Upgrade GPU - Compatibility ?

immortale

Hi, I tried to ask via mail but nobody replied. I just wonder why I cant have any options of upgrade my GeForce GTX770M and swap it for GTX 870M. :taz:I can´t see where is the problem with compatibility. Anyone have idea ?

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hello Immortale,

Have you tried the upgrade my existing machine option in the accounts page at all?

I know that there is more factors than just the hardware for upgrades on laptops, it also depends on Clevo BIOS upgrades being available and driver availability etc.

PCS also don't sell upgrades or machines that they have not tested themselves so if they haven't tried this upgrade yet this may be why it is not available yet.

Which Chasis do you have anyway?

You will only get a definitive answer from PCS and hopefully they will get back to you soon, might be worth giving them a call there really friendly.

Hope this helps

Mike

Rakk

The Awesome
Also remember that for some of the laptop chassis that the GPU is soldered onto the motherboard making upgrades not a viable option for existing laptops for those chassis.

immortale

ok, it seems fair enough now as i didn´t know that pcs first test the upgrade. Because I checked specs and everything should be ok. But what I wonder that PCS don´t tell what motherboard is inside my rig. BTW I have Vortex IV which can hold this card.
And yes I tried it trough the upgrade button ;-) It´s not essential for me to upgrade it know as I have it just about a month but I was fed up :D that about 2 weeks after I got it there was knew better GPU technically for same price :D

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
ok, it seems fair enough now as i didn´t know that pcs first test the upgrade. Because I checked specs and everything should be ok. But what I wonder that PCS don´t tell what motherboard is inside my rig. BTW I have Vortex IV which can hold this card.
And yes I tried it trough the upgrade button ;-) It´s not essential for me to upgrade it know as I have it just about a month but I was fed up :D that about 2 weeks after I got it there was knew better GPU technically for same price :D

Try to give then a call. You should be able to upgrade to the gtx 780m

immortale

So, PCS replied and it is because VBIOS for this card hasn´t been released yet. So it is just matter of time I guess ;-)

Jazman

So, PCS replied and it is because VBIOS for this card hasn´t been released yet. So it is just matter of time I guess ;-)

PCS seem to tell people different things. I've seen people with the exact same model of laptop as mine (Vortex IV) be told the opposite to what I've been told by PCS etc. What I was told by PCS when I asked the question was that each GPU means a completely different Chasis and that the only the card I selected when I bought the laptop will fit and no chance of upgrading in the future

Jazman

It can¨t be true as they sell Vortex IV with GTX 8 series. So it has to be physically compatible.

See that's exactly what I said but apparently I'm wrong. I guess only Time will tell because the specs of the laptop on Clevo's website say it supported the GTX760m and the 765m but there were still no upgrade options. If any Pop up it would be interesting to know

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
It can¨t be true as they sell Vortex IV with GTX 8 series. So it has to be physically compatible.

PCS buy the laptop chassis with the GPU soldered in. There are many different Vortex IV chassis on the clevo website, each has a different GPU.

If you did want to upgrade it then they'd have to buy a new chassis with the GPU in, remove all of the components from the old chassis and then put them in the new chassis, which I don't think they'd be prepared to do and it'd be very very expensive.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
The vortex series have removable GPU, i take mine out regulatory for cleaning also you would be able to do the upgrade yourself, if the BIOS was avalable but the hardware change is about as easy as changing RAM

I think the series below Vortex have the soldered GPUs

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
The vortex series have removable GPU, i take mine out regulatory for cleaning also you would be able to do the upgrade yourself, if the BIOS was avalable but the hardware change is about as easy as changing RAM

I think the series below Vortex have the soldered GPUs

Ah, thought they were all soldered, my bad. I'm still assuming that PCS would have to buy the whole chassis though, then remove the GPU and swap them around.

steaky360

I suspect they can buy the GPU's separately, I'm only guessing but if they're removable it makes no sense to 'have' to buy the whole chassis just to get the graphics card :)

Jazman

Just checked mine and it is removable as SmokeDarknight said. It's kind of annoying as I don't know whether to believe anything PcS tell me because when I emailed about multiple hard disks one person told me that I could only have 1 (which was wrong) and then when I questioned it another told me it could have 2 with a caddy (which is correct).

They said the gpu can't be changed and it's part of the chassis yet most of you guys have said in this thread and other threads that it can be removed...

immortale

That can be true but PCS wrote me themselves that problem ain´t psychically incompatibility but the VBIOS update. So I hope it is just matter of time.

Jazman

That can be true but PCS wrote me themselves that problem ain´t psychically incompatibility but the VBIOS update. So I hope it is just matter of time.

See what I mean about them telling different people different things? Fingers crossed its just a VBIOS Update and just a matter of time like you say

tessa123

Hi, I tried to ask via mail but nobody replied. I just wonder why I cant have any options of upgrade my GeForce GTX770M and swap it for GTX 870M. :taz:I can´t see where is the problem with compatibility. Anyone have idea ?

Any power consumption problem?