Nvidia GeForce GTX 880 DirectX 12 Graphics Card Detailed

bigben

Master Poster
Just have to hope it's not more powerful than my SLI GTX670s. Otherwise I'll probably do a typical me and blow a load of money on one.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
lol, nah thanks. Considering most pc games are console ports. The new consoles which have only just made the jump to dx11. Whats the point of forking out for dx12 capable gear? only a few "AAA" games will support it.

Spuff

Expert
'Nvidia has said all its existing DirectX 11 GPUs will also be compatible with DX12'.
So I think all the GPUs we all have now are DX12 capable.
I don't know what the difference between being ready and fully ready is.

Xbox will get DX12.

But we've got a least a year until DX12, and then I suppose there will be very few big games making full use of it when it is released. It could be 3 or 4 years before all the AAA games are improved by it.

Last edited:

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Worth upgrading from a 780? I don't think so at the moment, I'll probably end up skipping the 800 series.

Spuff

Expert
Worth upgrading from a 780? I don't think so at the moment, I'll probably end up skipping the 800 series.

Indeed, I'm hoping my 780 will last until Pascal or beyond (I'm banging on about that a bit at the moment), if it is the consumer future, settles down.
I certainly don't need to go above 1080p (until my TV/monitor breaks down and you can only get hugely K'd TVs).

Last edited:
T

TheGeeza

lol, nah thanks. Considering most pc games are console ports. The new consoles which have only just made the jump to dx11. Whats the point of forking out for dx12 capable gear? only a few "AAA" games will support it.
Yeah, that's unfortunately the case :( We can only hope that this generation of consoles is the last.

D1craig

Enthusiast
i read a report saying the 20nm will not be ready for mass production until very late 2014.

not guna link it im sure all you tech savvy guys/gals will be much better at searching this stuff than me.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I wonder what Nvidia could come up with if they took all their top secret technology (the stuff we all know they have but will never reach consumers for another 10 years or something) and just whacked it into one card, right now.