its the full version because it has an intel processor, so can handle it basically. The RT version run on ARM processors.

I thought this was the case, but with those specs and the price, I thought that would be the catch

Seriously though, this beats any tablet I've ever seen in everything apart from size, weight and screen resolution. And possibly battery life

Very good review, I was looking at tablets vs touch laptops recently too.

lol yes mate, it is a specsavers room - good eyes!

So one question, is this tablet full Windows 8 or Windows RT?

full windows 8.1. i think you can only get the rt version of it when you go for a celeron cpu, if you upgrade to an i5 you have to go for a windows 8.1 version

I thought this was the case, but with those specs and the price, I thought that would be the catch

Seriously though, this beats any tablet I've ever seen in everything apart from size, weight and screen resolution. And possibly battery life

its width and length are slightly larger than an iPad 4th gen as my pics show, but it is slightly thinner. weight wise, its comparable with the Surface and other laptop/tablet hybrids. i think only the surface pro 2 has a full hd screen. other than that, its a compromise as to what you want - surface pro 2 has full hd screen and a large ssd but is mighty expensive; and not many other hybrids have a ssd...

Last edited by a moderator:

LFFPicard

Godlike
lol yes mate, it is a specsavers room - good eyes!

Well I had my eyes tested last Thursday and sat in a room just like that!
Was not in there too long as she put the letter chart up and asked me what's the lowest line I can read so I read the bottom line out. So the rest of the tests were a breeze :)

Although, I can't work out what the numbers are she put on my prescription card for the doctor heh.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for adding the pictures - we've added your review to the configurator section on our website. :)

Hganaman

Hello,

Great review, I was just wondering (and pardon my ignorance if it's a stupid question) which integrated Intel HD graphics card is it?

Thanks in advance.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I want one :) how noisy is it? I would prefer to test it for a bit before purchasing it.

I would imagine its fanless, so silent! :D

I would love one as well if I could afford it. Gemini II or III will definitely be my next tablet!

Looks like the i3 should be capable of playing some good games on low such as Crysis 2, Mafia 2 and loads more! COD Black Ops on high! No iPad can do that!

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I would imagine its fanless, so silent! :D

I would love one as well if I could afford it. Gemini II or III will definitely be my next tablet!

Looks like the i3 should be capable of playing some good games on low such as Crysis 2, Mafia 2 and loads more! COD Black Ops on high! No iPad can do that!

I am not looking at playing only for watching movies at home and working (word, power point....). I am just unsure whether the screen (low resolution) will be good quality for watching movies/videos. I am also unsure on how big the power supply is.