Linux Laptop - Gaming Spec

XplosiV

Bronze Level Poster
So I'm new to linux, I have managed to install it onto a friends PC (Mint-KDE) but that was real old hardware.

I'm looking to get this spec, but to use with linux, probably Mint 16-kde as my new main gaming laptop, but also for general use. The plan is that it should last me several years (I can hope) Any thoughts or suggestions welcome. I've already checked out the Nvidia site, and there are drivers available for linux.

Code:
Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4810MQ (2.80GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM)
32GB KINGSTON SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (4 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 870M - 6.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

FREE £90 IN-GAME VOUCHER with GTX 650 / 750 /7000M / 8000M Series GPUs

Memory - Hard Disk
1TB SEAGATE HYBRID GEN3 SSHD Drive, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (5400 rpm)

2nd Hard Disk
1TB SEAGATE HYBRID GEN3 SSHD Drive, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (5400 rpm)

RAID
RAID 0 (STRIPED VOLUME - 2 x same size & model HDD / SSD) (£9)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
6x BLURAY ROM, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE

Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-7260 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) + BLUETOOTH

USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD

Firewire
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT

Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)

Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 230W AC Adaptor

Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE

Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD

Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE

Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£69)

Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days

Stephen M

Author Level
Do you need RAID? I would not bother with Hybrid drives but get a decent SSD for first drive and then a fast HDD. The problem with hybrids is you have no control over what goes where, ideally you want the OS and main progs on the SSD. What will this be used for other than gaming, 32GB RAM is OTT for a gaming machine.

XplosiV

Bronze Level Poster
Other than gaming, just the usual stuff, surfing, movies, updating other kit where possible (like kies for samsung, toolbox for mazda etc) I know 32GB ram is probably OTT, but I'm not looking to be upgrading bits later, I'd much rather just get it and keep it how it stands. My main concern is that the hardware is supported.

pr1s0ner

Most hardware is fairly plug and play with linux these days. Only issues I really come across these days are with some network controllers. Usually fixable (although 2nd pc may be required to grab any files you might need)

T

TheGeeza

I agree with Stephen M. You would be best just going with an SSD for boot and fast HDD for storage. The hybrid drives really are an unusual choice for a desktop in my opinion.

XplosiV

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for your input guy's.

Taking your opinions account, what do you think of the following;

Assuming the setup can be done in this way:

Sata 1 : 750 Scorpio black
Sata 2 : 750 Scorpio black
Msata 1 : Plaxtor 256gb SSD
Msata 2 : Plaxtor 256gb SSD

RAID 0 the Plaxtor drives (more for capacity than speed) if need be remove the sata drives first, then refit after the Linux install

So I end up with essentially a 512gb ssd for linux, and 2 jbod 750's for data. It's the more expensive option, but the whole idea is I won't have to buy another laptop for years. If only I could afford the jump to the 8gb graphics card.

Thought's and opinions welcome, thanks.

mishra

Rising Star
Is there any reason you need specifically RAID 0 ?! It is really asking for troubles. Speed benefits, yes these are there, but you are doubling the chance of loosing ALL of your data. I would not touch RAID 0 with a barge pole. If you need speed get an SSD instead. RAID 0 is a gimmick.. unless you are storing data you totally don't care about.

edit: Sorry I didn't read you post properly. These are already SSDs. Still I believe you will be better off avoiding RAID 0.

XplosiV

Bronze Level Poster
Only the OS and applications will be on the Msata, anything I want to keep goes onto my 4.2TB RAID5 NAS.

RAIDing the Msata's was purely for capacity, but I've since realised that with Linux I can designate some partitions to the scorpio blacks, like /home etc, to free up space on the SSD for a cache partition and applications.

As long as I can fit the OS, Cache, and say 100-150gb free for applications on the SSD, I figure the guts of the system are running about as fast as they can, while other less used/demanding data stored on the Scorpio black's will still read/write quick enough without wasting SSD space.

So I probably don't need the two Msata's, just the one, and don't need RAID after all... Probably.

mishra

Rising Star
Yeah, agree you can mount drives as you wish with linux. 256Gb SSD is more than enough for linux system partition and swap. It is nice to see more and more people using Linux as it'a amazing O/S not only for servers. Can be used as home system just as fine. Having said that, making a Linux gaming machine is a brave move... but +rep for trying :)

XplosiV

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for your helpful replies. I have a couple of months to get my head around things, I figure it's all else fails I'll still have a decent windows laptop.

I'm actually in the process of installing LM16kde onto my older laptop, (6 years old) to get a better feel for it and suss things out in the real world.

I also figure wine will help a lot with making games compatible.

pr1s0ner

also worth taking a look at playonlinux and codeweavers as both can really simplify getting windows games running.

tbh I tend to avoid a lot of games that don't run natively these days (aside from must have releases of course lol)

XplosiV

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks, I'm going to spend some time tonight wrapping my head around partitions, then maybe see if I can figgure out conky. Then I'll look deeper into the gaming side of things and take a look at those two. First stop is wine, then steam just to see what's what and what works with those as a basis.

XplosiV

Bronze Level Poster
Doing a re-install tomorrow. Going to re-partition the drives again. Then it's a case of, install & updates, and try to get Windows Steam working, then Wine & Playonlinux. Should be a good day. Sidelining Conky for now.