Type of RAM

bonalste

Hi guys

I'm considering a build, in fact it is more or less finalised, but I have a question about the RAM.

Now, the HyperX fury is clocked at 1600mhz, but I understand that it automatically clocks itself to the motherboard's maximum? Or something along those lines, I really am a novice at this, with no real idea what I'm taking about.

Now. The Beast RAM, from my understanding, will come clocked at 1600mhz and I believe will be slightly less efficient than some RAM that was designed to operate at that clock speed, but if I order an Overclocked CPU (the Overclocked 4770K), will this RAM come clocked higher? And which will be higher, the Beast at, what, 2133?, or the Fury which will automatically clock itself higher? The beast is cheaper than the Fury, but only slightly, and the money difference really isn't an issue.

So basically what I'm asking is, with an Overclocked build, which would I be better purchasing, the Fury or the Beast?

Hello, by the way. I'm new here and this is my first time getting a PC from anyone other than Time or Dell! Never done anything more complicated than fitting in some extra RAM and updating my GPU 15 years ago.

Last edited:

bonalste

Mainly gaming and photoshop, with some video editing. Just the one screen. At the moment I'm thinking the Fury but I am also considering the fact that it is more expensive so will only get that if it gives me superior performance. My main ambition is to keep it future-proof as best as I can.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
If you're overclocking the CPU then the Beast RAM @2400MHz will be beneficial. The Fury runs @1600MHz and would advisable if you're running your CPU at stock speeds.

bonalste

If you're overclocking the CPU then the Beast RAM @2400MHz will be beneficial. The Fury runs @1600MHz and would advisable if you're running your CPU at stock speeds.

I understood that the Fury RAM will automatically clock above 1600MHz up to 1866, and the PCS builder offers beast ram clocked at only 2133MHz (although for some reason it states that 8Gb of RAM will clock at 2400MHz... I'm not sure why there is the difference between that and the 16 I'm building - possibly because the 8 is 2x4 and the 16 is 2x8?).

So, what would be more efficient/run faster - Beast running at 2133MHz (therefore lower than it's max rated 2400 and thus less efficiently) or Fury running at 1866MHz (the maximum rating and thus, I believe, most efficient)? Or is it all pretty much the same and I won't notice the difference while editing photos and videos? I know I won't tell a difference gaming. Also, I've heard that PCS will ship the beast RAM clocking at 1600MHz anyway. Now I am a novice with computers and changing this is probably something I'm not too comfortable doing. Would I therefore be better off with the Fury which does it by itself?